Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!!

/ Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!! #1  

seasalt

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Man, there is nothing like a nice piece of gear!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The original 1952 mom and pop trailer mfg co owner (complete with the mom at his side) was in the fab shop when I picked up the trailer. I told him I was very satisfied with my choice and had been sold way up (mostly by my own shopping and comparison) from a large production line twin 3500# axle trailer at the $2xxx price point to this "small, family owned, we build them one at at time and we tell the boys in the shop to just take their time and do it right", model at nearly double that, but felt it would not only haul my 5500# load without being right at the designed load limit, but also be safe for off loading material with my tractor. I also found that after adding up all of the "options" on the production trailer and upgrading it to twin 5200# axles, I was within spitting distance of the standard cost of this "family built" model.

I told the owner I felt this could be my last trailer, (when I plaed the order the salesman told me it would be my kids last too). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I listened to the owner tell me about all the stuff they do that the other guys dont do - most of which I had noticed on my own, and all of which I had already checked out and he was right. We had a nice conversation afterwhich he told me I was wrong about one thing...then he into a story about how he had been using the same frame design since 1952, then told me another story about a man who came in recently looking for an axle for his 1970 model, (didnt need a new trailer - just a replacement part).

Then he told me what I was wrong about - said the trailer I was buying would last through not just me and my kids but my GRANDKIDS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3 1/2 Sched 40!! pipe rails, (never seen anything that large on any pipe trailer anywhere in my market - Houston), Goodyear Workhorse tires on 8 lug rims, twin 7000 # axles, dual brakes, no angle iron in frame - all HD "C" channel joists, FULLY PRIMED / FULLY PAINTED (every inch - actually never saw that on comparables either - they usually have huge underside holidays in the paint when you look underneath), 7k# drop jack.....on and on. Capable of 14,000 GVWR, derated by manufacturer to 12,000 as an added margin of safety (standard, not by my request), with a net stated hauling cap of 9000#.

Should be sturdy for all I can hit it with, especially considering its first tow vehicle will be my Z-71 Suburban - stated towing capacity limits out right around the weight of all my gear, and of course that assumes you have the truck fully loaded with gear and passengers as well. (I am starting to form fuzzy images in my head that look like a diesel as a future tow vehicle).

After all was said and done (got a set of WL 3500# straps for the odd stuff, and FOUR chain and binder sets for my tractor BH and FEL), I upgraded my hitch to a nicely machined, forged aluminum, adjustable height, twin ball hitch. Really nice - and good looking, (in fact I walked out and found my wife of all people just standing there staring at it the other day!)

Sorry guys. Have pics ready to send (resized for the web and all), but cant figure out how enable multiple attachments - TBN wont allow or I am doing something wrong. Clicking Image in the Instant Markup section on TBN only offers a URL option. Using Attachments seems to allow one at a time. Someboby please give me the clue and I will follow up with a few additional shots.

In other related news...Saw a trailer loaded with two commercial mowers and a small tractor with FEL on the highway the other day. Loaded on (and hanging over) a 22' dovetail, with a total of three nylon straps for the whole rig!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Saw another trailer the same day driving down the road at a good clip - hit a set of tracks crossing the highway and began a somewhat radical front twist / flexing for several seconds afterward . Looked like it was built of rubber!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Made me glad I spent a few extra bucks to properly transport any load I will need.

New JD 3720, 300CX, 448BH is due next.

Attachments

• 746056-rear-view.jpg
    746056-rear-view.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,232
   / Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!!
Ok, since I know how much folks like pics and I am not sure when I will be able to follow up if and when I learn to bundle a set of photos, I'll bite and just send what I have one at a time - or maybe that is the only way...?

anyway...Pic 2

Attachments

• 746066-side-view.jpg
    746066-side-view.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,800
   / Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!! #3  
Cool! After my experience this spring, I'm glad to hear that you plan to use chains for your tractor. That's a nice looking trailer. From my past experience with trailers, about the only thing I didn't see (maybe I just missed it) was a spare tire.

On past trailers I've had, twice I got caught at my remotely located property with a flat tire. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I didn't have any spare. With the new 25' trailer I bought earlier this year to fit my particular needs, I made sure that I got a spare tire mounted on the trailer. So far I haven't had to use it, but it's there and will save me a minimum of a half a day of running around if I do have a flat. Good luck!

**edit**

Doh! I see you sneaked another picture on here while I was typing. You already have the spare thing handled. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Hey, good idea! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pic 3

Attachments

• 746068-rear-detail.jpg
    746068-rear-detail.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,374
Pic 4

Attachments

• 746069-tire-wheel.jpg
    746069-tire-wheel.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,198
Pic 5

Attachments

• 746071-tounge-bulldog-adj-hitch.jpg
    746071-tounge-bulldog-adj-hitch.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,183
Dargo,

In case you didnt hear it enough, your post on chains / straps was very useful for many members, and incredibly timely for me personally. Thanks again to you, Dargo, and everone else who takes the time to spare the rest of us needless oops by sharing your experiences.

/ Got My New Trailer Today...SWEEET!! #8  
Very nice looking trailer. With those sched. 40 rails it should be extra stiff.

How is the wooden deck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif finished. Is it treated lumber.

Just for interest are you involved in radiography?

Egon

Interesting you should ask. The flooring is "treated" or what we used to call most commonly by its brand name at least down here for the last 30 years or so..."Wolmanized lumber".

Interesting part is as I was going over specs, I noticed the treatment spec (concentration of chemical driven into the wood using pressure and heat) is lower in the last few years than it used to be. Turns out the higher concentrations - normally used for wood in ground contact (good for up to 20 years or 40 years if no ground contact - and if you believe them or think you will remember what brand of juice was injected into your boards or where you bought them if they rot in less than that time!!!) was found to be corrosive to the frame steel. For that reason this trailer manufacturer stopped using the highest level of chemical in favor of the non ground contact concentration. Their testing indicated the corrosive effect was much less while the impact on the life of the boards was minimal.

Egon,

Dont know much about radiography. Are you connected to that field/hobby? PM me if you have a lot you think might be too far off topic. I'd be interested to know.