Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer?

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #1  

HarleyBob

Silver Member
I just purchased an 18 foot flatbed trailer for my Kubota L3010.
What is the proper way to bind the tractor to the trailer? Chains or wide (4") auto straps? I have some load binding devices for chain.
I need to add welded D Rings at the correct points for connecting chains. Where is it best to tie to tractor? I have a loader frame on front.

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #2  
if you can weld, put some chain hooks on the loader bucket, and bind it to the front with them: then if you have the draw bar in the back, bind it there, even if you put a 2 inch trailer ball on the draw bar, that should hold it, in my opinion. the only time i use the straps is hauling my kubota RTV: and then i go straight across the floor board with the strap, and set the park break, but i may start putting a small chain on the rear trailer hitch too, just for peace of mind.
heehaw

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #3  
4 chains and 4 binders. 1 for each corner of the machine. I use the drawbar in the rear and the frame of the tractor in front. I believe using straps is not appropriate, and I believe tying off to the loader or an implement is not a replacement for chaining down the actual tractor.

I use the stake pockets on the trailer and the chains have a hook on each end like logging chains. All 3/8" chains and ratchet binders that only get used for tie down duty.

I tow my tractor 43 miles each way to my remote property and have gotten it down real well now. The attached photo shows my tractor which is about like yours and my 18' trailer. The combo weighs 7000 lbs. It took a while to figure out optimal chain routing and tie down plus positioning on the trailer for the best ride.

Attachments

• 787589-j1.JPG
    787589-j1.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,975
   / Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer?
I do have stake pockets but I may add welded d rings for the chains. I already have chain hooks on the bucket but did not know if they were strong enough to hold. I guess if a welded on d-ring or
welded on stake pocket will hold, the hooks on the loader will hold.
So it sounds like four chains and four binders.

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #5  
Even if not commercial, it is a good practice to know and follow the DOT regs for cargo securement. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs.htm Properly rated nylon straps will work but, you need to be very careful not to cut or abraid them. Therefore, chains are preffered. As Highbeam said, four chains, four binders for each corner are the best way to go.

While I see you are going to use D rings, I thought I would mention to those using stake pockets that DOT does specify how to do it. Chains should not be secured to the rub rail if any nor on the outside of the rub rail or pocket. Chains should be "fed" either down through the pocket and up either side with the hook hanging on the either side. They can also feed down outside the pocket and come up the inside with the hook hanging on either side.

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #6  
HarleyBob, .... Locate your tractor where it feels right (ample tongue weight etc.) and chain from your tractor's frame (front & rear) with
chains on four corners and binders. D-rings are a great way to secure
your load. Stop after about a half hour and check the tightness of chains
and adjust as needed. ... RayBee /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 787637-Trailer tiedown.jpeg.jpg
    787637-Trailer tiedown.jpeg.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,118
   / Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #7  
Here is where the chains terminate. I welded 4 of these after locating
the proper location of the chain from the tractor frame.
Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif RayBee

Attachments

• 787644-Welded tiedown.jpeg.jpg
    787644-Welded tiedown.jpeg.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,523
   / Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer?
From what your are describing in the quote below.. the chains should not be hooked to itself but to the stake pocket? Is a binder used
only in the middle to take up slack or is it to be used as one end and attached to D ring or Stake pocket?

"Chains should be "fed" either down through the pocket and up either side with the hook hanging on the either side. They can also feed down outside the pocket and come up the inside with the hook hanging on either side. )</font>

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #9  
You may want to re-think using straps. A few months back a TBN'er posted where his straps, that were rated way more then his load, broke allowing his tractor to be loose on its trailer. Maybe he will see your post and comment. If not, you may want to do a search before spending money on straps.

/ Proper way to bind tractor onto trailer? #10  
O.K., I found the thread. It is dated 3-20-05 and titled:
Ratcheting tie downs BROKE in transit!

I would try to post a short cut to it but it would probably be too long and mikepa would be on my rear.

chuck