Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers...

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #1  

Redbug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I am looking to get a camper, (preference is a newer model used), in the 20 or 22 foot range. I have noticed quite a lot of campers having only a single axle. I think the newer campers must be lighter in weight than the older models hence the single axle. But I wonder about towing a camper with a single axle. I am used to double axle campers. What are your opinions on campers with single axles or the doubles in the 20 foot range? Do any of you have the singles and what do you think? Seems doubles would be safer, etc...or am I wrong and old fashioned?

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #2  
I would think that the towability of the trailer would be the same, I would think I would prefer the twin axle myself, but there is more bearings and tires and springs to maintain, if the tongue weight is correct it really should not make any difference on the towing to my understanding,

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #3  
I think double would be safer if a tire blows at highway speed...

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #5  
I have just taken a job in the RV industry. Been through about a dozen RV plants over the past couple of weeks and have seen everything from the small, single axles up to the triple axle toy haulers. A lot of the companies are making lighter units designed to be pulled with a smaller, more fuel efficient car. The single axle rigs will be smaller and lighter but will be perfectly fine if you like the floorplan.

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #6  
I would suggest tandem axles, unless it's a "micro" trailer. (like a 14' Casita) I drive an 18-wheeler for a living, and have several farm trailers. To me, anything bigger than a ATV/lawn mower trailer, needs two axles.

With any single axle trailer, you may very well experience the "tail wagging the dog." Especially if the weight of the trailer is close to the weight of the tow vehicle. (or even greater) An equalizer, or weight distributing hitch, can help, BUT the buyer's remorse will be terrible if you can't comfortably tow your new trailer. I went with my cousin to pick up his new 24' ultra-light camper. It's a tandem that only weighs about 4500#. (about the same as his F-150 Super Crew) I encouraged him to get a WD hitch at the dealership, but the salesman convinced him that he didn't need one. (and he didn't want to spend the $$$) I thought he was going to cry before we made it 10 miles down the road. He was talking about trading his new F-150 in on a F-250. After a white-knuckle 300 miles home, I insisted that he get the hitch. He's happy with it now and has made several trips, without incident. Point is, don't take someone else's word for it. Especially a salesman who has no skin in the game. It's not his truck or his trailer, once you sign the papers.

The ideal situation would be to have a friend that has a similar rig and will let you drive it.

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #7  
Agree completely with Bigfoot62. All else being equal, a tandem axle trailer tows so much better. Unless it's a little (<12') utility/landscape trailer, I would insist on two axles.

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #8  
For short jaunts to a local park then a single axle would be fine. But long haul somewhere you will be better off with dual axles.

My biggest thought when I was searching, was what happens if you have a blow out away from home? When we were thinking about down sizing our 29ft feather lite to the 20ft to 24ft length I still wouldn't look at anything with out dual axles.

Dual axle will handle a blow out better and less chance of damage to something important and help support the load on the blow out side It's also more stabil towing.

Another thing to consider with a dual axle setup. You can always take a strap from the frame to the axle, and crank up a damaged side so it doesn't drag, and limp the trailer out of the road or to a safer location.

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers...
You know...I have been wondering about what answers I would get. My feeling has been a bit negative towards the single axle as well. That's why I had to ask. It looks like some of you also lean towards the double axle, too.

On the trailer lots it looks like the single axles are more numerous. I think because the one axle is a cheaper sell. I noticed that on the single axle trailers that weigh around 4000 pounds the hubs had 6 lugs which to me means around a 5200 pound axle. The trailers with two axles had 5 lug hubs which means a 3500 pound axle.

It never crossed my mind about how a single axle would pull vs a double axle. Thanks. All I thought about was the safety factor. I have had blow outs on my double axle equipment trailer and I can see how that could be a disaster on a single. You can at least limp on a double axle.

/ Single axle vs double axle on 20 foot campers... #10  
Had a single axle utility trailer I used to haul a couple four wheelers around. You could feel the load and it would develop a little sway over 55 mph. Upgraded that trailer to a 16ft dove tail tandom axle. You can't feel it with a couple 4 wheelers or my tractor and implements on it.

The 29 ft feather lite (6800lbs) isn't bad to pull with the right weight distribution hitch. We updated the WDH to a trunion style hitch instead of the one with the break over chain. The right WDH makes a huge difference. Cut the pucker factor down tremendously. The hitch with the break over chains was miserable with a tractor trailer passing or in a stiff wind. With the trunion style hitch, you barely feel a tractor trailer going by and I wasn't having to fight the truck and camper in wind gust of 40 mph.

6 more months and the 1500 Sierra is paid off. Then I'm looking for a used diesel for some really long hauls with the camper and grand kids :D