Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #31  
RayH, I apologize if I added fuel to the fire. It took me some time to see your point. I now agree that in general but with some exceptions, non commercial applications under 26k GCW but with a trailer >10k do not need a CDL.

When it comes to commercial driving, it seems like you are guilty until proven innocent. That said, the act of pulling anything suspect could if nothing else, cost you some time along the road until you prove your innocence. I agree with doing your homework before you hit the road.

Check this info out. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/lw/cmvlaw/cdl/cdlmain.asp
And this one. http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/commercial-motor-vehicle.html

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #32  
<font color="blue"> I forget who posted earlier about not being able to take a Class A skills test with their 10000 pound truck and 18000 pound trailer, their is nothing federally that says you can't. If your trailer is a pintle or ball mount (not a fith wheel) then you will have to have a pintle restriction on your license preventing you from driving a TT unit, you will probably have an Air break restriction as well. However you will need to pass the appropriate written test and probably have to go through a pre trip inspection test, parking and manuvering test, and a road test by your state. </font> That woulda been me. Correct, federally you can. My point was in MD., it was next to impossible and just not worth fooling with anymore. I just hire it out when moving bigger stuff around. They didn't even want to change my registration to show GCVW to keep the scale inspectors happy.

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #33  
I have a class B with a tank endorsement. I was told buy the tester at the skills test I could bring my PU and duel tandem back and tack the test for a class A. I got the big truck air brake stuff out of the way with the bob tail tank truck. I never did.
Now y'all are making think I need to get my class A. When I pull my dozer on my duel tandem I am above my GCWR of 23,000lbs, me and every guy with 20 round bails on there trailer. I have never paid that much mine to it. The trailer I rated for 20,000. I am guessing with 15% on the truck I am at the limits of the trailer. The truck is there to. I am guessing am am over around 7000lbs. I usuley do not go to far If I go 30 miles that was a trip. In our part of the world ever oil field truck has a full load with just the steel work bed and welders. Then they put a 30' goose neck and a 15,000 lb back hoe. I have neve seen one pulled over buy DOT or the State. I am not saying it is right. Also all of this stuff is local.
John

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #34  
I would definately say you need a Class A.
If you are pulling a trailer with a GVWR of 20000lbs, that only leaves 6000lbs for the truck before you get over the combined 26000lbs minimum for CDLs. There are probably provisions in your state that allow nonCDL drivers to drive farm use or recreational use vehicles over 26000lbs, maybe you qualify for that.

Also, be very careful pulling that 20000lbs trailer. If you get caught and have only a CDL B, you are in much bigger trouble than if you didnt have a CDL at all. With a CDL you are expected to know and understand the limits of your license, theyll cut you no slack and your CDL B could be suspended in a second. If you didnt have a CDL, it would be a small fine and a slap on the wrist.

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #35  
Sorry to re-open a really old thread - but it seems to make more sense than to start an entirely new one.

I'm a bit confused by some of the wording of the requirements of my state for needing a CDL:

Massachusetts Commercial Drivers License Rules | DrivingLaws.org

Massachusetts follows federal guidelines that provide for three classifications of CMVs as described below. (Learn more about the Federal Commercial Driver’s License Program (CDL/CDLIS).) CDLs are regulated nationwide under the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999. That law was modified by the Patriot Act, effective 2005, which provided that out-of-state transfers of CDLs were subject to certain security measures particularly in regard to transportation of hazardous materials.

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B -- Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous. Note: A bus may be either Class B or Class C depending on whether the GVWR is 26,001 pounds or more.

So I'm reading this to mean that as long as my tow vehicle and trailer combination are not over 26,000 pounds - then no CDL is required, but if the trailer is over 10,000 pounds load rating - then a CDL is required - irregardless of what the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer are.

It seems a bit confusing - because (as an example) my 2003 Chevy Suburban is rated for 12,000 pounds tow with a 8.1L engine. The truck weighs in the 6500-7000 pound range empty. Loaded - it could weigh 9000 or so. Even with that - and a trailer weighing 12,000 pounds behind it, it's still not up at the 26k limit.

Am I correct on that?

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #36  
Sorry to re-open a really old thread - but it seems to make more sense than to start an entirely new one.

I'm a bit confused by some of the wording of the requirements of my state for needing a CDL:

So I'm reading this to mean that as long as my tow vehicle and trailer combination are not over 26,000 pounds - then no CDL is required, but if the trailer is over 10,000 pounds load rating - then a CDL is required - irregardless of what the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer are.

It seems a bit confusing - because (as an example) my 2003 Chevy Suburban is rated for 12,000 pounds tow with a 8.1L engine. The truck weighs in the 6500-7000 pound range empty. Loaded - it could weigh 9000 or so. Even with that - and a trailer weighing 12,000 pounds behind it, it's still not up at the 26k limit.

Am I correct on that?

Class A = Truck and trailer combo with a GVWR (truck) + GVWR (trailer) >26001 lbs when the trailer GVWR >10001 lbs
Class B = Truck GVWR > 26001 lbs or truck GVWR AND trailer <10001 lbs
Class C = ability to haul 16 people or more including driver OR hazmat materials

hope this helps

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #37  

Am I correct on that?

You have found what confuses everybody. The trailer only comes into play if the gvwr of the vehicle or vehicle-trailer combination is over 26,001 pounds.

So your 9,000 pound rated suburban towing a 12,000 pound trailer doesn't exceed 26,001 therefore no CDL required.

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #38  

Am I correct on that?

You'd be fine with your rig. You need to look at your GVWR on your rig and trailer. The CGWR is only coming into play on a trailer at 10k or more GVWR if the combined GVWR of the tow rig and trailer is over 26,001lbs. Example; my 86 F350 has a GVWR of 11,000lbs and my trailer has a GVWR of 13,800lbs giving me a CGWR of 24,800lbs, no CDL. If my truck had a GVWR of 12,500lbs pulling same trailer I'd be at 26,300lbs CGWR, Class A CDL required. Hope that helps

One step further, you could have a truck with a GVWR of 20,000lbs pulling a trailer with a GVWR 9,999lbs and no CDL required.

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #39  

If you're like many (most ?) people who are confused on this matter, probably the first word you might want to clear up is this one:

com•mer•cial/kəˈmərSHəl/
adjective
concerned with or engaged in commerce.

/ Pickups and Legal Trailer Weight Limits #40  
You'd be fine with your rig. You need to look at your GVWR on your rig and trailer. The CGWR is only coming into play on a trailer at 10k or more GVWR if the combined GVWR of the tow rig and trailer is over 26,001lbs. Example; my 86 F350 has a GVWR of 11,000lbs and my trailer has a GVWR of 13,800lbs giving me a CGWR of 24,800lbs, no CDL. If my truck had a GVWR of 12,500lbs pulling same trailer I'd be at 26,300lbs CGWR, Class A CDL required. Hope that helps

One step further, you could have a truck with a GVWR of 20,000lbs pulling a trailer with a GVWR 9,999lbs and no CDL required.

Your example would be 29,999 pounds which is over 26,001 therefore CDL required. But since the trailer is under 10,000 that would make it a class B CDL instead of CDL A.