Mack cab & chassis

/ Mack cab & chassis #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
Seriously considering making a play for this truck to turn into a water delivery truck. I chased down the local government that owned truck previous to the current seller and got a nice report on it.
I've had a CDL for over 30 years and have driven a lot of trucks but never been a buyer. Obviously I'm not looking to walk up and pay the asking price, but I'm trying to get an idea of the truck's value. There really isn't a good online resource like NADA, KBB, etc. for these trucks unless you subscribe, which I really don't want to do for a one time use.
The mileage is great for the year and I'm pretty sure it's accurate. I know nothing about the Renault diesels in these. I have a friend recently retired from a Mack garage but haven't seen him yet to ask about them.
The truck would be driven locally, probably 3k miles or so per year. The pics show the rear recaps aren't all in great condition. There are no tail lights currently but seller says he'll give me a set of lights with the truck.
Anyone in a trucking business have any ideas on a fair price for this rig? Thanks in advance!
1999 Mack Cab Truck and Chassis MS3P - heavy equipment - by owner - sale

/ Mack cab & chassis
I see there are 100 views, so here's what I have so far. My Mack mechanic friend says good truck, super hard to find parts for the Renault diesel. He asked what their price is. I told him the Craigslist asking price and he flat out said don't pay it.
An inquiry to my current business liability insurance for commercial truck insurance pricing is pointing me in the NO direction currently. I have inquiries out to other agents to test the market. The one quote so far is more than triple what I paid for commercial truck insurance on a 2001 F450 bucket truck.

/ Mack cab & chassis #3  
Try TruckPaper.com for similarly priced trucks. I have driven a fair number of Mack's but I do not know anything about the Renault engine. With that kind of mileage, I think about the only thing it may need mechanically is brake lining, the drums should still be good. From the photo's, the truck appears to be fairly clean. Are you north or south of the border? If you are south of the border, try Farm Family out of Albany for a quote.

I had an IH1800 dump that was municiple owned. Forget the mileage but the paint was faded, the interior needed a good pressure washing but mechanically the only thing I had to do was to rebuild the carb.

/ Mack cab & chassis
Try TruckPaper.com for similarly priced trucks. I have driven a fair number of Mack's but I do not know anything about the Renault engine. With that kind of mileage, I think about the only thing it may need mechanically is brake lining, the drums should still be good. From the photo's, the truck appears to be fairly clean. Are you north or south of the border? If you are south of the border, try Farm Family out of Albany for a quote.

I had an IH1800 dump that was municiple owned. Forget the mileage but the paint was faded, the interior needed a good pressure washing but mechanically the only thing I had to do was to rebuild the carb.

For right now, this project is on indefinite hold. The current quote for truck insurance is nearly $3k. That a lot of water to haul just to pay for insurance and begin the road to profitability for a year. I sent an early morning inquiry to Farm Family. Never hurts to check around while I'm waiting for other insurance agents to reply.
I'm south of the border, in the area where Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence meet.
As far as the truck itself you can faintly see the name of the municipality that previously owned it. I found their website and inquired about the truck. The town supervisor replied within the hour and told me that he'd pass the email on to their mechanic. The mechanic also replied quickly. Stated that it used to be their sweeper truck. Mostly driven at 5 MPH. Serviced every 250 hours and the oil sent out for analysis every time. Always came back great. It had the sweeper on it when they sold it 3 years ago, so someone has since removed it.

Last edited:
   / Mack cab & chassis #5  
One thing you have to be aware of is dust intrusion into the engine, a sweeper chassis has a hard life. Check the gearing also as they're usually geared low so if you plan on any highway driving it might be maxed out all the time...............Mike

/ Mack cab & chassis
Thanks for the posts. My Mack mechanic says do not pay the asking price. Seller is firm on it so I'm passing. Also have received only one reply from alternative insurance agents. Too much profit would be eaten up by insurance alone, say nothing about maintenance or fuel expenses.
This particular truck is off my list.

/ Mack cab & chassis #7  
Since you are talking about limited use have you considered putting a tank on a trailer for your needs?
You might check how insurance on a trailer would be.

/ Mack cab & chassis #8  
Why not an ih platform or a fl? I just saw a freightliner with a flatbed for sale locally for 3k. The insurance companies are way off base. I have a 470p international and only pay around 850 per year.

/ Mack cab & chassis #9  
How about a 2004 International 4300 with a DT466? 24. International 43, - heavy equipment - by owner - sale
00l0l_bMDkDCGnHkl_600x450.jpg

Aaron Z

/ Mack cab & chassis

I drive these Internationals quite often in my part time job for a USPS contractor. The ones that aren't 3/4 used up after age & miles aren't bad. I know the 4300 has some different GVWR configurations. I'm thinking that it would need to handle 12-14k as a water hauler. A Craigslist search shows that the truck in this link has had the price dropped $2k.
But the higher gross weight seems to jack up the insurance to a point where that type of business would have to haul a lot of water just to cover the insurance premium. I've asked a lot of questions of a lot of people, from truck owners, a retired Mack mechanic and several insurance folks. Looks like I've got more research to do. A trucking venture just might not be in the cards for me. I've got a successful seasonal business now. Just maybe looking to do something a little less labor intensive as I get older.

Last edited: