Derating a trailer

/ Derating a trailer #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
Been looking at a 20-22' 14k equipment hauler trailer & a couple dealers have mentioned derating the trailer. What exactly is this & what are the pros/cons to doing so?

/ Derating a trailer #2  
Last trailer I registered the DMV asked how much I wanted the trailer rated for. They said I could rate it for less than max rating, but not more. Less weight on tag= less money paid to DMV. If you will never tow more than what you choose you will come out ahead. In my case the boat trailer was rated for 3k, but my boat weighs 1200 with motor and basic equipment. I rated for 1500. Saved some cash and have no concerns. Just don't get caught hauling more than what you register. That is my guess

/ Derating a trailer #3  
It won’t matter when the dot cops pull you over. If you’re heavier than the tires and axles they’ll ding you. If you’re heavier than your registered max GVWR they’ll ding you. If your both, they’ll really ding you.

/ Derating a trailer #4  
Some manufacturers will de-rate ones close to the 12,000# CDL requirement so owner operators can have a heavier trailer frame w/o getting into requirements for CDL license. Whole new world when hauling commercial. Around here it seems they leave the obvious hobby haulers alone unless they have visible problems with their driving, load, or trailer condition. I have heard a 1 ton truck pulling a 12,000# trailer is the line of demarcation for a CDL regardless of whether it is commercial or not.

Used to know a retired state patrolman who worked truck enforcement his last 10 years. He used to say driver attitude was always a big factor in how they wrote citations. He stated it was rare they could not find mechanical violations to either cite or warn, especially on contractor and logger trucks. He said long-haulers were the worst o moving violations; always in a hurry. A farm license usually got you a pass and they were usually well maintained and cautious drivers.

Ron

/ Derating a trailer #5  
Been looking at a 20-22' 14k equipment hauler trailer & a couple dealers have mentioned derating the trailer. What exactly is this & what are the pros/cons to doing so?

Advantages

A much better/stronger built trailer with heavy axels will last longer when not hauling the actual full weight it was built for.
You will pay less for Tags
You may or may not have to register your truck as a combination meaning less for tags for it also. This will depend on your states law and how far down you de-rate the trailer.

Disadvantage's

The trailer will probably weigh more than a trailer built for the specific weight your de-rating it to and could lead to a lesser payload than just buying a trailer rated for the correct load from the start. (this will be dependent on the manufactures design and sometimes its actually so minor it doesn't matter but needs to be paid attention to because sometimes its a big difference )
Most likely the cost will be more than a trailer built for the lesser weight from the start.
You end up towing more overall weight then actually needed if using a trailer built for the lesser weight This means due to extra trailer weight that isn't really needed it is costing you more in fuel.
Always being tempted to load over the new rating because you know it will take that 14K and having to pay fines when you get caught.

/ Derating a trailer #6  
Usually people derate to stay under the 26k threshold aka class A territory (whether CDL or not is up for debate as usual). Some states have 17k combination limits before a medical card is needed and others have stipulations on over 10k rated trailers. The most obvious is dodging the yearly registration fees for the weights. Make sure you know what you are signing up for is the main thing.

/ Derating a trailer #7  

Register your trailer in Maine!
You do not need to live in Maine, or have a Maine mailing address.
License plate/registration fee is $20 per year, weight does not matter, and you can register for up to 12 years at one time.
There are currently well over 850,000 trailers registered in Maine (the population is only 1.5 M).
Call... Country Wide Trailer Registrations (Jen? I think)
Their phone number is: 207-922-2650
As you drive around, check out over the road trailers, you will see LOTS of Maine trailer plates.

/ Derating a trailer #8  
Bought a Corn Pro trailer in the 90's. Still own it. 14K rating, deck over goose neck. Derated to 12,000 because tires are bias ply, max tire rating 3,000 lbs each. Deck is
20 ft, 5 ft adjustable dove tail. Today radial tires have higher capacity. Trailer is duel axle, elec brakes. Spring assist ramps.

EDIT: newbury, silly question, does the inspection need to be performed by a Maine licensed inspector?

Last edited:
   / Derating a trailer #9  
Register your trailer in Maine!
You do not need to live in Maine, or have a Maine mailing address.
License plate/registration fee is $20 per year, weight does not matter, and you can register for up to 12 years at one time.
There are currently well over 850,000 trailers registered in Maine (the population is only 1.5 M).
Call... Country Wide Trailer Registrations (Jen? I think)
Their phone number is: 207-922-2650
As you drive around, check out over the road trailers, you will see LOTS of Maine trailer plates.

But per Maine law all trailers over 7,000 GVWR require an annual inspection except for camp trailers which are exempt from inspection in Maine.

/ Derating a trailer #10  
But per Maine law all trailers over 7,000 GVWR require an annual inspection except for camp trailers which are exempt from inspection in Maine.

But "johnny law" does not know that out of state. I've been through the scale house many times (on I70 in MD) with Maine plates on a 20 ton tag along behind a tri axle dump, no inspection sticker & never an issue.