Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT

/ Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT #1  

SacandagaBrad

Gold Member
Tractor
TC24D
Anyone have any experience hauling and dumping loads out of box trailers using their CUTs? I have a TC-24D (about 2700 lbs with the FEL on and rear turfs loaded) and can borrow a 10,000 lb tandem box trailer with electric dump. I need to move about 50 tons of dirt down to the neighbors property over our flat private road. I have the Bad River hitch with chain to make a rigid connection with the 3PH, but wonder if the load would try to lift the rear end of the tractor during the dump.

I'm thinking of keeping the loads to about half, 2 or 3 ton, pick up a bucket full for front ballast, back up to the loaded trailer and raise the ball to connect. Move on down the road in 4WD, set the bucket down to raise the front wheels slightly for stability, and dump. That way if it did try to lift the rear, it would have to lift the entire tractor, not just pivot on the front wheels. The trailer is a tandem and it looks like the wheels are back far enough that the front of the trailer shouldn't lift, but I'm moving clayey soil that could stick until the dump angle is steep. Will also need to rig a line to the switch as a remote control for dumping as it is on the tongue of the trailer and the last place I want to be during the dump is between the tractor and the trailer.

I think it will work fine, but just wanted to check. Things can and do go wrong in a fast hurry!

Thanks for any feedback - Brad

/ Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT #2  
ScandagaBrad,

DON'T use the 3pt for this operation. There is no mechanism in the 3pt to keep the arms down and the trailer tongue could flop up and do you some damage. PLEASE use the draw bar. It's there to tow heavy loads, is mounted under the axle centerline so the tractor is less likely to flip over and crush you and it can't raise up.

Have you looked up the max trailer load you can pull? I did just now for my Kubota L3410 and it's 4400 pounds. At a guess your tractor is going to be about the same.

On your question about dumping. I think you are on the right track. Start with smaller loads and slowly increase until you feel the back of the tractor get light. You "shouldn't" have a problem.

jb

/ Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT #3  
Also be careful about the amount of tongue weight that you load on the drawbar. They are designed for tension or pulling not to carry a heavy verticle load.

I also assume that the dump trailer is hydraulic, battery powered? If it is: it is usually charged through the trailer connection on the tow vehicle. If you do not have a 12v source that is keeping the battery charged you will only dump a few times and the battery will be dead.

/ Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT #4  
What about brakes on the trailer ? I just hate getting pushed down a hill.
Ben

/ Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT
john_bud said:
ScandagaBrad,

There is no mechanism in the 3pt to keep the arms down and the trailer tongue could flop up and do you some damage.

jb

That's why I mentioned the Bad River hitch. It is a receiver style hitch mounted to the 3PH via a horizontal draw bar. There is a chain that is adjustable that you connect to the main drawbar hitch on the tractor and snug up tight by lifting the 3PH, making it a rigid set up that can not raise the 3PH without taking the whole tractor with it. It has been a great setup, never had a problem with launching boats, etc. I always keep it low for pulling.

http://www.badriverinc.com/prod02.htm

GeneD14 said:
If you do not have a 12v source that is keeping the battery charged you will only dump a few times and the battery will be dead.

Yeah, I'm kind of figuring that. I have time, will probably dump as many loads as possible, bring it back to the garage for a charge while I go back to level things out.

/ Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT #8  
I did that exact thing with my 10k dumper/Ford 1920 tractor, which probably weighed about 3500lb w/fel. I hauled about 50 full loads of clay for fill on the polebarn site. BTW, your 3 ton "half load" would be almost a full load on mine because the 10k is GROSS and the empty trailer weighs 3300lb. In any event, the full loads dumping were never unstable and there was no need to put the fel on the ground. You could see the strain on the hitch and you're right about not standing there. If someone would tell me how to attach a picture with this new site format, I could show why the weight transfer is not too bad.

I don't recall any spec in the Ford 1920 manual about max trailer towing weight but that loaded trailer was quite a bit bigger than my current (and larger) tractor's spec. It doesn't seem like there would be any more stress on the drivetrain than other tractor operations are likely to cause. There was no damage to the drawbar or attachment. Maybe the caution is to guard against the trailer driving the tractor, which was not a factor on this slow and flat project. The trailer pulled without effort.

After about 5 dumps without recharge, the battery's charge indicator read half charge. After loading, moving, dumping, disconnecting the tractor, spreadng, reconnection the tractor, and returning to the dirt pile 5 or 6 times, my energy level was always less than the battery's.

John

/ Using 10,000 lb dump trailer with smaller CUT #9  
SacandagaBrad said:
That's why I mentioned the Bad River hitch. It is a receiver style hitch mounted to the 3PH via a horizontal draw bar. There is a chain that is adjustable that you connect to the main drawbar hitch on the tractor and snug up tight by lifting the 3PH, making it a rigid set up that can not raise the 3PH without taking the whole tractor with it. It has been a great setup, never had a problem with launching boats, etc. I always keep it low for pulling.

http://www.badriverinc.com/prod02.htm

Brad,

Thanks for the link. I was thinking of the ones that just hook to the 3pt and aren't locked down with chain. I still think putting a ball on the drawbar is the best, but the bad river deal looks good too.

If the dump is electric, why not just run a quick connect from the battery to the trailer? Shouldn't take much to do that.

jb

Ran a few loads tonight. Misjudged the weight on the first load, shoved me around a little bit but no real problems. Initially traveled with a full load in the FEL just to add weight, but it took too much off the rear tires. Took less on the next few loads and worked like a charm. Its mostly wet silty clay, very heavy. Dumping is very solid, no problems with the front lifting etc. It has a long remote control, so I can stay clear. Battery life is good, only have enough time for a few trips each night, so I'll just put the charger on over night and be ready for the next day. Guessing I'm moving about 2 to 3 tons per trip spread evenly in the bed of the trailer to give me proper tongue weight.