Dump bed Pick Ups

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #21  
LBrown59 said:
Even a little Toyota or Nissan would be nice.

Or a Dodge D-50 ?

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #22  
Well it is nice to know that I am not agreed with. I do think that my arguement does make sense. I have hauled rock, sand etc in my F350 and noticed that when the operator tries to be gentle with the loader and load it slow you still have the loader at least a foot or two above the bed. If the loader tilts the bucket just a fraction too much and the material comes out in a bit of a rush when it hits my truck you see the truck squat down from the sudden weight. My F350 with overload springs can take it. I would hate to see a 1/2 ton pickup subjected to that. I will be the first to admit most times you will not see anything happen. But for those few times that it does there is always someone that will blame the loader and want to sue. Plus there is always the freedom to refuse service. If the owner does not want to load 1/2 ton trucks I think they should have the right to refuse. If you are going to just need material once or twice. paying for hauling it is probably more cost effective. If you need to haul it often then a trailer has several advantages not to mention the wear and tear on the bed of your truck when you load it.

I also agree with another poster about mechanical failure of the vehicle. I got carred away one time with my F350 and a trailer and put way too much weight on it. The trailer did not have trailer brakes on it. I went to hit my brakes when a deer ran out in front of me and one minute it was slowing down and the next my brake pedal had went to the floor. I blew the master cylinder out of my F350 and it had a heavy duty breaking system.

I also want to warn everyone that is looking into buying a dump truck they might want to check insurance on it. I bid on a f450 dump truck at an auction but did not get it, this was a 1970 model and I was just going to use it to drive to the local rock quarry nine miles from my house on a county road. I asked my insurance agent about liability and was told that for liability only it would be $1250.00 a year. That was their minimum liability payment on dump trucks. to give some perspective on how high that is for my area. My 2005 porsche with 350,000 500,000 350,000 liability and full coverage runs me $1200.00 a year. I can have a lot of loads deliverd for what the insurance would run me.

LBrown59 said:

I sorta can't find myself agreeing with a 1 & 2.
1* I sure can blame them for hiring an operator that can't operate the equipment.
2*Why hire a big dump truck to deliver several tons of something you only need 1000 to 3000 pounds of?
Why pay for 5 to 10 tons of something that you only need .5 to 1.5 tons of?
The solution is hire operators that know how to operate the equipment at the loading site.

I see pick ups all the time hauling full loads of sand gravel dirt slag etc so why not at least be able to unload the dang thing without having to shovel it all off.
Considering this point your argument makes no sense at all.

>>> >>>
>>>> >>>>

Last edited:
   / Dump bed Pick Ups #23  
A big part of why they will not load pickup's at quarrys is they are using like a 966,980 or 988,etc. those wheel loaders have a 7-8 yard bucket and 8'6" to 12' feet wide a long box pick up is 8' tops so just go to a retail yard to buy your gravel where they load you with a skid steer,tractor,small loader,tlb,etc.

minimax

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #25  
gemini5362 said:
I also want to warn everyone that is looking into buying a dump truck they might want to check insurance on it. I bid on a f450 dump truck at an auction but did not get it, this was a 1970 model and I was just going to use it to drive to the local rock quarry nine miles from my house on a county road. I asked my insurance agent about liability and was told that for liability only it would be $1250.00 a year. That was their minimum liability payment on dump trucks. to give some perspective on how high that is for my area. My 2005 porsche with 350,000 500,000 350,000 liability and full coverage runs me $1200.00 a year. I can have a lot of loads deliverd for what the insurance would run me.

That is the only reason I sold my old dump truck. I had an old '67 single axle dump truck with a grain bed on it that only had about 27k miles on it. The farmer basically only drove it to the market at harvest time. It had a gas 327 Chevy in it and it ran like a champ. I had to watch to not overload the bed with gravel or dirt, since the grain bed was so much larger, but the truck was incredible for the $1200 I paid for it. I ran it into the ground when I was building my lake. I had a wad of sticky clay stick in the bed and it picked the front wheels about 7' off the ground when I went to dump the load and it stuck in the bed. :eek: Since I didn't want to drive the excavator the 300 yards or so to the truck, I drove the old dump most of the way over to the excavator; dragging the bed and looking out the bottom of my open driver's side door to see where I was going. No, I didn't have any steering. When I took a scoop out of the bed with the excavator the truck dropped to the ground so hard it blew out both front tires, but hurt nothing else.

Anyway, I kept that old truck for almost 5 years and chanced it a few times fetching gravel etc. when I didn't have any insurance. In the end, it was just going to be too expensive to insure for liability only for me to keep. I had guys fighting over it for the 2k I said I'd take for it when I was all finished with it. I still almost wish I had it around, but that insurance deal is just something it isn't wise to do without, and it was too expensive to buy considering that I really didn't need the truck.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #26  
My insurance guy advised me to get a dump trailer if i needed something to dump with. He said I can put the trailer on my insurance policy with my truck for maybe 100.00 a year. From looking at ebay it seems like I might be able to get a small dump trailer that would meet my needs for 3000 to 4000 dollars.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #27  
LBrown59 said:
I'd even take a Madza

What's a Madza? :confused:

Is it similar to a Monza? :confused: :confused: :confused:
250px-Monza.jpg

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #28  
That isn't the original Monza