dump trailer hitch

/ dump trailer hitch #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
I always come here for the questions that I need answers to. So I come back again. I have seen these dump trailers. Some can carry 1500 to 10000 pounds. Since I have never used one, I would like to know if these dump trailers can handle being run over rough ground (a field). Do you need a special hitch on the tractor to allow it to be attached? Do you need a special hitch that will allow the dump trailer to be run over "rough" ground? Most hitches look like they will not tolerate being hooked up to a dump trailer carrying 5 tons of soil over anything but a smooth road?

What I would like to do with this setup is move dirt. Load the dump trailer with soil, hook it up and then pull it to a site 600 feet away and dump it, then repeat the process. Is this the best way to move the soil? Would unhooking and hooking up a dump trailer work?

My apologies to lack of clarity in my question. I count on your collective wisdom and experience.
Bob

/ dump trailer hitch #2  
The dump trailers made for tractors work great for off road. The ones designed for your trucks do not work as well as the wires hang low and the tires are too narrow. The hitch will work fine the way it is designed unless you have seen one that is completely different then what I have seen.

The only problem I think you will have is that you will get tired of hooking and un-hooking that trailer. Also, it is not as safe to load the trailer while it is unhooked as it is more stress on the jack and more likely for it to fall. Ideally you buy a second used tractor and keep it hooked up as a second tractor is very handy and you can always sell it when you are done.