Need practical advice: trailer to haul Kioti

/ Need practical advice: trailer to haul Kioti #21  
I'd just like to say that it is not a good idea or advisable at all to exceed the towing ratings of your vehicle. You not only endanger yourself, your equipment, but all others on the road. Opinions are like, you know what, but my opinion is that it is not something I would consider. Good luck. Be sure to consider the consequences of your actions if things go wrong. Could you live with them? It's your choice.

/ Need practical advice: trailer to haul Kioti #22  
Well now you're getting closer. The RPO code in your glovebox (one code of about 50) can get you the diff ratio. I can look it up if you want. I'll need the year of truck.

Still, you're getting close. The tow rating is based on the GCWR which is arguably a performance rating. You ought to call GM with your VIN# to get the GCWR and write it on the door jamb sticker. The GCWR is not about brakes, or frame strength since the trailer has brakes and the frame is the same as the V8 version. Some things like the radiator capacity are linked to the GCWR so you'll need to watch your gauges and this is where a trans temp gauge makes a lot of sense.

Drop the loader, buy a 7000 lb GVWR trailer with brakes on both axles that weighs less than 2000 lbs, Get all the junk out of your truck except the spare tire, and the combination might be within the GCWR. How much of the GCWR is on the trailer isn't really an issue. I'm thinking you can get the tractor and trailer together at 5000 lbs since the loader weighs more than 1000 lbs and you claimed 4000 lbs for the tractor w/FEL.

At least figure out the diff ratio and the GCWR so we can really nail this thing down. The 4.3 V6 is not a slouch and the drivetrain downstream is the same as the V8.

Are you sure the DK will weigh 4000 with the FEL?

/ Need practical advice: trailer to haul Kioti #23  
Here it is for my 98 GM. I have the G80 eaton LOCKing diff and love it. Lot's of 4.3s got the 3.42 ratio since it is a mpg gearset.

GT4 Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio
GT5 Rear Axle: 4.10 Ratio
GU4 Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio
GU6 Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio
G80 Rear Axle: Locking rear diff
HC4 Rear Axle: 4.56 Ratio
HC7 Rear Axle: 5.13 Ratio

/ Need practical advice: trailer to haul Kioti #24  
Here they are for 2005. I didn't check to see that they are the same or not. If they are, then it is pretty safe to assume the years in the middle are the same too.

G80 Differential, locking, heavy-duty, rear
G86 Differential, limited slip, heavy-duty, rear
GT4 Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
GT5 Rear axle, 4.10 ratio
GU5 Rear axle, 3.23 ratio
GU6 Rear axle, 3.42 ratio

/ Need practical advice: trailer to haul Kioti
Highbeam... my truck is a 2002 and the glovebox sticker includes the code "GU6", which means it has the 3.42 axle, which in turn means I have 5,100 lbs of towing capacity. Thanks for posting those codes, I was not having any luck figuring out how to tell which differential I had /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since the towing capacities change for transmission, engine and axle, I have to assume they are mostly related to drive train issues - i.e. a V8 is said to be able to tow 6,500 to 7,500 lbs and I am pretty dang sure that there are no changes to the frame, brakes, etc in a V8 model compared to the V6.

Truth is, I don't know exactly what the FEL weighs, I'm going to look into that. But with 5,100 lbs I'm thinking I'll be within 10% of the rating and I'm comforable with that!