Derating a trailer

/ Derating a trailer #11  
Can they actually fine you for having an expired or non existent sticker when out of state?

/ Derating a trailer #12  
There is some confusion or misinformation here.

There are two weights.

The GVWR which is issued by the manufacturer, usually stamped on the trailer, and you can not change this after it is built and issued.

The registered weight at least in Texas is what you tell the people at the tax office. Within reason you can tell them whatever you want. Your registration fees are calculated based on weight. The heavier it is registered for the more you pay. If you get caught weighing over what you registered for I think the fine is now $1 a pound but I am not positive on that fee. I know it can get expensive quick though if you are overweight.

Your GVWR is what is what is used to determine what class of license you need. In most states if your pickup and trailer GVWRs added together are less than 26k a regular drivers license is fine. Some states make you get a special class of license or CDL if your trailer is over 10k, 12k or whatever that state chooses even if your combined is less than 26k. This is why you will find many places derate their trailers under these thresholds to keep people from needing a special license. In most and I would say off the top of my head over 40 of the states you are fine with any trailer GVWR as long as the trailer and truck are less than 26k combined.

Why do people derate and not just buy a smaller trailer? For one once you step up to 7k axles the bearings, brakes, and even tires are much more robust and last long than on lighter duty trailers. Loading a trailer to its max capacity is hard on it. Buying a 14k trailer even if you never plan to haul over 10k you gives you a lot of margin.

Then there are other people who actually need the extra weight capacity on a very limited basis and derate to skirt the law. Say 95% of the time their trailer will weigh less than 10k but once a year they haul a heavy load on the backroads to the farm or something. They choose the 14k trailer and derate to 10k to avoid all the extra license hassle and take their chances on the once a year heavy load.

/ Derating a trailer #13  
I example of manufacturer derating is having a trailer with 5,200 axles or what would be a 10,400 trailer has a GVWR of 9,999

/ Derating a trailer #14  
We have a PJ Gooseneck Deckover which would normally have a 15,200 lbs GVWR. We had PJ label it 14,690 lb, and then Colorado DMV issued a title with that same GVWR. With our F-350's GVWR of 11,300 lb we come in at 25,990. The F-350 (SRW) GCWR is around 23,500 lb IIRC.

/ Derating a trailer #15  
There is some confusion or misinformation here.

No confusion here at all until now.

I cant speak for other states but here in PA the manufacturer has to issue the proper paperwork and a new weight sticker for the trailer. Just telling the DMV its only going to haul 12K will not be sufficient if you get stopped.

/ Derating a trailer #16  
So how much money do you actually save by registering a 14K# trailer down to, say, 12K# ?

/ Derating a trailer #17  
Texas does it by brackets not X amount per pound.
0-6000 $45
6001-10000 $54
10001-18000 $110
18001-25999 $205
26000-4000 $340

So in Texas 12k vs 14k is same cost but 10,000 is $54 or less than half of being 10,001 or 14k which costs $110.

/ Derating a trailer #18  
No confusion here at all until now.

This below leads to confusion. It may be accurate in his state but is not the case in most states.

Some manufacturers will de-rate ones close to the 12,000# CDL requirement so owner operators can have a heavier trailer frame w/o getting into requirements for CDL license. I have heard a 1 ton truck pulling a 12,000# trailer is the line of demarcation for a CDL regardless of whether it is commercial or not.

/ Derating a trailer #19  
This below leads to confusion. It may be accurate in his state but is not the case in most states.

Yup...... there are widely different state regulations.
No "one size fits all".
I think the most accurate statement is: If you are towing for personal use, are under 26,001 lbs. total, have a trailer that is in respectable appearance condition, use two chains (or HD straps) on the bucket, plus 4 chains (or HD straps) on the tractor, have proper tongue weight, and have all lights operating, don't sweat it.
Completely different story in Canada though.

Last edited:
   / Derating a trailer #20  
I example of manufacturer derating is having a trailer with 5,200 axles or what would be a 10,400 trailer has a GVWR of 9,999
I've been looking at trailers for years, mainly in Virginia and Mississippi.
In Virginia
Trailer Registration ***
0 - 1,500 lbs (per year) $18.00
1,501 - 4,000 lbs (per year) $28.50
4,001 or more lbs (per year) $40.00
or permanent for $100.