Need Dump Trailer info.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #1  

Pird

I need some advise on dump trailers. I have a YM2210D (about 25HP 4WD) with a FEL. I want to move a LARGE amount of dirt from a dried up lake to a sinkhole. Moving distance is less than 1000 feet and fairly level. Would like to do it myself without spending a lot of bucks.
I have never used or for that matter seen a dump trailer. I do not have a feel for how big a trailer I should get that my tractor can handle. I guess I could get one slightly oversized and fill with dirt according to what the tractor can handle but I don’t know what size that would be. Also need some words on the types of dumping mechanisms. Any help will really be appreciated. Pird

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #2  
hellow, there are several things you need to consider
1 weight of tractor. most of the time you want to keep what you are hauling plus the weight of the trailer close to the weight of your tractor. 2 terrian. level ground will allow you to haul more weight as long as you dont have any hills the steeper the hill the less you will be able to haul remember it is all about stopping not pulling. if the ground is soft that will limit how much you can haul. 3 material. the dirt will determin weight also wet,clay,sandy,rocky. the best thing to do is use a trailer similar or smaller in size to your tractor. when you get the trailer take baby steps and load light and keep adding a little each load till you notice what makes the tractor start to grunt then you will have an idea of what the limits are. if you look under build it yourself on this forum you will see one i just posted. hope this helps and always be carefull take it slow till you learn. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #3  
If you intend to haul over 3 yards, you'll need a double axle.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #4  
I use a couple different style dump trailers in my landscape business. The one I seem to keep going to is an E-Z Dump, 6X12 low profile 10,000 pounder. This is a two axle trailer with electric brakes. This particular model is a little too oversized for your use, but there are smaller models available. Below is a list of those items I feel makes this trailer so useful:

1. low profile keeps load close to ground.
2. "Barn door" gates make for better dumping control.
3. Independent battery powered pum system for dump
4. Road ready for additional uses.
5. Low profile is great for equipment loading (this model came with ramps).
6. Low profile easy to load with FEL
7. Great Mulch/Stone hauler for dumping or manual offloading.

Hope this info. is useful to you

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #5  
Kim, what if you wanted to haul a bunch of trash, would your trailer easily accomoadate adding some kind of extensions? I see many low sided trailers while my neighbor has a fairly tall sided one, about 6' and he still has extensions on top of that if he needs them. I like the idea of low sides for easy loading but would want to have the ability to increase my capacity for light material. Thanks, Rat...

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #6  
My trailer is the same setup as Kim's, just a different brand. It's got stakehole pockets down each side that you can put a 2X4 in. My trailer has 20" sides and I put a 16" extension on. I've seen them like you said with much higher extensions also. Love my dump trailer. During the summer it's hooked to my truck more than it's not. I've got the regular tailgate on mine and I can see the advantages of the barn door type.

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #7  
My trailer (not a dump kind) has metal foot high rails around it. PLUS, it has stake pockets. I built a set of 1x12s to fit in the stake pockets to carry a low load.

I figure when the daughter needs to move back from college, I'll build 4 ft high sides on it and have something that can move her in one trip.

I agree, having options for rails is really nice!

ron

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #8  
I just went thru the process of buying one. Some things to look for (in no particular order of importance);

- Lockable battery/hydraulics box. This appears to be standard on bigger trailers (10+ft long) but not on smaller ones.
- Deep draw marine battery: Lasts longer between charges. Also, some systems have a bulit-in charging system so that when it's plugged into your vehicle it will recharge the battery.
- Remote control dump: some are tethered by a 10-20ft cord, some are wireless. If either version will reach to the seat of your vehicle you can meter the dump as you pull away.
- Lift mechanism: single piston, single piston with scissor lift, dual piston. I've heard each of them praised and brashed; depends on what type the sales guy was selling.
- Tailgate design: some trailers have just one of these types and others incorporate a multi-function rear door that consists of barn door, drop door (like a pick-up), or lift door with metering chains (like a dump truck).
- If you plan on heavy hauling check-out the cross beam design underneath the bed of the trailer. It should be hefty center & side beams with cross-bracing. Look for multiple D-rings - or places to weld them yourself - if you're thinking of hauling equipment in it.
- Power-up/power-down vs power-up/gravity-down. Power both ways is prefferred but it comes at a higher cost.
- Powder coat finish vs enamel paint: powder will look nicer, longer.
- How much $$ is in your wallet: Depending on whether you want the Chevy or the Cadillac, and what size, prices will range from $2k up to $8-9k. There are some new ones on eBay and I've seen them occasionally in the classifieds. I think TSC even has some real small ones now. It's one of the items people buy and rarely let go of.

-Norm

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #9  
one thing no one has mentioned is how it SETS when you fill it up, and hook up on it when full.

this is the problem I ran/run into with mine. I load it using the tractor FEL and then hook up and pull it with tractor. problem is if you get too much in back it can and will dump it's self on you when raises the ball mount to about 6' high ( done it 2 times now... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif bent up the hitch lowering it once using the FEL down force then wedged in some fire wood under the back. while I built mine I wanted it short and somewhat high for single site dumping & towing through woods & tight corners in the stream. (hauling crick run out for my own use.) so far about 40 + loads. I now bought a swing back trailer jack for the back of it so when I disconnect it I can load from any spot and it will stay level. it has side crank and will be mounted to the back drivers side of the dump. I have dual gate which will meter dump or drop down like a pickup tailgate. or it can be removed simple 4 bolt on design.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Need Dump Trailer info. #10  
This model has 20" inch metal sides that have front and rear "pockets" for adding to the height, the front panel also has "pockets" right and left. Right now I have a single layer of 2X12's bolted into them. You could frame up as high as you need without too much trouble. Adding to the height of the barn doors would be a little more involved. Most of the time I see guys usng some form of webbing if needed.