trailor floor metal or wood?

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #1  

dirt clod

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3300, m5700, case 580se
My trailor flooring is rusting out its a 16 foot dove tail with sheetmetal deck.
I'm thinking about going back over it with wood becouse it would be much cheaper. there is 20" spaceing between the floor supports would 2x lumber be strong enough for this my tractor [l3300] should weigh less than 4k pounds I would think. most of these trailors i see are made with metal decks is there any reason this is better?

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #2  
I dont really have a good answer for you, experience wise.. But, since the replies are slow coming I'll give you my thoughts:rolleyes: .. I have a 16' utility trailer that I bought as a package with my little Yanmar.. It has 2x10s for a deck and I have put the wifes Aerostar van on it.. I wouldnt hesitate to put anything the springs could hold on the trailer.. The wood is the least of my worries.. I would venture to say that when you compare the cost of pressure treated wood to the steal, you'll be really close if not cheaper with metal though.. So, my opinion would likely be to reskin it in steal rather than bother with the wood.. But the wood will definitly handle the weight, IMO... Good luck, curious what the others say myself...

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #3  
I have both steel and wood decks in various trailers. Wood is nice in that you can nail down chocks and what-not. Steel is pretty low maintenance and seems easier to slide stuff around on (like bales of hay or loading out old junk cars). I like steel on my welding trailer since it is convenient to tack stuff down to for a 3rd hand. I think the steel will last a bit longer than wood. I also haven't compared weight savings between wood and steel.
So, are you really confused now?

/ trailor floor metal or wood?
Thanks for the replies it seems like there's no big differance either way other than cost. wood should'nt run more than $100 one peice of 4x8 steel is about $200 I was told.

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #5  
I have a Bri-Mar 18 ft with wood deck.. I've pulled steel deck trailers numerous times when working the local highway dpt... Always seemed to rain when I had to use the steel deck trailers.... I would take wood any day over the steel, Wood is slippery also, when wet,,., Nothing like steel when you're loading an excavator or loader in the rain....

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #6  
I prefer wood trailer floors simply due to ease of replacement.

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #7  
dirt clod said:
My trailor flooring is rusting out its a 16 foot dove tail with sheetmetal deck.
I'm thinking about going back over it with wood becouse it would be much cheaper. there is 20" spaceing between the floor supports would 2x lumber be strong enough for this my tractor [l3300] should weigh less than 4k pounds I would think. most of these trailors i see are made with metal decks is there any reason this is better?

If you can find it anywhere, I like rough sawn lumber for trailer decks. Just a bit more non-skid than smooth lumber. I had ONE trailer with an iron deck. Never again. Too slick when wet or muddy.

Another advantage to wood. I move equipment as much as I move my tractors. With a wood deck, you can nail down cribbing so that it stays under the load.

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #8  
I think you will find that metal decking requires more "floor joists" since the span needs to be shorter for sheet metal than for 2 x ? lumber.

On frosty mornings, my steel deck on a dump trailer was like a skating rink. I used to back it up facing the sun for awhile before loading it.

Once I had to unload it on a steep incline when it was lightly snowing. The tractor started sliding down the inclined trailer toward the back. It finally stopped with the rear wheels just inches from dropping over the edge. It still hurts to thiink about.

But its a dump trailer and usually the steel works in my favor. My next trailer will be a wood decked tilt trailer, if there is such a thing.

John

/ trailor floor metal or wood? #9  
jmc said:
My next trailer will be a wood decked tilt trailer, if there is such a thing.

John

I saw several wood decked tilt trailers when I was trailer shopping.

/ trailor floor metal or wood?
Thanks for the replies guys. the metal does get pretty slick when its had oil on it. wood it is then.