in operable Vehicles in West Memphis

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Yet another town is enforcing a dumb rule banning people from having inoperable automobiles on their property because some people find those cars “unsightly.” This time, the town that could make life tough for low-income households and car enthusiasts is West Memphis, Arkansas.

As if this weren’t intrusive enough, the city passed ordinance 2457 on 15. March of this year—an ordinance that apparently severely limits how people wrench on their own cars. It reads, in part:
Work on vehicles shall be limited to the minor repair and maintenance of vehicles...currently registered to the occupant or a member of the occupant’s family. This limitation precludes auto repair on residential premises by any person or commercial entity.
It goes on to say residents can only work on a single inoperable vehicle at any one time, and that such work must be done in an “enclosed structure” or in area out of public view unless it’s just “minor servicing,” in which case it can be done in a driveway or parking service, as long as the job doesn’t take more than 48 hours, which is further limited by the 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. restriction on wrenching hours.
Oh, and if you don’t abide by this rule, you can see fines of up to $2,500.

posted in jalopnik.com

I tried 4 times to post a link and it hosed every time.

Last edited:
   / in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #2  
Looks like it didn't just copy the address bar link to the website but something else....

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis
Looks like it didn't just copy the address bar link to the website but something else....

Yeah, I spent 15 minutes trying to clean up the darn mess. Must have been some interaction with TBN's "smart url" post software.

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #5  
Aren't such laws quite common? I thought something similar, if not the same, existed in most towns or cities.

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #6  
It is very much that way here... including the ban of parking unlicensed vehicles anywhere in the public view which includes rear and side yards... only way to store a car is inside a permitted garage structure...

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #7  
Wow - here in WV that is not the case. I go to homes everyday that have several unlicensed cars sitting around and can't say I ever thought much of it... Once in a while I see an old Jeep I would like to buy!

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #8  
It is very much that way here... including the ban of parking unlicensed vehicles anywhere in the public view which includes rear and side yards... only way to store a car is inside a permitted garage structure...
Way back in nineteen seventy something my father was told to get rid of the junk vehicles which were way down beyond the treeline on our 30 acres... one of them was probably junk but the other two were old panel trucks which had been used for floral and plant deliveries in the past and that he had planned of restoring.

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #9  
I'm on the fence with these types of rules. I hate government overreach and commie HOA's, but at the same time I often marvel at the ability of some people to pile old engine blocks, forgotten dreams of automotive restorations, and cars perpetually up on jack stands in their front yards.

/ in operable Vehicles in West Memphis #10  
25+ years ago..I had to sell several old collectable 4x4 trucks (Willys and Power Wagons) because the city passed law requiring all vehicles kept outside must have lic. and insurance...!
one was a '53' Power Wagon that had actually been in Korea and brought back to the states...
it was what was know as part of the "ford corp"...it was a radio truck that was set up for submarine crossings etc...it was deuce that had aircraft type shielded and encapsulated ignition and electrical system...The intake and all the case vents had snorkels...it was an awesome truck...
Most of the "ford corp" P.W.'s that made it back got chopped up and were converted to "swamp buggies"...this truck was 95% mechanically restored...
...Also had to sell a Willys '55' Pickup...75% (complete) restore...this one had the L head 6 cyl. ("Continental Red Seal" block) with the Willys 'Super Hurricane' head...!
Having to part with some of those truck still pains me...!