Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota RTV 900, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .

Default Re: Another vote to replace trailer tires every 6 years. And get TPMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    I air my trailer tires to the max pressure. That way, the tire does not flex as much and stays cooler. My trailers that are parked for any length of time are placed on jack stands so the tires don't sit in the same position with weight on them. Tires need to be used to last longer.
    I use these also Flatstoppers.com, Vehicle Storage Car Ramps
    Kioti DK40se hst cab with KL401 loader,Kubota RTV 900,John deere X740,Kioti 73 inch tiller.Ingersoll 4020 3pt,troy bilt tiller,Billy goat brush cutter.

Tractor
    JD 6400

I use 235/85r16 LT tires on my trailers. I had a six year old tire split open, it was a spare and had never even touched the ground. Several years ago had one tire throw the tread and one to blow out while hauling hay. They were only five years old and looked brand-new. None of these tires were Chinese, all made in the USA.
    6400 John Deere w/ cab, JD 535 Baler, 997 ZTR Diesel, 72" 7 Iron deck, Kubota RTV-X1100C

Tractor
    Kubota, Case, Deere

I have one trailer that rarely gets use. I keep the tires inside the garage out of the sunlight up on a wall mounted rack. By doing that when I need the trailer and have to go through the work of putting them on I'm much more likely to check the pressure first. I also put a spray on protection against UV and ozone that helps keep the tires from drying out.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer, Deere X500

Tractor
    Yanmar3110D, Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    I bought 4 Greenballs for my 12K Hudson back in spring of 2013. I've made maybe 6 to 8 round trips from Alexandria, Va to Fulton, MS. Round trip distance is about 1620 miles. So total distance travelled was those trips plus annual trips to the inspection station in Virginia, about 5 miles.

Three of the tires still have "whiskers". The fourth blew out on the interstate at speed (about 65) last Thursday. About 1/3 the way to Mississippi. Thankfully a fellow motorist waved me down. About half the tire was gone and I didn't take pictures .

An hour wait for AAA, a tip to the guy, roll into town and buy 2 low end tires. My spare (that AAA put on) was even older so that got tossed.

Now I'm a paranoid type guy when it comes to trailering - I've had my "mishaps".
    I was driving down to Kings Dominion on I81 in my Dodge B100 van with two of my sons and one of their friends - all 3 between 9 and 12. At speed and in thick traffic a boat trailer in front of me lost a tire and it went airborne, right for my windshield. Traffic to the right of me, traffic to the left, I was stuck in the middle. I floored it and was able to catch the tire above the mirror, it dented the support but nothing broken and I only had to change underwear.

While moving down in 2012

So my routine is every stop I go around and FEEL the tires and axles for heat.

This trip it had been maybe 2 hours since I had checked ALL exterior tires (didn't fell the insiders on my dually) all had been well.

Now maybe the tire picked up a nail or something.

Moral - replace tires every 5 years maybe and now I'm looking for a TPMS system and a new enclosed trailer.

Any recommendations for a TPMS that is good for a trailer?
    Funny you mention Fulton Mississippi. I was moving my son to Arkansas the first of the month.
    I was delivering his boat to his new home when a tire went on the boat trailer. I pulled off I22 and put the spare on. Got off in Fulton exit ?

At the end of the ramp to the left, there was a walmart. Great I can get two new tires.
    Not so great. This walmart has no tire center.
    I go back across the interstate to the other side and see a tire store down a side road.
    I pull in and had the guy look at the trailer tires. Guy says I don't have 215x ? size tires. I have 205x?. I tell him to put them on.

Real nice people at this place. Jumped right on my boat trailer. I was back on I22 headed to Arkansas within about 30 min
    A Fredricks Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak
    16' Tow Master Dump Trailer ,20' Yanmar Hauler

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
    <snip>
    I go back across the interstate to the other side and see a tire store down a side road.
    I pull in and had the guy look at the trailer tires. Guy says I don't have 215x ? size tires. I have 205x?. I tell him to put them on.

Real nice people at this place. Jumped right on my boat trailer. I was back on I22 headed to Arkansas within about 30 min
    Did you mean Nichols Tire Store?

Those guys are great. I had an almost flat inner rear tire on my dually. I took it there and he found that somehow when someone last inflated the tire a tiny pebble had gotten in the valve stem, causing it to S L O W L Y leak. After doing a full water bath leak test of the tire and remounting it (took about a good 20 minutes) he tried to charge me such a miniscule amount I was embarrassed and had to tip heavily.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all
    My saws - 12" B&D 40 volt,JD CS 62, efco 3500, Stihls - 021, 660 w/woods mod, 660 w/ DP muffler, 088, Woodmizer LT10

Tractor
    Yanmar3110D, Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by newbury View Post
    Did you mean Nichols Tire Store?

Those guys are great.
    That's it ! And yes they are Great ! I was traveling from Al. to Arkansas and had this tire issue. They had me (so to speak) and could have charged me big $$$ as I was in need of two tires badly.

I don't carry a lot of cash traveling. They said they didn't take CC or debit. All I had on me was a small amount of cash ,CC and debit card.
    I asked if they would take an out of state check. I really didn't think he would, but he said sure... $158.00 and about 30 min. and I was back on the road to Arkansas.

I left them a very good Google review, as they are really great people !
    A Fredricks Yanmar 3110D
    07 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins
    Husky 372xp
    Husky 55 Rancher
    Maruyama trimmer
    Husky trimmer
    Redmax BP blower
    Toro zero turn
    North Star 4 K PSI pressure washer
    Honda 300 4 trax
    Yamaha Timberwolf
    liquid logic coupe kayak