Trailer advice needed

/ Trailer advice needed #1  

npaden

Platinum Member
Tractor
2011 LS U5030C
Okay, I think I have my tractor choice about decided. I'm leaning strongly toward an MX5000 Kubota with a LA-852 loader. Tractor is 3,500lbs, add 1,000lbs for loader, 800lbs for box blade and we are at 5,300lbs.

I'm now trying to decide if I need to get a trailer for it or not. I want a 7' box blade so I would need a car hauler type trailer without rails. With any type of ballast I would be pushing the envelope of a 7,000lb trailer so I am looking at a 20' - 10,000lb trailer. The local kubota dealer will add it to the package deal and finance it for 0% for 3 years so that part would be okay but the trailer is $2,400 no matter how you cut it.

I'm just not sure how much I would use the trailer. I plan on using the tractor on my land, not hauling it around and hiring out any work for others. I would like to be able to help out with other peoples projects if they were friends for free but not I guess I could make them rent a trailer to get the tractor to them.

Also I have a 2005 Z71 crew cab pickup and not sure if it should be pulling a 10,000lb trailer. It has the standard 5,000lb rated hitch and the basic towing package. I wouldn't be pulling it everyday but that still is a load for basically a 1/2 ton pickup.

Just hoping to get some input from folks on whether I need to spring for a trailer or not. Also, whether my truck would handle pulling that size of trailer and load if I did buy it.

Have you found your trailer indispensable or something that is parked and in the way 99.9% of the time?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nathan

/ Trailer advice needed #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( something that is parked and in the way 99.9% of the time? )</font>

Nope, only about 95% of the time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But during that other 5%, it's really handy and useful.

/ Trailer advice needed #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( " Okay, I think I have my tractor choice about decided. I'm leaning strongly toward an MX5000 Kubota with a LA-852 loader. Tractor is 3,500lbs, add 1,000lbs for loader, 800lbs for box blade and we are at 5,300lbs.

I'm now trying to decide if I need to get a trailer for it or not. I want a 7' box blade so I would need a car hauler type trailer without rails. With any type of ballast I would be pushing the envelope of a 7,000lb trailer so I am looking at a 20' - 10,000lb trailer. The local kubota dealer will add it to the package deal and finance it for 0% for 3 years so that part would be okay but the trailer is $2,400 no matter how you cut it.

I'm just not sure how much I would use the trailer. I plan on using the tractor on my land, not hauling it around and hiring out any work for others. I would like to be able to help out with other peoples projects if they were friends for free but not I guess I could make them rent a trailer to get the tractor to them.

Also I have a 2005 Z71 crew cab pickup and not sure if it should be pulling a 10,000lb trailer. It has the standard 5,000lb rated hitch and the basic towing package. I wouldn't be pulling it everyday but that still is a load for basically a 1/2 ton pickup.

Just hoping to get some input from folks on whether I need to spring for a trailer or not. Also, whether my truck would handle pulling that size of trailer and load if I did buy it.

Have you found your trailer indispensable or something that is parked and in the way 99.9% of the time?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nathan ")</font>

Nathan,

My guess would be to bag the trailer and just rent/borrow one when you need it. Heck, you could even drive your tractor to help out a neighbor or friend nearby in a pinch (I do).

The problem with trailers is other than having to spend $2,400 they take up a lot of space. If they're stored too long, the tires dry-rot, the brakes rust and the electrical connections can go bad. They must be registered & inspected annually. Combine that with not having a heavy-enough towing package on your truck and you'll be spending more to upgrade your truck to do the job. A 1/2 tonner is working hard to pull a 10K trailer. More of a job for a 3/4 or 1 tonner. It could be done, but you might want to check your trucks' GCWR to see if the truck plus a 10K trailer doesn't exceed your GCWR. It may also exceed the tongue weight of your truck. TW is usually 10-15% of your trailer weight, in your case 1,000-1,500 lbs.
My buddy has a '94 F-150 4x4 and he tows his little B series 25HP TLB around and it squats more than I thought it would at only ~8,000lbs.

All that being said, I couldn't live without my trailer, but I need one to make a living. If you you think you'll be taking on jobs involving the transporting of your tractor, you might be able to justify one, but if i owned a farm and didn't need to drive it around, I would probably try to get by without one-especially if i had a buddy who could loan me a trailer, rollback, etc..

/ Trailer advice needed #4  
You're looking at another 500 - 600 lbs if you fill the tires plus you might want to carry another implement, so the 10,000 makes a lot more sense.

Sounds like a half ton would be overloaded. People pull trailers that are overloading their trucks every day and "get away with it", but they are on borrowed time IMO.

/ Trailer advice needed #5  
Nathan,
You state you have a Z71 which is a half ton P/U. Your tow capacity depends on many options. 2WD, 4WD, Engine size, Rear end ratio, Crew cab etc.
If its 2WD HD w/ 6000 eng and 3.73 rear tow cap. is 8200lb max trlr weight. 10,200 same eng. w/ 4.10 gears.
Std. crew cab 2WD 3.23 gears tow cap. is 7700.
4x4 w/ 3.42 gears tow cap. is 7400, 8400 w/ 4.10 gears.
Your 05 Silverado owners manual page 4-63 towing section covers your specific tow capacity. In any case you can guess about 2500 for you trailer, and 5300 for tractor, loader, and box blade total = 7800lb so your at the max for your truck. I have no doubt the truck will pull it. At weight dist. hitch should be on your list to buy as well. And $2400 for a 10K trailer is a steal price. I'd go for the trailer too. You could not touch a 10K trailer in my area for that price. My 20' 7K trailer (tilt bed) cost over 3000. Just because you get a 10K trailer doesn't mean you have to load it to the max. The trailer can be registered for less also say for your truck max towing capacity. Trailers always come in handy. If I have friends that need its use, I only ask for some compensation for fuel costs.
Good luck on all your purchases.

George

/ Trailer advice needed #6  
As already mentioned if you have the standard 3.42 axle (GU6) max tow capacity will be approx 7500# and the 4.10 axle (GT5) is approx 8400#, based on a 150# driver and NO additional weight added to the truck. A Weight Distribution is required for all trailers over 5000#.

If you do not have the sticker you can find which axle ratio by looking for either GU6 or GT5 on the sticker in the glove box.

You will be at max capibility with the 3.42. A gooseneck or 5th trailer is not an option with the bed on the crew cab.

Kurt

/ Trailer advice needed #7  
If not used often, your truck would work okay. I would not tow in OD though. If the trailer has breaks on both axles it will be alot better. I don't have a business or make a living with my trailers. I have three and use all of them pretty often. JC

/ Trailer advice needed #8  
I'm another one that would vote for skipping the purchase of a trailer and just rent one when you need it. I've had my tractor about five years. I borrowed a trailer to haul it from New Hampshire to Maine. Since then, I have never had a need to haul it anywhere. I do all the routine maintenance and it's never been to a shop. I'd use the money for more attachments and reserve a little for trailer rental.

/ Trailer advice needed #9  
A trailer is like a shirt pocket. It's not something you HAVE to have, but it sure is handy at times.

Like a pick up truck, once you've got a trailer, you'll find a lot of uses, and will have a tough time living without one.

Makes for a good way to have that annual fall hay ride too!

/ Trailer advice needed #10  
I thought long and hard about the question - do I need a trailer - and arrived at the conclusion -No. My dealer lets me use his to bring in for service, etc. If I need a trailer for anything else - I will borrow one from a local landscaper (good friend) or rent. Good luck on your decision.