CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I purchased a very solid 2 box steel CornPro horse trailer (older) at auction last summer and I need to add a ramp. The trailer is not designed for a ramp that folds up, but I think I can modify the door handles, etc to work.

I am not worried about jumping a horse into it, but my wife is so concerned, that I recognize I shouldn't have bid on the trailer. I grew up with horses, and nothing went into the horse trailer without a little 12" jump. Never had a problem. Well, now, we have a little higher dollar horses, and my wife is so concerned that we can't use the trailer. So, I either need to add a ramp (preferred) or sell the trailer and look for another.

The trailer is steel, so welding shouldn't be an issue, but I haven't found much (if anything) as far as a ramp addition is concerned. I'm thinking about just taking it to the local trailer company and having them do it, but its likely to double the cost of the trailer. I'm fairly confident I can build one, but I have never done so. I am also fairly confident that if I DO build one, it will be too heavy for my wife to lift without some help.

Has anyone added a trailer ramp in such a fashion? I have seen some parts (springs) to help lift it, but those are typically for aluminum ramps/trailers.

I'm recognizing that my 'great deal' might not be OUR great deal. I'm thinking this might turn out to be more than I want to address.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #2  
Perhaps a picture of trailer would help. I suspect you can build it fine.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #3  
....my wife is so concerned that we can't use the trailer. So, I either need to add a ramp (preferred) or sell the trailer and look for another.
Good god man! -You've overlooked the 3rd option! :eek: :D
The trailer will work fine as is.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #4  
If your wife can't trust a horse to step into and out of a trailer without a ramp will she trust the ramp you built???

pics would help a lot.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #5  
I thought the same thing but didn't want to sound rude, although I am sure a new trailer is cheaper than the third option.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #6  
If your wife can't trust a horse to step into and out of a trailer without a ramp will she trust the ramp you built???

pics would help a lot.

You mean pictures of the trailer right? .....though we could give OP advice on what his best option is if you meant ....(never mind I'd better stop!) :laughing:

Many tailgates use a torsion spring to lessen the force required to lift them.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #7  
I always hated to have to load a horse with a ramp . The trailer is useless for anything else. a Normal horse will just step in and out. Man up .

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp
Good god man! -You've overlooked the 3rd option! :eek: :D
The trailer will work fine as is.

You overlooked the MAJOR issue... concerned wife.

And I can't find a pic on my phone, and won't be around until tomorrow.

I'll post it then.

I called CornPro, and they don't make them with ramps. They don't have anything with ramps, although they do have only open wedge ramps for utility and landscape trailers. It is almost like they are being asked to bake a cake for a wedding with which they do not agree...

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp
Many tailgates use a torsion spring to lessen the force required to lift them.

The issue I am running into is that they are built for aluminum ramps and I have a steel trailer. I'm not a bad welder, but I wouldn't trust myself with structural/weight bearing aluminum at this point.

/ CornPro horse trailer... I need to add a ramp #10  
don't take this the wrong way but unless your wife has experience and skills set to understand everything about this tell her build it herself or it will be fine , move on to other things . Most likely she has had some other woman say that ramps are the best and that is why she wants it. Horses do not need a ramp to load .