Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer?

/ Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Does anyone have any advice on retrofitting surge brakes to a trailer than currently doesn't have brakes? I've got a 5x10 single-axle trailer that is legally rated for 2990 lbs, but actually has a 3500 lb axle and 1800 lb tires. I get a little nervous with even 2000 lbs on it even though I could theoretically pull more (my Isuzu Rodeo is rated for 3000 lbs tow weight and 500 lb tongue weight). I've heard a bit about surge brakes, which (to my understanding) work by having a sliding tongue with a hydraulic ram in it. When you apply the brakes on the vehicle, the inertia of the trailer pushing on the tongue pushes the ram, which applies pressurized fluid to the brakes on the trailer. Sounds awefully reliable and problem-free in concept. I've thought about electric brakes, but it sure seems difficult to keep the lights on the trailer working, so I'd imagine electric brakes would be just as problem-prone...I could be wrong of course.

Anyone else using surge brakes? Are there kits to retrofit surge brakes that anyone has used or knows of?

Thanks!
Dave

/ Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #2  
Dave- My trailer has surge brakes and I love em! Now I know its a touchy subject as many may not agree, and surge brakes are certainly not right for everything, especially very heavy rigs. They are, however, a very nice way to go for smaller trailers as you mention. My trailer is 7000# GW and I pull it with my Dodge 1500 4WD. It works very well for towing my CUT and lots of other things in the 3-5k pound range. If you want to see how these things look, go to any U-Haul outlet and look at their car haulers, they all have surge brakes.

Pretty simple device and like I say I'm 100% satisfied with mine. The hitch itself is a self-contained bolt on unit that works with conventional hydraulic brakes.

/ Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #3  
Dave, that can certainly be done, and you can go to google.com and enter "surge brake kit" and find a lot of information such as this. And of course, this is just one example.

/ Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #4  
As the others have said retrofitting surge brakes is usually not a big problem.

One comment, I had surge brakes on a boat trailer and had to get out and lock them out before backing it up and then remember to re-enable them after pulling the boat out of the water.

Ben

/ Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #5  
New Hydraulic brake trailer hubs have a free-backing mechanism that disengages the brakes when the trailer is backed, especially up a slope. No longer have to get out and lock them out before backing up. (Too many people used to forget to remove the bolt they inserted)

http://www.championtrailers.com/brkart.html has more details

Now if you scrounge hubs from somewhere else, you will not have that feature, but there are solenoids to release the brakes when the reverse lights come on.

I have Surge brakes on my trailer and have not had any issues with them. I much prefer them over electric brakes. Many folks will disagree - Do a search on surge brakes - there are lots of earlier discussions on the topic.

/ Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #6  
I don't disagree with surge brakes. I was considering installing them on my trailer converting elec. brakes to surge & using disc instead of the drum system.I forget what the numbers were, but, the salesman told me that hyd. surge brakes didn't apply as much pressure to the brakes as does the elect. brakes.I didn't convert because of this & the cost to convert was going tobe approx. .$1000.00 for 1 axle. If you install surge, please post how they work out,& good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #7  
Have them on my trailer and have hauled on Interstates, State, County Highways, usually no problems. Have a County Highway, steep grade for one section with 35mph corner at the botom - grade is 4 miles long - have to apply the pickup brakes frequently, which results in surge brakes engaging for longer period of time. Have had problems with my brakes not wanting to release completely after descending and wheels heating up. Had to disconnect brake on one wheel completely, so now have brakes on 3 wheels. I'm not enough of a mechanic to solve the problem, have cleaned the wheel cylinders - would appreciate any advice on this. Final comment, when backing up I place a block of wood between fixed and moving part of the hitch so it doesn't close. Attaching pic of the brake (Trailer was custom made with 2 6,000 lb. axles.)
penokee /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 654967-Trailer Surge Brakes.jpg
    654967-Trailer Surge Brakes.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,346
   / Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #8  
trailer w/surge brakes.

Attachments

• 654969-Kubota on trailer.jpg
    654969-Kubota on trailer.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 595
   / Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #9  
Hauled our son's car a few hundred miles, using a U haul w/surge brakes, as mentoned by Syncro - worked good. Didn't dare take mine on a longer trip because of brakes hanging up. Picture of U haul surge brake attached.

Attachments

• 654985-Surge brakes - u haul.jpg
    654985-Surge brakes - u haul.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,445
   / Retro-fitting surge brakes to a trailer? #10  
U haul trailer w/surge brakes.
Note: U haul holds you responsible for any damage to trailer, so took a few pics before renting, so proof of existing damage before we left.

Attachments

• 654987-Surge brakes - U haul 2.jpg
    654987-Surge brakes - U haul 2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 818