Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually?

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #21  
This horse has been beaten to death here: :mur:
2020 Tundra HD Diesel confirmed? Uhh...NOPE! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Not duallies but diesels. Nonetheless same issue, silence from yota.
Interesting reading from the Tundra owners.

I've got a 14' CM 4x4. You'll read about the mpg really sucks as compared to the other big three striving to make some improvements.
We've been asking for a 6.5 box for work vice the grocery getter 5.5 box; we've been screaming to yota to throw us a bone, nyet.

So a dually definitely has to be a rumor from a pot stirrer to see what shakes out...:cool:
Side note hauled the NX back to Paige from home and the Tundra was best towing at around 55 to 60. Hand calc weight of machine, FEL, water ballast and trailer and short fat driver is around 9750lbs. Later in the spring will take to CAT scales in Victoria and get a cert. number.
So, looking at the Ram 6.4 and F-250 6.2l.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #22  
As an Ex Ford Diesel Dually guy and many other Ford trucks before and even one after that... and I do miss my old 7.3L. I have been very well served by my Tundras including my now current Sequoia which is a more versatile vehicle for my needs. I had a Tacoma in between but just could not get used to the smaller interior but all of my Toyotas have been good. No problems at all from them. Fuel mileage aside... I can't complain about them and would consider a Dually as well as a Diesel offering from them. But having seen the competitions offerings prices lately... doubt I want to try and afford one!

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #23  
Well, a beefy half ton frame. I would presume a dually would be all new and like the step up from the T100 to the Tundra.

It’s no tougher than the other 1/2 ton frames, since it does not tow or have higher payload capacity then all the rest. A 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton if it tows 200 lbs more than the other ones, it does not make a 3/4 ton. The 3/4 tons tow way more than the 1/2 tons can

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #24  
Toyota may not sell as many Tundras, I do not know the numbers, But a lot of people who need drw dumps or flatbeds have to buy one of the big 3 to get one. So they may want to just stick with one brand in their yard.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #25  
I own a 1980 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser and belong to the local Toyota off road club. I also have a 2016 Toyota Avalon for my 50 mile one-way commute, so I love my Toyota's.

However, I test drove some full size 1/2 ton trucks back to back and I found the Tundra to just not be very inspiring. It felt long in the tooth and the interior was a big step below the offerings from the American big three. The 5.7L V8 was pretty boss though.

Ford especially has been devoting major resources to the truck segment with all new aluminum bodies, lots of options in engines, and very high towing capacities. I think Toyota could have a dog in the fight if they devoted more resources to the segment. They have the know-how to build some of the best vehicles in the world, but just like with everything else, some manufacturers are better in some areas than others.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #26  
First off I’m a Cummins guy, had one since 04. I’m not trying to say anything negative about Yota, heck I think it’s peretty much universally know the Hilux is the baddest little truck on the planet. That said the big truck market is a different animal. Ford had 3-4 Diesel engines in a 6year span and still won the market in HD truck sales (why I will never understand) but they are the big dog, Chevy has a great transmission (Allison) and light quick fun to drive trucks, Ram/Dodge/Fiat (whoever they are this year, lol) have the Cummins, the most commercially designed big rig like straight 6 diesel on the market. I just think it’s by far the toughest market and you can bankrupt your company if your wrong. So my question is the big 3 have the market and each have a niche.
What is Toyota going to bring that’s going to get the HD truck guy to buy? In all honesty, not at all trying to be a jerk.

On a side note I think it’s crazy you can buy a 3500 or a 350 and tow 30,000 lbs. What’s next for the big 3,that’s commercial hauling territory and I’m not sure I want just anyone that can afford it being able to drag 30k down the road.

Anyway be safe gents, Rye.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #27  
First off I知 a Cummins guy, had one since 04. I知 not trying to say anything negative about Yota, heck I think it痴 peretty much universally know the Hilux is the baddest little truck on the planet. That said the big truck market is a different animal. Ford had 3-4 Diesel engines in a 6year span and still won the market in HD truck sales (why I will never understand) but they are the big dog, Chevy has a great transmission (Allison) and light quick fun to drive trucks, Ram/Dodge/Fiat (whoever they are this year, lol) have the Cummins, the most commercially designed big rig like straight 6 diesel on the market. I just think it痴 by far the toughest market and you can bankrupt your company if your wrong. So my question is the big 3 have the market and each have a niche.
What is Toyota going to bring that痴 going to get the HD truck guy to buy? In all honesty, not at all trying to be a jerk.

On a side note I think it痴 crazy you can buy a 3500 or a 350 and tow 30,000 lbs. What痴 next for the big 3,that痴 commercial hauling territory and I知 not sure I want just anyone that can afford it being able to drag 30k down the road.

Anyway be safe gents, Rye.

You bring good observations to the table.
You're also spot on about the crazy towing/HP wars. It only adds to cost on top of EPA mandates. In real world use commercial business owners will use those numbers but will grocery getters actually use their trucks to that upper limit? No and if it continues to creep up will the state patrol find a new niche of revenue by throwing out scales for those large overloaded trucks?Hmmmm....

Toyota can bring their reliability/resale value to the table and build a 3/4 w/6.5 foot bed. If nothing else many are brand loyal right, sure we are.
I will never trust tiny cylinders boosted to do the work of a large bore even if millions of miles tested. It's just me. And the 5.0 not big enough either.
I'm now towing around 9750 tractor and BB or cutter and metal bed utility 20 footer.
So the 5.7l works hard but handles 55-60 mph just fine. However being OCD, I prefer having a 20-25% margin of safety.
So if I ever won a truck raffle I'd use it with my Tundra to get a F-250.
Though I'd be dumb enough to beta test a yota 3/4 ton....
Hey Toyota I'm volunteering call me.... :drink::D

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #28  
Back in the 80s Toyota had a mini pickup dually motor home chassis and up into the early 90s had a V6 mini pickup stake bed 1 ton and also did a run for Uhaul on moving trucks.

David

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #29  
My old Tacoma which I really liked was recalled due to frame failure (14 points) which ultimately resulted in a trade up to my current Tundra (2008) for which I have a frame inspection notice. The truck has ~80K miles on it, has not been abused, and I have already replaced two wheel bearings, two sets of brake cylinders/calipers, and thankfully the heat "shields" have all fallen off or were pulled off. Apparently road de-icer and parking on gravel are too much for the Toyota metallurgy up here in the NE CONUS. I undercoated it this Winter.

I will not buy another Toyota product.

I would chalk your repairs up to the snow melt solution they spray on the roads in CT and MA. My 06 Chevy Trailblazer has replaced wheel bearings, brakes, brake lines, transmission lines, all from rust damage to the DOT's calcium chloride solution. If we lived elsewhere, we would not have these issues.

/ Has anyone heard that Toyota is coming out with a Tundra dually? #30  
Back in the 80s Toyota had a mini pickup dually motor home chassis and up into the early 90s had a V6 mini pickup stake bed 1 ton and also did a run for Uhaul on moving trucks.

David

There's a guy in town that drives dually Toyota. It's a little bitty truck it's like the same cab as a Tacoma. It might have been equally to the same period 3/4 ton, but it's no where close to Fords or Chevys dually of the time. That reminds me of a potential project I've got. Has anyone made a truck from an RV? Sadly this one was a complete rv body and didn't have a truck cab. My grandpa paid $200 for it and we did pretty good scrapping the aluminum siding and frame work off of it. He's still got the drive train part. It's pretty heavy duty. Probably comparable to a F-450.