clamp-on trailer hitch

/ clamp-on trailer hitch #1  

JimMorrissey

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05/'06 L39 TLB
Does anybody own one of these and how does it work?

These units clamp to your loader bucket so you can easily move trailers around. I can't seem to locate many manufacturers....Found one on Ebay and one from Paynes Forks. Does anybody know of any others.....just to compare price and quality.

-Thought about just drilling / burning through the bucket and screwing in a ball, but decided not to in light of the heavy loads I'll be moving (5,000+ lbs) with dump trailer.

/ clamp-on trailer hitch #2  
Wouldn't something like the EZ trailer hitch being offered at the top of the attachments forum be a better alternative for you? It hooks to the top link and a horizontal draw bar on the 3pt hitch. Seems like it would be safer for a heavy trailer to do it this way.

I've seen bolted in and welded on hitch balls on loader buckets, but I don't remember seeing a bolt ON. I'm sure someone makes them, but I just haven't seen them. I prefer to do my towing from the rear where the capacity is higher, and probably safer.
John

/ clamp-on trailer hitch #3  
I saw a clamp on in an ad on one of the discussion pages recently (last 2-3 days), but can't remember who had it. It was shown with Grapples, 4 in 1's, etc; Would be simple to build as well.
Had a loader with ball in bucket hole one time. It doesn't work. Problem being that many trailer couplers are mounted above the tongue, and where anything projects lower than the coupler it will catch on the edge of the bucket when turning the slightest bit. Ball should be mounted out front of the bucket. Also helps you to see it a little bit for lining up.
but a trailer like that would definitely be better attached to rear of machine. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
R.

/ clamp-on trailer hitch
Matt,

Does the ball screwing directly into that post that sticks up? I looked at them....might buy it.

/ clamp-on trailer hitch
John,

I've got a hoe on the rear of my machine that will be used to load the trailer, then move it with the loader attachment with 2 5/16th ball. That's the plan anyway. We'll see how it works. Thanks for the thought anyway.

Attachments

• 636935-udump.gif
    636935-udump.gif
    62 KB · Views: 543
   / clamp-on trailer hitch #7  
Jim

That is the ball, or a post actually. It slides up into the receiver. I'm sure the folks at Paynes could delete that and just have a hole for you to put a ball in, but this design makes it easy to grap a trailer and move it while never leaving the tractor. That's what I like about it. I can quickly move the various trailers around our facility.

/ clamp-on trailer hitch #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( John,

I've got a hoe on the rear of my machine that will be used to load the trailer, then move it with the loader attachment with 2 5/16th ball. That's the plan anyway. We'll see how it works. Thanks for the thought anyway. )</font>
I should have added that I move my 18 footer around by sticking one of the teeth on my toothbar up in it and lifting with the loader. Works just fine, but could slip out!
John

/ clamp-on trailer hitch #9  
Jim- if you don't mind drilling 4 holes in your bucket, you can mount a receiver hitch built for underneath a step n' tow bumper upside down at the tip of the bucket. I used some extra steel on the bottom for added strength and grade 8 bolts. Works like a charm for many uses!!!

Attachments

• 637045-bucket receiver.jpg
    637045-bucket receiver.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 673
   / clamp-on trailer hitch #10  
Peter

Isn't that a pain to remove that everytime you want to use the bucket. I would think it would be pretty bent up after awhile.