Dump Trailer Angle

/ Dump Trailer Angle #1  

GuglioLS

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer
I am in the process of building my very own dump trailer. Of cource this was inspired by all here on TBN who have taken the time to post their dump trailer projects.

My question is - at about what angle would you or did you use? and was it sufficient for complete dumping?

I am at a point where I can set the cylinders to get just about any angle up to about 90* (straight up & down). However, I don't know if this is wise or not. I would rather make the angle just enough for a reliable complete dump. Just in case it matters, I will be using it primarly for moving dirt around the property so I want all of it to dump out without farting around with a shovel to clean it out. It will be ~ 4' x 8' and hold about 2 yards ~ two tons.

Here is a picture of what I have so far. I will post more details after the project is complete so that the post does not linger on & on. As this is not an urgent project.

Attachments

• Cylinder Test.jpg
    Cylinder Test.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,500
   / Dump Trailer Angle #2  
You only need enough angle to get the material to slide out of the bed. The dump trucks that I've have had go up to between 45 and 50 degrees. If the dump bed raises to high it can make the vehicle/trailer very unstable.

Attachments

• 71 Truckwbed 001.jpg
    71 Truckwbed 001.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,651
   / Dump Trailer Angle #3  
The angle of repose for loose granular material is about 30* so you need to exceed that to be sure the bed empties. If it were me I would work toward a 45* dump angle.

Vernon

/ Dump Trailer Angle #4  
I have a trailer about the size of what you're building. I have it boxed in and use it with my leaf vacuum. In order for me to dump a load of packed in leaves, I raise it to its max. which I would estimate to be 70 deg or so. Less than that and it won't empty completely. I would suggest that you try and get as much dump angle as you can. You can always just dump it until it works.

I bought the trailer from northern tool.

/ Dump Trailer Angle #5  
Id probably set it at a max of 60 degrees up angle. After all..that doesnt mean you HAVE TO go up that far each time..only that its CAPABLE of going up that far.

/ Dump Trailer Angle #6  
Mine dumps damp clay at up to 45 degrees. Its a steel bed but not particuliarily smooth. (On a 12 ft trailer, 45 degrees LOOKS to be about 60 degrees.)

/ Dump Trailer Angle #7  
I have been using a professionally built dump trailer (borrowed) to haul horse manure and that thing goes way up, to what seems like about 80 degrees. I have not seen any real stability issues with it. It is connected to the truck when dumping. It's not like I'm riding down the road with it like that. Once I get the manure started sliding I usually have to pull the whole deal forward anyway, so the manure has some place to fall. When I was unable to get it all the way up to the top of its travel, due to low pump battery, I had to pull forward and back up, slamming on the brakes, to get the load to move, even though thebead is smooth. Considering this, I'd go for as much angle, up to 90, as you can get. As someone else said, if you end up not needing to go that high you don't have to.

Chris

/ Dump Trailer Angle #8  
As mentioned, you don't have to limit the angle to a certain point, but take it from someone who has turned a dump truck on it's side. It isn't any fun, doesn't do the truck frame a bit of good, and to have to hand shovel all of that dirt out while it is laying on it's side also isn't any fun.
Be careful, especially on slightly uneven ground.
David from jax

/ Dump Trailer Angle #9  
GuglioLS said:
I am at a point where I can set the cylinders to get just about any angle up to about 90* (straight up & down). However, I don't know if this is wise or not. I would rather make the angle just enough for a reliable complete dump. Just in case it matters, I will be using it primarly for moving dirt around the property so I want all of it to dump out without farting around with a shovel to clean it out. It will be ~ 4' x 8' and hold about 2 yards ~ two tons.

Hey Guglio,

Looks to me like your cylinder will stall with a heavy load. What diameter is it? I think you should use a bigger diameter or two cylinders. It's no fun when your dump won't dump.

I have two homemade dump trailers that haul 3-4 yards of dirt each. One of them has a 7x10 bed with two 2.5" diameter by 14" cylinders and it will stall if the load is too far to the front. The other wagon has an 8x8 bed with one 4" diameter by 24" cylinder and it never stalls.

Go for a steep dump angle with lots of lifting capacity at the initial lift. The geometry is everything.
gabby