Paint trailer deck

/ Paint trailer deck #1  

dwalk19

Gold Member
Tractor
2018 LS XG3140H TLB
Has anyone had any luck painting their trailer deck (equipment trailer) not really necessary but thought it would look nice and help to protect longer, thought about using a deck paint something with a little bit of texture, not sure how well it would hold up, although I really don't haul my tractor or implements to much with it, but figured why not, and I'm also thinking about raptor/rhino lining the whole thing, it's a brand new trailer but had to bring it home in a bad snow storm and the sand/salt already chiped the paint and caused a bunch of surface rust

/ Paint trailer deck #2  
dwalk19:
If it were my trailer i would not paint it can get slick when wet and will rot quicker the frame yes boards no but its your trailer.

/ Paint trailer deck #3  
HI , Is it wood I just use Thompson's water every other year just quick spray , I don't think paint would hold up

/ Paint trailer deck
Yes pressure treated wood deck, yeah I though it may get slippery but the deck paint can be applied with a good amount of texture with nappy roller or could add sand to it also

/ Paint trailer deck #5  
It won’t hold paint if it’s new. I would use something that’s a penetrant and not a surface film protectant. Thompson’s is what everyone thinks of but is not the best product. It consists mostly of silicone and very low volume solids (wears off quickly). Lots of good wood preservative type products that will work, talk to someone at a paint store. Don’t go to a big box, go to your local paint specialty store and talk to the manager or asst, they will know the right product. If you paint it and it fails it will be miserable trying to fix it, the preservatives wear off over time and are easy to re-do

(Been in the paint business for a long long time)

/ Paint trailer deck
The deck is not "wet wood" so it should take stain or paint, but yeah I've been down that road I bought a $50 per gallon deck/dock paint and it mostly wore of in 2 years (the deck seasoned for a year and was cleaned) and now I've got to pressure wash it and scrape off and stain I guess, I was kind of interested Thompson's water seal solid gray, mainly because it's gray and would match the trailer wheels

/ Paint trailer deck #7  
It won稚 hold paint if it痴 new. I would use something that痴 a penetrant and not a surface film protectant. Thompson痴 is what everyone thinks of but is not the best product. It consists mostly of silicone and very low volume solids (wears off quickly). Lots of good wood preservative type products that will work, talk to someone at a paint store. Don稚 go to a big box, go to your local paint specialty store and talk to the manager or asst, they will know the right product. If you paint it and it fails it will be miserable trying to fix it, the preservatives wear off over time and are easy to re-do

(Been in the paint business for a long long time)

AGREED !!
The OP should NOT use any sort of PAINT!
Over time, paint will become a peeled looking mess.
As you recommend, he should use a good quality clear wood preservative.
I do not use anything, as I store my 20' wood deck equipment trailer inside, 90% of the time.

/ Paint trailer deck #8  
I tried those special deck paints - the one's with texture in them that are supposed to be tough and long lasting. The stuff is pretty well pealing off my trailer after about a year and a half and I won't be doing it again. This is a well weathered 15 year old deck so there is no issues with "wet wood". The stuff just does not seem to hold up. Quite expansive too.

/ Paint trailer deck #9  
Has anyone had any luck painting their trailer deck (equipment trailer) not really necessary but thought it would look nice and help to protect longer, thought about using a deck paint something with a little bit of texture, not sure how well it would hold up, although I really don't haul my tractor or implements to much with it, but figured why not, and I'm also thinking about raptor/rhino lining the whole thing, it's a brand new trailer but had to bring it home in a bad snow storm and the sand/salt already chiped the paint and caused a bunch of surface rust

I used an Olympic black deck stain on mine 3 years ago. Still looks good. It gets some scratches from sliding stuff but easy to recoat after the first application. Thick nap roller every other year. No slip either.

/ Paint trailer deck #10