Trailer to haul RTV

/ Trailer to haul RTV #1  

RTVLady

Tractor
RTV 900W, JD 2030 Tractor
Started to look for a side by side back in August. Found the RTV, looked neat, but I had no clue about it. Found this site on the internet. You guys have been great!!! Ordered the Worksite, changed the tires to the ATV style before I picked it up from the dealer. Also got the Metal roof and winch put on. The spray in bed liner came next. Kubota's windshield to follow. Since I've spent this much on it, I'll go with Kubota's Windshield. Now I need a trailer to pull this toy, I mean, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif work vehicle. I presently drive a Toyota Sienna van. Currently using my brother-in-law's pickup and work trailer to take it out to the land we just purchased. Would you guys recommend a single or dual axel trailer? Any other recommendations? Have 23 hours on it. My 10 year old nephew has put on 20 of those hours. It's been a great to have. Thank you for providing all the information on all the vehicles. You guys have been a great help. RTVLady

/ Trailer to haul RTV #2  
Whether or not you go with 1 or 2 axles, get at least one axle with brakes. That thing weighs a ton (literally) and its not about your vehicle being able to tow it, heck an s-10 pickup could get it moving, but it is about STOPPING IT!!!

I prefer 2 axles though. Last week I had a trailer flat coming back from hunting and did not have my spare with me (my fault I was in a hurry. I just pulled over and removed the flat tire and drove home on 3 tires.

Good luck, Lorn

/ Trailer to haul RTV #3  
It fits really nice on a 5'x10' trailer with ramp gate. I use a Performance galvanized trailer with angle iron side rails. This keeps the RTV nice and secure. Nice part is the RTV can tow this trailer real easy and thus you now have a large capacity trailer to fill with tree limbs, hay, fire wood & anything else you can think of. I tow mine with a F250SD Crew Cab and have no problem stopping without brakes, but if you are towing with anything less, GET BRAKES.... Trailer should be able to haul 2000 > 2500 lbs and be sure ramp gate will haul the same. Some of the cheap lawn maintance trailers have very light gates and the screen mesh will bend on the first load. A single axle trailer will work fine but tandem is better for long trips. Single is better for pulling behind the RTV and easier for you to move around when you are trying to connect it to your towing vehicle.

I'm in the trailer business in Florida so I tend to get into my trailer details. No one else loves trailer but me.....

/ Trailer to haul RTV
Thanks for your help. I was looking in the Manual and it said that the RTV hitch had a tongue weight of 110 pounds. What happens if the trailer you attach has more than 110 pounds of weight in that area? Also, I am looking at getting a piece of equipment that one can attach to the hitch that will throw clay pigeions for skeet/trap. It has a little seat attached to it. If the hitch can only take 110 pounds and the person sitting on the thing is over 110 pounds (only the kids weigh 110 lbs or less /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) what will happen? The picture on the box shows it coming off the back of a pickup truck, which I know it's hitch can handle any one of us. But what about on the back of the Kubota? Any suggestions?

/ Trailer to haul RTV #5  
We put our thrower in the bed of the truck, will switch it to the RTV in the spring. Build a simple platform to fit in the bed of the RTV and bolt the thrower to it. The clay pigeons will be right there with you and you won't have to unload the boxes of clays each time. The weight of the operator holds it in place and if you shoot late you can unload in the morning, it will not take up any more space.

/ Trailer to haul RTV #6  
I've had about 3 times that weight on my RTV's tongue with no problems. Don't worry about that rating. its WAYYYYY underated.. trust me:)

Frank

/ Trailer to haul RTV #7  
It can be over loaded but it will take a lot of extra weight. I over loaded mine today and it looks like it may have bent it a little bit but not enough to even say for sure.

You may want to make a fold down leg that goes to the ground when the RTV gets to the spot where you plan to throw the clays.... That way you don't have to worry about bending the hitch(which is the rear axle)

/ Trailer to haul RTV #8  
I agree with the fact this hitch is underated and can handle much more. I guess worst case scenario if you overload it would be that the hitch welds would break. Very dangerous at highway speeds but in the RTV's range your trailer would just hit the ground unless you were on an incline.

As for your thrower, if you are considering something like this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0003678223858a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=thrower&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=thrower&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml Then you might leave the front legs attached and then you will only be putting half (approx.) of your weight on the hitch while sitting on it.