Hauling tractor with a dump trailer.

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer. #1  

DJFoster

Tractor
JD 4500
I am newbie, so please excuse the ignorance.

I am thinking of buying a dump trailer capable of hauling my JD 4500 with 460 FEL. It would be nice to also take my 6 ft rotary cutter along, but that may be a bit too long.

My rig tractor, etc. weight is probably about 7000 lbs and I'm driving a Ford dually deisel with Catagory 4 hitch. (I think) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Is it reasonable to use a dump trailer for transporting the tractor rig on an occasional basis?

If so, what should I look for in the trailer? Low profile?; deck over wheels?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks,

David

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer. #2  
Welcome. I have an Anderson 12K dump trailer. It has loading ramps and a 2 way tailgate. They advertise by hauling a skidsteer to a job site then load the trailer, haul, dump the trailer, load the skidsteer back up and go on to the next site. As long as the trailer is long enough it should work.

See Anderson trailers and look under dump trailers. They are made in south GA.

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer. #3  
Most dump trailers are over axle style so you have about 80" width. Width shouldn't be an issue either way for what you'll be hauling. There are some other things you need to consider.

Are you planning on 'dumping' your equipment out of your trailer (using your hydraulics to tilt your bed to load and offload)? If you are, you're going to need a drop down tailgate that's strong enough to support your equipment when you driver over it. If you aren't, and just want to use it as a flatbed, you're going to need ramps and a way to secure them to the rear of your trailer deck. I'd also suggest you make certain you have a way to secure the doors once they are open so that you can be certain one doesn't swing into your new tractor.

Also, you need to make sure you have tie down attachment points to secure your tractor with chains and binders or rachet straps. This might get a little tougher because you're not going to have much room inside your trailer box to get around to secure these points. You'll have to get between your equipment and your dump trailer side walls. Maybe you can do that. I know I couldn't.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer. #5  
The Anderson Low Profile covers all thise points. There are 4 welded tiedown in the bed, 2 ramps that store under the bed and a tailgate hold open bar on the side. Also check for a hold down to keep the bed from coming up as you load the equipment.

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like our rigs are somewhat similar. What length of Anderson trailer did you get, and are you happy with the performance?

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer. #7  
I got a 6x10 as I already have a trailer for moving my tractor.

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer.
Gary,

All excellent points you make. Thank you. I went to the Anderson site from your post. I think I will give them a call.

David

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer. #9  
The deckover will raise your center of gravity, which can be an issue. Bri-bar is another good dump trailer. I have the 6x10 deck over for dumping, but I don't use it for hauling my tractor. Bri-Mar

/ Hauling tractor with a dump trailer. #10  
Why Buy?
A trailer to hall the tractor
A trailer that dumps
A truck to pulll the trailers with

This is three vehicles you have to buy.

Why not just get a sraight flat bed truck that rolls back and dumps both.

I'm thinking something like the Ford F-350 with a 14 to 16 foot
bed.