Need Dump Trailer info.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #21  
The jacks have always been a sore point with me. A jack can be a potential clearance problem especially when the trailer is being used off road. Mine is farther back from the tongue and is one of the ones that can be quickly extended or retracted along with the regular screw adjustment. When not in use the bottom foot is far enough up that there's no chance of it snagging something.

The tongue is another opportunity for versatility. The tongue mounts with interchangeable fittings allow the use of either a clevis for hooking directly to a tractor draw bar, a conventional coupler or a lunette. The set up also allows several height adjustments that make it much easier to match the hitch height when you pull the trailer with a variety of vehicles.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #22  
Mine has the adjustable tongue too, what it also does is let you set the trailer up to match any other trailers you have so one ball mount will be setup for all.
Before anyone hooks their trailer up to run off the tractor hydraulics I would make sure it does not void their warranty.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #23  
1 more idea, from having used rental dump trailers and being frustrated:

If you intend to use the dumper for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, the battery will die on you. When a battery is allowed to deep discharge (even marine batteries), they won't last but 1 year of regular use. Marine batteries are not rated for rough service either. They can't take the pounding. The solution is to use 2 Wal-Mart 6v golf cart batteries in series. You get nearly twice the capacity for about $30 more. A pair of golf cart batteries only cost $100. Golf cart batteries are true deep discharge batteries, and will last all day for 3-4 years of rough service and deep discharges.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #24  
Interesting, thats good to know. My neighbors dump trailer just has the little whimpy looking 12 volt volkswagen size battery on a very nice Hursch dumping mechanism. When I have borrowed it, I always needed to lift the bed to get to the battery to recharge it, problem was, it would not lift to get to the battery to recharge it so the alternative was to crawl underneath and feel your way to the terminals. It does charge however when you drive providing your setup for it.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #25  
I use the same fluid in the trailer hydraulic system that I use in my Kubota.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #27  
That's why you convert your trailer to work with tractor hydraulics and bypass the battery pump. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Doesn't work very well when you use it with the pick-up though.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #28  
Darren,
you said your trailer came setup for tractor hydraulics. I didn't know they came like that. I was just thinking before someone modified their hydraulics they should check with the dealer to make sure it didn't void the warranty in case of a problem. I seldom use the trailer without the truck so it's a moot point for me anyways. The only problem I have with mine is if I get too much of a load I have to jack up the front of the box about 8" to get it to lift. I think it's because of the low profile puts the cylinder almost parallel to the bed and it can't quite get it. No biggy, if I get too much in I would just as soon give it a little help.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #29  
I sat down with the builder and went over every thing I wanted including the option of using either the tractor's hydraulics or the self contained system. I asked his advice on any issues that might develop. The only thing he cautioned me about was loading the thing to the top with heavy materials. The struck capacity is 22 yds. The floor is heavier than most trailers, but it still won't handle 22 yds of sand or rock.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #30  
Rat, I have a 12,000 lb 6x12 dumper with the battery and hydraulic pump under the bed. I got around the access to the battery for charging by buying an 3"x6"x2" encapsulated battery charger. I strapped it right to the battery box and attached the leads. The AC power cord hangs down just inside of side rail ahead of the front wheel. When the trailer is not being used, I just drag out an extension cord and grab the easily accessible plug.