5k on 5k trailer..

/ 5k on 5k trailer.. #1  

screamin400

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Mahindra 2538, 2016 Mahindra 2655, 2017 CaseIH 75C, 2021 CaseIH 110c., 2020 Kubota svl 65-2, 2022 Kubota svl 75-2
Well business is far better than I expected. Last year I purchased a new truck and the year before I purchased a new trailer. This year so far I have purchased a new tractor. I cannot purchase anything more. Tractor is a Mahindra 2655 with loader and 7' box blade. Shipping weight is 4200, loader weight 1200 beet juice about 1000 box blade 700. Total approx. 7100 give or take. Now the problem. I also have a 2500 pound ride on roller. This would put me at 9600. I have put airbags in the truck already. If I have a gvw of 10000 on my trailer and put 1000 on my truck I am still overloaded. I will be overloaded on the tires as well. I think it will haul if for a short run but not sure it will be safe. Yes, I have heard the stories of folks hauling crazy loads. I need to be safe. I am intending to bid more jobs not using the roller and making that an option and send truck and trailer back for it. I do have a 14k new trailer I can borrow but being heavier it is taxing my truck. Truck is a new f150 turbo with approx tow capacity of 11k. Power is not an issue. GVW is. Trailer has a capacity of 7100. I think I would be pushing it hard enough something may give. I know I will try the 14k at least once to see how my truck likes that. What do you think?

/ 5k on 5k trailer.. #2  
Well business is far better than I expected. Last year I purchased a new truck and the year before I purchased a new trailer. This year so far I have purchased a new tractor. I cannot purchase anything more. Tractor is a Mahindra 2655 with loader and 7' box blade. Shipping weight is 4200, loader weight 1200 beet juice about 1000 box blade 700. Total approx. 7100 give or take. Now the problem. I also have a 2500 pound ride on roller. This would put me at 9600. I have put airbags in the truck already. If I have a gvw of 10000 on my trailer and put 1000 on my truck I am still overloaded. I will be overloaded on the tires as well. I think it will haul if for a short run but not sure it will be safe. Yes, I have heard the stories of folks hauling crazy loads. I need to be safe. I am intending to bid more jobs not using the roller and making that an option and send truck and trailer back for it. I do have a 14k new trailer I can borrow but being heavier it is taxing my truck. Truck is a new f150 turbo with approx tow capacity of 11k. Power is not an issue. GVW is. Trailer has a capacity of 7100. I think I would be pushing it hard enough something may give. I know I will try the 14k at least once to see how my truck likes that. What do you think?

Well, short of buying a new truck and trailer, I think you found your answer. Just bid the job to make up for returning for the roller.

/ 5k on 5k trailer.. #3  

The big question is.....
Can the hitch on your F-150 legally accept 1400 lbs. of tongue weight (10% of 14K gross)?
You will probably need to use a weight distribution (Equal-i-zer) hitch.
If your hitch can legally take 1400 lbs. tongue weight...... try the 14K trailer, and see how it feels.
You may find that safe stopping distance will be your biggest problem.

/ 5k on 5k trailer..
New truck and trailer is out. I have a heavy equalizer hitch on now along with 2k air bags that help. I was hauling at max capacity with my 2538 and roller or maybe just over. I just ran the numbers and shipping weight is 1169 pounds more than other tractor. Loader is 285 more and beet juice in the area of 200 more. That is a total of 1654 more than I was towing. I already was at the max.

/ 5k on 5k trailer.. #5  
New truck and trailer is out. I have a heavy equalizer hitch on now along with 2k air bags that help. I was hauling at max capacity with my 2538 and roller or maybe just over. I just ran the numbers and shipping weight is 1169 pounds more than other tractor. Loader is 285 more and beet juice in the area of 200 more. That is a total of 1654 more than I was towing. I already was at the max.

Did you not say that you have a 14K trailer available to you?

/ 5k on 5k trailer..
I do.I am sure I will try it but hate borrowing

/ 5k on 5k trailer.. #7  
All the angles in the world can't overcome mathematics.

Not sure why you bought a 1/2T truck to do trailer towing work. May have to go back and correct that error.

I'll get flamed for this, but, I consider a 1/2T truck an SUV. Actually there are some SUVs that will out tow a 1/2T truck. :)

/ 5k on 5k trailer..
Changed business mid stream. I own a couple diff. business' and made a change in the landscaping one. Truck was for a diff. one but not replacing.

/ 5k on 5k trailer.. #9  
What’s axles are under the Trailer? Never heard of 5k they have 5200lb though. That would put it at 10,400. I think you could get real close. Could upgrade the tires atleast.

Brett

/ 5k on 5k trailer.. #10  
Changed business mid stream. I own a couple diff. business' and made a change in the landscaping one. Truck was for a diff. one but not replacing.

Totally understand. Then plan two trips. Those on the highway with you will appreciate it. :)