To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
We have been babying along our vehicles for the last year or so. Everything we have is over 150K. Audi A6 at 180K, Toyota Sequoia at 180K, Tahoe at 199K.

My wife's Tahoe just dropped Reverse gear. It will still go into all others, but Reverse is out. We haven't had anything more going on with it, although, I hear a very subtle knock when idling... kind of like a lifter is on its way.

I am trying to figure out whether to go for the fix of a rebuilt replacement, or just call it good, and walk away. I am surprised that we went 200K with it honestly. The only thing that has had any issues was the AC, heat mixer vacuum switch, and changing fluids/brakes.

About 2 years ago, I had a Toyota 4Runner which was my favorite vehicle. I put 186K on it, and one day, the front differential went out. Nothing before had gone bad, so I had them fix the differential, and within 400 miles, my engine blew. Bucket of bolts, dropped lifter through the cylinder type sound. I didn't even look. I towed it to the garage, they said Yep, its done, and I gave it to a friend who junked it.

So, I am leary of putting too much $$$ into this Tahoe, but I would like to get some more cheap mileage out of it if possible. I hate the idea of a car payment. I haven't had one since I bought my mom a car a few years ago. But, I also know that at any time, my Sequoia or A6 could go as well, leaving only the F350 dually diesel running, and it really isn't a commuter.

So... what say you? I'd take $1000 for another 3-6mo of driving over $1000/mo payment. (I don't run out my payments and I wouldn't even want more than a 2yr loan if I could swing it. But I have too many other bills at this moment.)

Do you think it is worth giving it a shot and fixing the transmission or would you just call it good and walk away?

I am right at 50/50. I haven't taken it in to see the cost of a rebuild and installation. So if you have some guidance on reasonable $$$ for this, I'd appreciate it.

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #2  
Salvage yard guaranteed used?

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #3  
I would walk away , When they get old its one thing after another :(

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #4  
Replace the transmission with local rebuild. Put pump saver in transfer case (If you have 4WD) while it is out. A common cause of transmission issues is putting it in drive before the reverse motion is stopped. Even backing up slow and then putting it in drive to move forward before you have stopped completely puts a bunch of stress on the transmission.

I can get a good local rebuild here for $1300-1500 (removing and installing myself). The pump saver repairs a defect in GM transfer cases (I should say that it helps prevent a failure).

Here is a local craigslist ad, not saying he is any good, but has a good story to tell.. you might have some in your area.
4l6e 4l8e 7r4 Transmission Rebuilds Best Price 4l6 GMC CHEVROLET - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #5  
I’m in the same boat as you, I have a 99 Yukon , I use all the time as a run around to keep from using my F250 or Jeep, the sun shell just broke at 160,000 they want 1800 for a complete turn key rebuild on the 4l60e , no way I want to put that type of money in it, so I’m going to pull it and fix it myself, but I have a shop and lift and don’t mind working on it. Your really just going to have to decide which is best for you, the older and more miles the more repairs that will be needed. Is this a vehicle that you can do without now and then until repairs can be made or is it one that you can’t do without.

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #6  
I wouldn't buy one with that kind of miles and no reverse but it's your's and you know how it has been taken care of, around here $1000.00 to $1800.00 will get you a full rebuild and at the end of the day you know what you have and it will have some re-sale value with a working transmission.

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #7  
For me it would depend on the rest of the vehicle condition and the cost of fixing. I put a transmission in one of my junk trucks. Junkyard transmission $250. Clutch rebuild on transmission $120. Shade tree mechanic $200 to swap. If the Tahoe is 2wd swapping transmissions is way easier. There's no way I'd pay upwards of a thousand on an already junk vehicle. My suburban has 206,000 miles and is still a solid vehicle that doesn't nickel and dime me to death. My Silverado had 227,000 when I sold it and was a piece of junk. My buddy has a Silverado that has 250,000 miles on it, and it's a piece of junk. My conclusion is highway only vehicles are good for more than 200,000 miles and pickups that are off roaded are about junk by then.

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse
KBB trade in value in 'good' condition is $1,760... so I think I am going to wave goodbye.

Anyone have any idea about selling to a junkyard or best place/way to get 'top dollar' at this point? I've driven everything into the ground before, and this is no exception. However, I've never had something I could actually still drive to the salvage yard.

Do you just drive up and say 'here it is, what will you give me?'

Not that I want to spend a bunch of time and effort on this, but if you guys have any thoughts on getting what I can out of it, I'd appreciate it.

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #9  
KBB trade in value in 'good' condition is $1,760... so I think I am going to wave goodbye.

Anyone have any idea about selling to a junkyard or best place/way to get 'top dollar' at this point? I've driven everything into the ground before, and this is no exception. However, I've never had something I could actually still drive to the salvage yard.

Do you just drive up and say 'here it is, what will you give me?'

Not that I want to spend a bunch of time and effort on this, but if you guys have any thoughts on getting what I can out of it, I'd appreciate it.

Here you go :) Donate Car to Kars4Kids | Top Rated Car Donation Charity

/ To do... or not to do... 2001 Tahoe 199,000 ... no reverse #10  
My father has a 1999 F-350 7.3L that has 185,000 miles on it.

In 2016 we put a 2015 F350 8' bed and step tailgate on it, that was $3500.
In 2017 spent:
$2500 on a 4R100.
$400 rear driveshaft
$1,300 on complete strip down and then re-assemble of front axle for carrier bearings, seals, U-Joints, ball joints, unit bearings. Gears were fine.

2018 was $3200 for new (not reman) diesel injectors, glow plugs, glow plug relays, under valve cover wire harness.

$11,000 in repairs in the last 4 years. I keep telling him to throw up the white flag. The door bottoms are going bad again and the cab corners are starting to blister. So in the next year he will be spending a few more grand on body work since he will not drive a vehicle with any exposed rust.

But that same money could have made payments on a much newer, slightly used truck that has nicer features. But, the guy loves his old Steelers truck!

Attachments

• 99 F350 3.jpg
    99 F350 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • 99 F350 2.jpg
    99 F350 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
  • 99 F350 1.jpg
    99 F350 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 118