How big of a trailer do I need?

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #1  

mdbarb

Gold Member
Tractor
B21
I will be hauling a Kubota B21 tractor a few times a year, just a few miles.
With loader, bachoe and loaded tires it weighs 4,400 pounds.
I have an opportunity to get a slightly used BigTex 60CH car hauler: GVWR=6,000#, two 3500# Dexter axles w/ electric brakes on one axle.
The local dealer says no way can this trailer work. I NEED a 10,000 # gvwr, C channel cross members instead of 2" angles, jackstands at the rear, etc etc at about DOUBLE the price.
I've rented a trailer locally that wasn't even as heavy duty as the big tex and it seemed ok, they use it all the time.
So what is the smallest I can safely use.
Sure, bigger would be better but I have a feeling its not necessary and don't know who to believe.

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #2  
Mr. Barb, I use a 18 foot with two Dexter 3500# axles, single brake. It does great with my L tractor at 5600# loaded out. Your GVWR should normally be 7000#. Most 16 foot dual axle trailers should weigh 900-1200#. This type of trailer is the one you see under most all compact tractors, up to mid-size farm tracrtors... Most anyone who does brush cutting or light loader work uses it.

/ How big of a trailer do I need?
I think the dealer was emphasizing that the trailer was a car hauler some the frame was suitable for a car which spreads 2 or 3 thousand pounds over a large space so the frame is lighter. While a tractor has 4 or 5 thousand pounds more pinpointed over the rear wheels thus the need for stiffer framework. The BigTex 60CH has 3"x5"x1/4 "Angle frame and 2"x3"x3/16" crossmembers.
I'd like to pick up this used trailer, it has a built in toolbox, electric winch etc and I don't care much for the trailer dealer but more importantly I need a trailer that is adequate.
I'm torn.
Anyone out there with first hand experience with this type of weight on this type of trailer?

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #4  
As a semi driver (pulling triple trailers), I'm more concerned about the atitude of the DRIVER than the size of trailer being towed. I rather see a securely attached tractor on a minimum-sized trailer (tractor/trailer right at gross weight) driven by a cautious owner at reasonable speeds than a poorly attached(or UNATTACHED) tractor on a huge multiaxle trailer driven by a maniac tailgating at 75 miles per hour.

It is not my intention to depress anyone here but inattention to safety kills. Just a year or so ago a guy driving a 1-ton 4WD Dodge dually pulling a huge 10,000+ lbs multi-axle trailer WAS tailgating a semi at 75 and rear-ended it when the trucker slowed to avoid an earlier accident. While the driver of the Dodge survived the initial rear-ender, the compact tractor was not secured to the his trailer and entered the back of his Dodge cab, killing him.

(PS: The jack stand at the rear of the trailer is important if you have a light tow vehicle. Without something under the end, one could lift the rear of the tow vehicle rendering the parking brake useless, especially if on an incline -- which one shouldn't do anyway.)

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #5  
I usually follow that good ol saying "When in doubt - go Stout". Hasn't failed me yet - if you are concerned then probably should go up in GVW - you can always carry more stuff with the heavier unit - only as long as you have the heavier axles and not vice versa if that makes sense. I actully carry my 7000 lb tractor on 20,000 GVW trailer - overkill yes - but it sure works and I can use the trailer for most anything else that I want to haul - hay - backhoe etc.

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #6  
The smaller trailer will work great for what you need. Unless you plan to carry more than 6000# +, tractor, attachments and material.....

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #7  
I agree with gvw and your dealer, go bigger! Although my trailer has the 7000 lb. axles it's only rated to haul 5000 pounds. I've replaced the bearings twice in my trailer now from hauling my skidsteer long distances which is only 4600 lbs. If I had it to do over I'd get the 10,000 lb. trailer no doubt in my mind. You'll only be sorry if you go smaller but you won't be sorry if you go bigger.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #8  
CBD, the more I hear the more I just do not understand... Two 7000# axles giving problems with a 4600# load. Yes there is a problem. It should not matter what the trailer (steel above the axle) is rated. The axle should easily carry it's rated load... And Mr Barb said he is not going far or very often..... I have never seen a trailer wear out with this kind of load for years and years of use.. MHO

/ How big of a trailer do I need?
I know bigger will never be a problem but has anyone here experienced any failures in a 6000# gvwr car hauler with 4,000+ of tractor?

/ How big of a trailer do I need? #10  
mdbarb,

I just bought an 18 foot utility trailer similar to Richard's. I didn't pay attention to the axle rating vs. GVW rating at the time. Mine is also 7000#axles and 5000# GVW of which 1600# is trailer weight. As it is now I don't haul that much weight and my tow vehicle can only pull 5000# anyway. Mine was $1525 and for another thousand or so you could get 10000#. I'd say get the bigger stronger trailer. You can always pull lighter loads on a heavier duty trailer but not vice versa.
35-43492-tractorsig2.JPG