Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers?

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
What do you all think about the Tekonsha <font color="blue">Prodigy</font> controller? I've been reading other threads that mention it. It looks from the information of this web page that they address some concerns that have been expressed about operating on hilly terrain, or backing up.

I've also looked at the <font color="blue">Jordan Ultima</font> which has been recommended, but I wonder about the amount of braking applied to the trailer being determined by the amount of tow vehicle brake pedal travel. Will it accommodate for changes in the condition of the brakes in the tow vehicle which might require more brake pedal travel to acheive the desired braking?

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #2  
I have had the Prodigy for a several years now. It has been a great controller. Here is a thread on them. Click Here
There have been a couple of recent threads where the Prodigy has been discussed also. For ease of installation and operation you cannot beat the Prodigy.

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #3  
I look at it this way. There are perhaps better controllers out there -- there are less expensive controllers out there...

But, the Prodigy is likely the biggest selling controller out there -- for a reason...

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #4  
I have been using the Jordan Ultima for about 1 1/2 years. I got it after the Tekonsha Voyager unit I had stopped working while towing my tractor /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

All I can say is, WOW /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is so smooth! You hardly know your towing a trailer.
There are no high-tech electronics to blow up, just a simple rheostat that increases voltage in proportion to the brake pedal position. It reminds me of the old controllers we had at work work years ago that were tapped into the hydraulic brake lines.

The AMP gauge is a nice feature, you quickly learn what your trailer reads at different loads so you can change the braking on the fly. And if you loose a brake due to wiring or a bad magnet, you will see the decrease in amp draw on the gauge. It is also made in the USA, and has a real nice metal case that can be mounted any way you want; sideways, backwards, upside down, whatever....it does not care!

And I think for the $119.00 delivered it is a real bargain /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #5  
I like the Prodigy brake controller so well that when I traded my Ford F350 in on a Chevy Silverado....I insisted they install the Prodigy on the Chevy. They did...it works great, and it's easy to use.

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #6  
This is like asking which is better: Stihl or Husky?

I've got a Prodigy. The Jordan is probably a better controller, but he Prodigy does all I need it to do. I would buy another.

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #7  
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif cp1969 good point.

I've a Prodigy and a Stihl.

The best? Just what I am real happy with, but can't say they are the best, but wouldn't buy anything else if doing it over again. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #8  
I have a Tekonosha and a Husqvarna 385....

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #9  
Brakesmart is sposta be the leader of the pack.
I've got a Jordan and a Stihl, the Stihl doesn't stop the trailer worth a darn though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Comments on Trailer Brake Controllers? #10  
Prodigy and a Stihl .... can't comment on the Prodigy since I haven't managed to get around to hooking it up .... but the Stihl has been going strong for about 25 years ..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif