Comments on trailer please

/ Comments on trailer please #11  
Thanks all - I'll look for something else!

While I've got you here - the turn-around by my barn - basically a very tight cul-de-sac - is... tight. With a small enclosed cargo trailer I don't have a problem making it (if I time my turn just right) but I'm wondering how the geometry of a longer trailer affects turning radius - does the length of the trailer affect the turning radius at all (with a bumper pull - not gooseneck) or is it mostly the tongue length?

Sorry for the newb question.

It's all geometry. If the tow vehicle can make the 'U-turn' without backing up, the trailer will likely follow... if the trailer doesn't jackknife into the tow vehicle bumper when turning that tight. The other issue, though typically to a lesser extent, it 'tail swing', if the trailer has a large portion of length behind the axles. At my previous job, we had a 30' gooseneck with hydraulic dove tail, there was about 10' of tail behind the rear tires, and it would swing wide and was something to be aware of...

A shorter tow vehicle makes it easier to turn the longer trailer. My extended cab short bed truck is a breeze to tow with, compared to FIL's extended cab long bed... or his brother's crew cab long bed... be it towing my bumper pull or their 24' goosenecks .

/ Comments on trailer please #12  
Longer trailers track wider but in the given instance I'm not sure how much difference it makes as long as the trailer isn't so long that it's possible to jack knife while going forward. It's not a problem with leaf spring front end Fords, but it is possible to get a GN trailer into the cab of short bed truck with a coil spring front end while traveling forward. And I disagree with the common statement of longer trailers being easier to back. Maybe in a straight line but not much else. As long as as I can see the trailer I have a much easier time backing a short trailer down the driveway and into the road without driving in the grass. It's impossible to do that with my 25 foot GN and I have an easier time doing it with my 8 foot trailer vs my 12 foot trailer

/ Comments on trailer please #14  
Longer trailers track wider but in the given instance I'm not sure how much difference it makes as long as the trailer isn't so long that it's possible to jack knife while going forward. It's not a problem with leaf spring front end Fords, but it is possible to get a GN trailer into the cab of short bed truck with a coil spring front end while traveling forward. And I disagree with the common statement of longer trailers being easier to back. Maybe in a straight line but not much else. As long as as I can see the trailer I have a much easier time backing a short trailer down the driveway and into the road without driving in the grass. It's impossible to do that with my 25 foot GN and I have an easier time doing it with my 8 foot trailer vs my 12 foot trailer
A gooseneck is different than a bumper pull, and opinions can vary. I find a longer trailer easier to back simply because it doesn't start to jackknife as quickly; I often would back my tandem axle down my curved 300 foot driveway. The worst was the mulcher I used to pull behind a hay truck with a 23' rack body; you couldn't see the darned thing behind the load and had to do it by feel.

/ Comments on trailer please #15  
Backing in a straight line id rather have the long trailer any time. Backing around curves I'd probably rather have my 12 foot trailer over the 8 footer. For my most common trailer use of mowing residential yards I prefer the 8 foot trailer because it's easier to get backed out of the driveway onto the street without hitting mailboxes on the other side of the road. I used to have a shorter GN and it tracked better going forward and was more controllable going backwards. It was only 5 foot shorter. I contribute most of the difference being added friction to overcome on the duel tandem wanting to go straight.

/ Comments on trailer please #16  

While I've got you here - the turn-around by my barn - basically a very tight cul-de-sac - is... tight. With a small enclosed cargo trailer I don't have a problem making it (if I time my turn just right) but I'm wondering how the geometry of a longer trailer affects turning radius - does the length of the trailer affect the turning radius at all (with a bumper pull - not gooseneck) or is it mostly the tongue length?

I have a 90 f250 extended cab and a 20 ft trailer. Backing is a pain in the butt. The truck is 23 ft long. Here at the house to get the back yard it tricky cause it "S" turns. Now if I bring the trailer home I unhook in the front yard and use the jeep to back it in.

/ Comments on trailer please #17  
Guy here near Portland OR makes a 10000# trailer for $2500. He does a nice job. MS trailer. Would be a much better buy even with the trip to get it.

/ Comments on trailer please #18  

What you appear to be concerned about is getting around turns. That is off tracking. In general the distance from the ball to the center of the axles will determine how much it will off track. So if that is longer than the trailer you have it will off track more plus any additional width.