Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback #1  

BrokeFarmerJohn

Veteran Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 5555, John Blue G-1000, Massey Ferguson 98, John Deere GP
Any of you guys use a rollback instead of truck and trailer?

I have a F350 dually and a 20ft deck over trailer, majority of the time I’m using the truck for just hauling stuff around, I have a separate daily driver.

So instead of upgrading and throwing money in the trailer and truck, I was thinking about selling both and just buy a rollback.

What’s pros and cons?

I will be hauling my JD cabbed 4320 (5300lbs) and hay along with diff equipment like baler, sprayers, hay rake etc.

IMG_0486.JPG

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback #2  
Depends on local laws , but in Maryland you would have to register as a tow truck

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback #3  
A roll back would be nice for sure. About 10 years ago I saw one with a 20 foot bed. It was a regular flat bed dump truck or a rollback complete with winch. I am sure tagging and insuring the sucker would be expensive these days.

The down side is the higher center of gravity than a trailer like you now have.

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback #4  
My dad had one for his construction business, and it was handy as heck. We moved small buildings, sheds, forklifts, cars, trucks, tractors, you name it. His was an Isuzu chassis-cab with a Jerr-Dan aluminum bed with red oak decking. Very nice rig. I'd love to have one nowadays.

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback #5  
I’ve got a F-450 rollback. Pros are it’s faster than and more convenient than a trailer. Running or even wheels for that matter are optional. And as mentioned a super handy vehicle. So is my dump truck. A forklift, rollback, dump truck, and a tractor are pretty much life essentials. Cons are it’s a little light duty for what I need. Throwing GVW out the window it’ll handle about 10k. If you’re obeying GVW my lawn mower is maxing it out. Next con is buying a heavier duty roll back that’s not junk isn’t cheap. You’ve seen the F-700 ramp truck I’ve got. That’s a more promising candidate at the price point you’re probably looking at. That truck needs tie downs added on the bed, the parking brake fixed, and licensed and insurance. I’ve not had time to do any of the above so it’s been parked since I bought it.

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback #6  
The one vehicle I wish I still had is my rollback, used it to haul everything that would fit on it. It was an 05 F650 with a Cummins and 21ft jerr dan steel bed.

Sold it when I shut down my transport company.

They can be a bit tall and even my 650 had a max bed weight of 10k although I hauled heavier then that sometimes.

Luckily I still have a friend with one almost identical that I can borrow.
If you are a farm then insurance and registering shouldn't be an issue, every farm around me has a rollback of some type.

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback
Get an insurance quote before you buy.

Deff not going rollback lol. Insurance is way too high. Never called, my insurance won’t even cover a F350 cab and chassis so I know it won’t cover a rollback

/ Considering selling truck and trailer for rollback #9  
Deff not going rollback lol. Insurance is way too high. Never called, my insurance won’t even cover a F350 cab and chassis so I know it won’t cover a rollback

I don't understand. Your F 350 is a cab-chassis finished to a flat bed. Most ins. agents are lacking knowledge in truck configuration along with their "forms" they fill out. (no box to check) Tell them the roll back is a flat bed, it is.
We went from pulling trailers to a "hook lift" F750, yes that threw us into CDL's and prolly not worth it for personal use.
A roll back is one of those tools that once you have & use it, you'll wonder how you ever got by without one.