Tractor
    Jinma 354, Ford 1953 NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer

Default Dump Trailer Angle

I am in the process of building my very own dump trailer. Of cource this was inspired by all here on TBN who have taken the time to post their dump trailer projects.

My question is - at about what angle would you or did you use? and was it sufficient for complete dumping?

I am at a point where I can set the cylinders to get just about any angle up to about 90* (straight up & down). However, I don't know if this is wise or not. I would rather make the angle just enough for a reliable complete dump. Just in case it matters, I will be using it primarly for moving dirt around the property so I want all of it to dump out without farting around with a shovel to clean it out. It will be ~ 4' x 8' and hold about 2 yards ~ two tons.

Here is a picture of what I have so far. I will post more details after the project is complete so that the post does not linger on & on. As this is not an urgent project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Fortune cookies:
    If you have to ask if you can do something, you probably can't.
    Life is short, especially if you forget to wake up the next day.
    He who hurries wastes time.
    If you must select between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried before.
    Tractor hydraulics is not rocket science.

Tractor
    Kubota M95s, Allis Chalmers 185 & D17 series IV, Kubota ZG-23 Mower, Kawasaki Mule 610

Default Re: Dump Trailer Angle

You only need enough angle to get the material to slide out of the bed. The dump trucks that I've have had go up to between 45 and 50 degrees. If the dump bed raises to high it can make the vehicle/trailer very unstable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader

The angle of repose for loose granular material is about 30* so you need to exceed that to be sure the bed empties. If it were me I would work toward a 45* dump angle.

Vernon
    Kubota L3130HST, BL4690B backhoe, LA723 Loader w/QA, 6' BB, 6' Bush Hog, 5' RB, PHD, ATI grapple, Hy-Reach Tree Shear, toothbar, pallet forks, grubbin bucket.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti LK2554

I have a trailer about the size of what you're building. I have it boxed in and use it with my leaf vacuum. In order for me to dump a load of packed in leaves, I raise it to its max. which I would estimate to be 70 deg or so. Less than that and it won't empty completely. I would suggest that you try and get as much dump angle as you can. You can always just dump it until it works.

I bought the trailer from northern tool.
    Bob
    Kioti LK2554

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030

Id probably set it at a max of 60 degrees up angle. After all..that doesnt mean you HAVE TO go up that far each time..only that its CAPABLE of going up that far.
    Kubota B3030 with 40 amp alternator kit; LA403 FEL; 60 inch backblade; sub-soiler; ballast box; EzMover hitch; Payne clamp-on bucket forks; a HD set of smaller discs and a 60" landscape rake with dolly wheels
    Hobart HH210 Mig welder

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

Mine dumps damp clay at up to 45 degrees. Its a steel bed but not particuliarily smooth. (On a 12 ft trailer, 45 degrees LOOKS to be about 60 degrees.)

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830

I have been using a professionally built dump trailer (borrowed) to haul horse manure and that thing goes way up, to what seems like about 80 degrees. I have not seen any real stability issues with it. It is connected to the truck when dumping. It's not like I'm riding down the road with it like that. Once I get the manure started sliding I usually have to pull the whole deal forward anyway, so the manure has some place to fall. When I was unable to get it all the way up to the top of its travel, due to low pump battery, I had to pull forward and back up, slamming on the brakes, to get the load to move, even though thebead is smooth. Considering this, I'd go for as much angle, up to 90, as you can get. As someone else said, if you end up not needing to go that high you don't have to.

Chris
    99 Ram 2500 4x4, QC, CTTD, with an obscene amount of TORQUE. Best 1/4 ET 12.86
    L3830 GST, LA723 FEL, 4in1 bucket, BH90 back hoe.

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

As mentioned, you don't have to limit the angle to a certain point, but take it from someone who has turned a dump truck on it's side. It isn't any fun, doesn't do the truck frame a bit of good, and to have to hand shovel all of that dirt out while it is laying on it's side also isn't any fun.
    Be careful, especially on slightly uneven ground.
    David from jax

Quote Originally Posted by GuglioLS
    I am at a point where I can set the cylinders to get just about any angle up to about 90* (straight up & down). However, I don't know if this is wise or not. I would rather make the angle just enough for a reliable complete dump. Just in case it matters, I will be using it primarly for moving dirt around the property so I want all of it to dump out without farting around with a shovel to clean it out. It will be ~ 4' x 8' and hold about 2 yards ~ two tons.
    Hey Guglio,

Looks to me like your cylinder will stall with a heavy load. What diameter is it? I think you should use a bigger diameter or two cylinders. It's no fun when your dump won't dump.

I have two homemade dump trailers that haul 3-4 yards of dirt each. One of them has a 7x10 bed with two 2.5" diameter by 14" cylinders and it will stall if the load is too far to the front. The other wagon has an 8x8 bed with one 4" diameter by 24" cylinder and it never stalls.

Go for a steep dump angle with lots of lifting capacity at the initial lift. The geometry is everything.
    gabby
    Salad ain't food. Eat beef!