Chains & binders

/ Chains & binders #12  
I went to a local shop, payed cash and got 5 binders, 4 10’ 3/8” chains for right at $200..... paying cash helps!

/ Chains & binders #13  
Personally I think with the invention of screw and ratcheting binders, lever-binders should go the way of the doo-doo bird. They are just too dangerous. It takes a piece of pipe to lever them down, then when you take them off you get a face-full of lever under amazing tension. Many a teeth and facial surgery have resulted from them.

Best to stay away in my opinion...

/ Chains & binders
Personally I think with the invention of screw and ratcheting binders, lever-binders should go the way of the doo-doo bird. They are just too dangerous. It takes a piece of pipe to lever them down, then when you take them off you get a face-full of lever under amazing tension. Many a teeth and facial surgery have resulted from them.

Best to stay away in my opinion...

Thanks, ratcheting it is!

/ Chains & binders #15  
I have both cheap HF class ratcheting & lever, types. I also picked up a pair of good American made ratcheting ones with folding handles. I rarely use the lever ones for the tractor. I'll use them for quick stuff without a lot of force, like holding on my bucket spade, or an extra chain over an impliment that is mounted to the tractor already. I dont feel to bad about not putting max force on the lever binders that way.

My standard tractor chaining procedures are as follows:
Drive tractor with impliments onto trailer & go to far forward.
Attach my 2 short chains to bumper mounted clevises.
Put tractor in 4wd & low range.
Back up until tires start spinning & the front end squats an inch or 2 then power the 3pt
Apply parking brake.
2 rear chains to the rear corners of the machine (over the top of any impliment if they will stay put & not drastically change the angle on the chain) & tighten them with my good American ratchet binders.
Lower the loader in front
If I'm going far I toss a chain over the loader & either use a lever binder or cheap ratchet binder, but dont worry about going as tight as the tractor chains.
Depending on the impliment on the back & how far I'm going I may toss another chain & random binder on like with the loader.

I only use the gold grade 70 (transport or trucker) chain. It doesn't rust as easily & is the appropriate grade for chaining stuff to a trailer. Not to mention it's a bit stronger than the lower grades.

The total of all your chain ratings should be equal or greater than your load.

/ Chains & binders #16  
Always liked the 'back up and squat' trick!
Also when tying back the rear you can actually get by with only one binder.

With lever binders It is always good insurance to tie back the lever with a bungee or some wire because if they loosen a bit the lever can pop open and then your tractor is really free.

Always recheck after driving a few miles or a short period as often what you thought was tight often is not really so.

/ Chains & binders #17  
5/16 is plenty. With four 5/16 grade 70 chains you can legally secure something weighing up to 18,800 lbs. nothing wrong with 3/8 but it is noticeably heavier to handle. I have chains of both sizes and use both depending on the task at hand.

If the only thing you will haul is your tractor I would suggest cutting the chains to the proper length. Makes things a lot simpler than using a 20’ chain when one 5’ would suffice.

/ Chains & binders #18  
If you cut your chains to 5 footers, how close will you have to be to use the tractor to pull out your truck next time you get it stuck? I prefer a little longer chain for most of my efforts, other than tying the tractor down.
David from jax

/ Chains & binders
Thanks again everyone. I've got 2 extra 20' 5/16" grade 70 chains from Home Depot so I'll cut them in half which will give me 4 10'ers which should do the trick. Maybe buy 2 more, 1 for the FEL & 1 for the cutter unless you think I can safely & legally get away w/ HD ratchet straps for those? Need to buy the ratcheting binders this week. Picking up my MX5800 later in the week & I'm stoked!

/ Chains & binders #20  
If you cut your chains to 5 footers, how close will you have to be to use the tractor to pull out your truck next time you get it stuck? I prefer a little longer chain for most of my efforts, other than tying the tractor down.
David from jax

Yes if they will be the only chains you own don’t cut them. I have different chains for different purposes. No joke I bet I have at least fifty if not more. I have four machines I haul regularly and each has its own appropriately sized chains cut to length.