Insuring F450

/ Insuring F450 #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
I pulled the trigger on a new F450 Super Duty over the weekend and traded on the SRW 1 ton Dmax. As the dealer was out of state and the Ct dmv closed they weren't able to register it and couldn't do temp plates. So it's to be registered tomorrow, so I contacted my insurer (Travelers) to inform them of the change. To my surprise they told me they won't cover it as its a commercial truck.
I explained to them that this was a pick up not a incomplete vehicle but that didn't help. So I contacted a local insure agency and it seems very few insurers offer this type of coverage to private citizens not operating a biz.

Now I own and camper and will be using the 450 to tow that and my other trailers(dump & flatbed) but both of those are able to be registered as camp trailers in CT as I'm not a biz.
What I'm wondering is how do all the RV folks insure there day cabs and the like if I'm having this much issue with a 450? It looks as though Progressive will offer me a custom policy at a hefty premium but there has to be a better option. I'd welcome any info that anyone may have.

Thanks
Matt

/ Insuring F450 #2  
I have commercial plates on my srw f350 in Ma. Registered at 12k. Policy isn’t too bad. It’s through Norfolk and Dedham.

/ Insuring F450 #3  
Might want to ask the question here rv.net

/ Insuring F450
The irony to the weight limits is that my current 3500 is 11500 gvw which I mentioned to my agent. It seems from my internet search's that it's totally hit or miss and debating the issue with the insurer maybe worth while. It looks like progressive is willing to write me a policy for about $175 per month. Which is about $60 more per month. I think at this point I'll just get the progressive policy and then shop around starting with Good Sam.

Matt

/ Insuring F450 #5  
No idea what things are like down your way, but talking with contractors I know around here, it turns out that their Commercial insurance ended up being quite a bit cheaper than what they had privately. Not what I expected to hear....

Might not be the case in your neck'o woods, but maybe setting up GWH Transport might be worth considering :cool:

Rgds, D.

/ Insuring F450 #6  
Do you qualify for farm tag for this pickup? Might make a difference. But it probably is larger than a "personal" policy will cover. Commercial plans can vary widely so shop it.

/ Insuring F450 #7  
I insured mine thru allstate. No issues at all. Their gross weight rating is the same as an f350 at 14k. Maybe let them know that. It was a non issue when I bought mine. I had issues in the past trying to ensure a hummer h1 but when you explain in plain English what it weights they always take it for me

Brett

/ Insuring F450 #8  
(Don't take this question the wrong way, I am trying to help) Being that you are on this site, do you actually do any farming or other ag related operating. I used to use Farm Family out of Albany, NY for a horse boarding operation. I was able to insure my Dodge dually through them even though it was a daily driver and used for everything at a very low price. They would not insure my wife's Explorer though. It's been awhile so my memory may not be perfect but I think that they covered my IH dump as well. Their policy was that if it was on the farm that it needed to be insured even though as it turned out, I never took that truck out on the road.

/ Insuring F450 #9  
I switched to Progressive when we moved to NH. I'm paying the same for three vehicles as I did for just the Silverado. My F450 dump had be on a commercial policy, but according to them, it didn't need to be a commercial vehicle. I told them exactly what I use the truck for and they had no problems. The commercial policy is pretty reasonable and best part is its annual vs their 6 month term on personal policies.

Definitely research this option. If you haul your camper all over the country, maybe there is a downside (ie -interstate commerce issues?), but if you're up front with them, I think they should be able to set up up with a good policy.

/ Insuring F450 #10  
You're most likely going to need a commercial insurance policy on it since the CT combo plate is only valid up to 12,500 GVWR, which means you are going to end up with a Commercial Vehicle plate (which means you can't drive the parkways). The registration fee on a 14k GVWR is $172.40 per year (no multi year reg). I haven't lived in CT in 14 years and their rules/regs and website are so convoluted, I could not put my finger on the most accurate information. Best thing I can recommend, although I hate to do so is to hit up the local DMV office and ask their info counter how it will be titled/plated.

In VA, at least, you can have a pickup truck up to an F350 with a regular passenger plate (<10,000 GVWR). For the F350, they de-rate the max you can haul in lieu of paying more money for registration. If you exceed that limit, then you can obtain a 'TRUCK' plate which is for any private or commercial vehicle in excess of 12,500. You are charged and plated according to the actual GVWR.

I'm not sure how CT still has those COMBO plates after all this time.