Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Default Electric Jeep

Jeep is going electric and autonomous as it adds new models | Fox News

Jeep is also going all-in on electrification. It's eliminating diesels, and said that by 2022 it will have 10 plug-in hybrid and four fully-electric models across its global lineup, and is adding a few all-new model to it

They include a subcompact SUV that's smaller than the Renegade, a three-row SUV in the Grand Cherokee's segment, and a car-like "urban" utility vehicle that trades Jeep's traditional off-road capability for a better on-road ride. These are in addition to the previously-announced midsize pickup and full-size Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1500

Default Re: Electric Jeep

I'll believe it when I see it, FCA has been "all in" on electrification but it's always 5+ years out and somehow never seems to materialize.

We own a 250mi+ EV so totally for it if they do it but i think this is all just for PR.

Also killing diesels in the Ram brand isn't the smartest move. With proper emissions management they can be made clean and I don't see diesel going away in the short term. Last I looked the new diesels were better on the co2/mi than the equivalent gas models. I could be wrong here as the reports I've seen mention passenger vehicles but not clear if that includes trucks. Would hate to see the EcoDiesel disappear.

I also give this thread about 4 posts before the usual suspects show up and send it down the drain.

[Edit]
    Looks like it's just European diesels that they are phasing out, whew.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3301

I've always believed that the best "Hybrid" would be powered by a diesel. The technology is proven, they've been doing it in locomotives for decades. The only problem would be the weight.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1500

I'd be surprised if the weight is that large. Tesla uses 3-phase induction motors which are pretty small. On the dual-motor cars the one in back is about the size of a small watermelon and the on up front is even smaller. I'd be surprised if they weighed more than 500lbs together.

They're *awesome* for low traction situations too. They don't run away when traction becomes scarce since they're tied to the VFD speed instead of just raw torque. Case in point I can drop the pedal in 1/4" of rain and I get no funny business even with ~450hp in a 4.5klb car. Driven through a couple muddy fields with it as well and where I saw a lot of large SUVs get stuck it's surprisingly composed and doesn't slip. If I recall correctly they use an open diff and electric braking to limit slip.

You also would get a nice logarithmic pedal response. You can go from 0.5% -> 1% -> 5% -> 50% -> 100% without any lag or overshoot. That would be awesome for rock crawling.

Tractor
    Kubota bx1860

When I worked there a while back they showed us a Durango hybrid and said it was coming out in couple months. Then it went away.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3301

I saw a show on one of the cable channels years ago about military Hummers that were running on lithium batteries with a motor running each wheel independently. They could take it and literally spin it in circles.
    No mention of how long they could run it though.