another weight distribution ??

/ another weight distribution ?? #1  

crankin

Tractor
kioti dk45s
was reading all the feedback from the other post and had a few ??? .I have a reese class v hitch on a 1997f 250 7.3d , does this w/d hitch slide into the my existing receiver or is it a whole different animal . also while i have this wealth of free info would anyone know if one of those 7x14 dump trailers would be able to hook up to it i need to move some dirt and fill on my property and it seems like i could be much more productive than driving it in my fel thanks guys

/ another weight distribution ?? #2  
Crankin,
The weight distribution system is a different animal in that you need to get a weight distribution receiver. You can keep the Reese hitch you have on the truck. Get the receiver and mount the ball to it, then you can slide it onto the truck hitch. Mount the bars to the receiver and then to the trailer. Very easy to do.:)

Weight distribution should work on any trailer unless the trailer frame has something mounted in the way of the weight distribution hardware. It should be used for any load over 5000#. I believe some states require it for even less weight than that, but I could be wrong about this. Check your states DMV for more info.

I hope this answers your questions.;)

/ another weight distribution ?? #3  
Your typical frame mounted receiver on your f250 is completely compatible with a standard WD hitch setup. Many bumpers are rated as V5 but you can't use the bumper ball mount for a WD hitch, you need the square receiver hole. A fancy WD hitch slides into the hole in your receiver. The fancy hitch is where the bars and ball mount. You can use the fancy WD hitch head without the WD bars if you don't want or need WD for some reason.

It is not a completely different animal. There is no special weight distribution receiver, just your typical class 3 or 4 receiver. Not sure what Marine1 is talking about but I think he is meaning that you can't use a naked bumper ball for WD.

It is often much quicker to load a dump trailer with dirt and then haul the dump trailer to dump than it is to haul bucket load after bucket load to the dump location. I find it is boring to do the long hauls with buckets.

/ another weight distribution ?? #4  
The thing that makes a WD hitch work is the spring bar setup. These connect to the hitch itself and also to the frame rails of the trailer and should pretty much fit any trailer.

The easy way to connect the springs is to find a level spot and drop the hitch onto the ball and lock it. Then crank up the tongue jack as much as possible. This takes the load off the spring bars. Hook up the spring bars and crank down the tongue jack and see how it sits. While it may sit level empty, it may need to be adjusted with a load.

WD hitches work great, but if used off road on your property they make creak and groan a little if the ground is real uneven. In my experience that's normal.

/ another weight distribution ??
thanks for the info , my truck has the class 5 hitch with the sq. receiver , the goose neck 2 1/4 ' ball slides out , i use it for a small utility job site trailer,
but just looking at it , it dont seem like it would handle a 10,000 lb trailer . Does anyone know what style of hitches are on those dump style trailers ,theres an auction on sat and it might be worth grabbing its only a year old Thanks again you could'nt put a price on all the info

/ another weight distribution ?? #6  
I have seen dump trailers with 2 5/16 hitches and pintle hitches. I've read that the pintle is alot safer on this type of trailer, something about the ball type is not rated very good for a vertical load. JC

/ another weight distribution ?? #7  
Marine1 said:
Weight distribution should work on any trailer unless the trailer frame has something mounted in the way of the weight distribution hardware.
All true.

But one more point that everyone should be aware of before installing a WD hitch.

NOT ALL VEHICLES SHOULD USE A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH!!!

Many vehicles specifically recommend AGAINST using them. Check your owners manual and don't blame the guys who install the hitch for ruining your truck if you didn't do your homework. WD hitch systems put stress on different parts of your truck than a regular hitch and after a couple years of use you can have your truck break apart in some very unexpected places.

/ another weight distribution ?? #8  
One thing you might want to do is to take the truck and hitch to either a hitch installer or a trailer dealer and have them check it out. Factory installed hitches should be OK for their weight rating, but if you bought the truck used, you may not know how well the hitch receiver is connected to the truck. Years ago I'd seen several pickup trucks with hitch receivers just attached to the step bumper and not the trailer frame.

For peace of mind it may be worth getting a professional installer to look at it.

Good luck

Joe

/ another weight distribution ?? #9  
RollTideRam said:
I have seen dump trailers with 2 5/16 hitches and pintle hitches. I've read that the pintle is alot safer on this type of trailer, something about the ball type is not rated very good for a vertical load. JC

When I had a couple of dump trucks and a dozer, the main reason for the pintle was that if for some reason when loading the dozer I created a huge amount of negative tongue weight, it wouldn't pull off of the ball. That is my basic understanding of their purpose. Otherwise, they really clank around and I don't care for them for all around pulling. In stop and go traffic, you constantly have the hitch banging about.

/ another weight distribution ?? #10  
Dargo I hear you on that one. start= trailer banging back on ring. stop =trailer slamming into ring. Now if they could only come out with a cushioned pintle that did not rob all the ease of a pintles hooking up I would be all for it.
but we cant have everything. (where do you mount a pintle on a scooter?)