Trailer Brakes

/ Trailer Brakes #11  
No doubt the best trailer brake controller out there is the ultima by Jordan Brake. They are at www.jordanbrake.com.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ Trailer Brakes #12  
Thanks for that tip Richard, I'm going to check into a Jordan /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

15-43440-790signaturegif.gif

/ Trailer Brakes #13  
Rob, I would stay away from the pendulum type... Most people who has used them do not like them... It can act differently going up or downhill also mounting can be a problem with some. Most electronic units have a dial for controling delay, and amount of force (weight of load). This last is very handy because of the big difference with and empty trailer and full load.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jag on 06/07/01 10:50 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Trailer Brakes #14  
Mike I believe the relays that you installed are for the brake circuit and the 12 charge line to the seven way plug in the back of the truck. You should still have a pigtail that plugs in under the dash and the brake controller hooks to that.

Then again I might be wrong.
Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Trailer Brakes #15  
People either love the DC ramp style of controller like the Jordan or hate it. It depends on driving style. If you ride your brakes at all you'll find the the trailer is doing most of the stopping and thats not good.

Same goes for the pendulum style of controller. Myself I prefer the pendulum style of controller. But thats me, having driven quite a few different rigs with different controllers, I find that the pendulum is the best setup.

Gordon

/ Trailer Brakes #16  
That's what I thought too.
There was a plastic bag in the glove box with the pigtail, the relays and a sheet of instructions (that I read last of course) . I originally bought a controller, hooked it up to the pigtail that just plugs in under the dash, but it didn't work. (no power from the pigtail) So I finally read the instructions and it said if you had the towing package factory installed you didn't need a separate controller.
" Your vehicle has been equipped with a factory installed 7-way trailer tow system... If your trailer has electric brakes, simply connect your trailer to your vehicle"
I called a Ford dealer to confirm and he said the same thing (but I got the impression he really didn't know fer sure). I know when I have the tractor loaded on behind that lil' F150 I sure need the brakes on the trailer to work and they do just fine. Would they work at all without a controller? I'm assuming here that since they do indeed work that there must be something in the trucks computer that takes care of it.
I've only hauled the tractor once so far but there is no doubt that the trailer brakes were working as advertised 'cause I was going up and down hills. I sure hope my assumption is right - not a good policy I agree but all I have for now. I tried to buy a Chiltons for the truck to get a schematic - but they aren't out yet I guess.
mike

/ Trailer Brakes #17  
I see two serious problems with a "hidden" factory brake controller:

1) No warning if the circuit isn't complete, an all to common experience with trailers with exposed wiring.

2) No way to adjust brake power. The controller could lock up the brakes on my 12,000 lb trailer when empty and have way to little power when it is loaded.

Pat

/ Trailer Brakes #18  
Now that is a new one on me thanks for the information. That is the first I've ever heard of a built in controller. Times a changin.

Wonder why they still give you a pigtail and relays? Go figure
Also I've got the same question how can you adjust it?

Gordon

/ Trailer Brakes
“What year and model is your F250??”

Mike,

My truck is a 93. That year is pre-wired for an add on controller but its not built in.

Is hauling all but the smallest of tractors with a f150 pretty exciting (not in a positive way)?
I also own a Nissan pathfinder, although the manual claims it can haul 5000 lbs mine never will. Great four-wheel drive truck but not quite up to most pulling tasks.

Phred