trailer hitch on backhoe?

/ trailer hitch on backhoe? #1  

mdbarb

Gold Member
Tractor
B21
I see many ads for trailer hitches on drawbars at the rear but I use the backhoe all the time and don't want to take it off just to move a trailer.
We have an enclosed trailer that gets storedin a very tight spot that requires every ounce of my backing up going forward skills when attached to the pickup.
I'm thinking if I could attache the trailer to a ball somewhere on the backhoe bucket - the tractor is shorter and MUCH more manuverable - I should be able to place that puppy on a dime.
But where, how to mount a ball on the backhoe without interferance problems?
Perhaps some sort of a slot/sleeve that the ball hitch could easily slide into when needed.
I know there are brilliant solutions out there amongst the TBN fabricators

/ trailer hitch on backhoe? #2  
Seems like somebody did that but can't remember. Did you try a search? In a pinch one time I just found an old swivel link thingy that a ball stem would go thru then wrapped a chain around the bucket somehow that held well and just towed an enpty trailer around. Since then I drilled a hole in my FEL cutting edge to mount a ball ... very quick, easy and works great ... and I like pushing the trailer rather than pulling it!
Cheers!

/ trailer hitch on backhoe?
I like the manuverability of a backhoe instead of a fel
I havnt founf anything in a search

/ trailer hitch on backhoe? #4  
Ok, if it's been done or thought of, this is the most likely your guy: GuglioLS.
Hope that helps, cheers!

/ trailer hitch on backhoe? #5  
I made a simple device that I attach to the center of my loader bucket and it has a ball on it. I now see that they sell these.
Mine is simple, but you would probably have to have a welder.The ones you can buy use a screw clamp to hold them in place.
for mine I used a pe=ice on steel angle iron and set the ball on one end and the other end drilled a small hole 3/8 in the bucket . and used a bolt to attach it. I just reciently welded the bolt solid and drinlled it out to take a lynch pin. This makes it easy to put on and off.
My trouble is remembering where I put it last..LOL
The advantage to this type is that I can see the trailer and its much easier to jog it around.
I could get a picture if youd be interested.
Allan

/ trailer hitch on backhoe? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I like the manuverability of a backhoe instead of a fel
I havnt founf anything in a search )</font>

I don't understand this comment - there is a difference between a real backhoe, a Tractor-Loader-Backhoe, and a loader tractor, but I can't tell what you are prefering....

Anyhow, there are several clamp-on hitches that will work if your trailer is not too big a load. Look to the advertisers here, or anyplace that sells loader attachments such as pallet forks, esp the clamp on forks. I've seen a dozen different copmanies that offer such.

--->Paul

/ trailer hitch on backhoe?
Paul
I have a Kubota B21.
What are the differences between a real backhoe, tractor loader backhoe and loader tractor (as they relate to this topic)?
I have looked online but not seen what I am looking for - a simple receiver for a ball located somewhere on or near the backhoe bucket.

/ trailer hitch on backhoe? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Paul
I have a Kubota B21.
What are the differences between a real backhoe, tractor loader backhoe and loader tractor (as they relate to this topic)?
I have looked online but not seen what I am looking for - a simple receiver for a ball located somewhere on or near the backhoe bucket. )</font>

I see. I got a bit muddled. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A real backhoe is on tracks, has the backhoe arm, and that is all. Doesn't look like a tractor at all, some will call it an excavator I believe.

I thought you were talking about a TLB you have - like the Case or JD units, they are a beefed up tractor with a dedicated construction loader on them, dedicated backhoe on the back. There is no 3pt hitch or pto, the front axle is industrial, the hydraulics are beefed up......

A loader tractor is what you have - with a 3pt or frame mounted backhoe on it.

When you said you wanted to be more manuverable & mount a reciever hitch on the bucket, I thought you meant you wanted to put the hitch on the _loader_ bucket, and be able to back your trailer around. It is much more manuverable that way.

There are many companies making such clamp-on reciever hitches.

I'm not aware of a hitch that goes on the backhoe arm/bucket. That would be rather stressfull on the geomotry of the arms & hydraulics, and may not be a very good idea.

--->Paul

/ trailer hitch on backhoe? #9  
A Kubota B-21 is a TLB.

I would simply weld on a plate to the upper rear lip of the BH bucket and install a trailer ball onto that with the bucket levelled.

I welded a clevis hook onto the BH of our L-39 TLB as seen in the attached photo, something similar with your B-21 is possible with a ball hitch... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Attachments

• 764888-L39 BH Hook2.jpg
    764888-L39 BH Hook2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,406