Need New Truck e85?

/ Need New Truck e85? #1  

rcrcomputing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30
I need a new truck. I dont think I want "loud" diesel.
I want gas economy.
I guess e85 capable is a good thing.

Sooo, I guess I could put a hitch on my 12 foot flatbed dually for when I want to haul the tractor. Though that sounds like a bear to manuvar around... And of course, its only got a 350 engine.

Soo,, a smaller pickup with a crew cab? They dont seem to get much better gas milliage.

I just flat can not make up my mind what to buy...

ANY input would be appreciated...

/ Need New Truck e85? #3  
If you are looking for gas economy, then you had better give a long look at e85. You do NOT get a gain in gas economy. I have been using e85 in my flex fuel vehicle since last February and find that you are actually paying about the same for fuel.

I just filled up with e85 for $2.42 and the Shell station down the road from us just raised price of regular gas to $3.17. Last week I was in Ames, Iowa and paid $2.59 for e85.

Although the cost is less for e85, I get a significant decrease in mileage. With regular gas, I can get about 22 mpg, but doing the same driving with e85, I get about 19. Going with my situation, my cost per mile for gas is 14 cents / mile for regular gas at $3.17 / gallon vs. 12 cents / gallon for e85 at $2.42. My feelings are go wiht a flex enging and you have the options if you wish to exercise them.

Sorry to have rambled with this post, but there is a lot to think about when you actually use e85. Perhaps the most important part of it is who you are supporting. American farmers are the ones growing the corn that helps to make e85.

/ Need New Truck e85? #4  
I wouldn't rule out a diesel truck just yet. The big three have made significant improvements in quieting down the diesel noise. I checked all three before finding GM the quietest. Most people don't know its a diesel until they are right on top of it.

I traded in my gas truck in Jan. 05 for a quiet Chevy 2500HD Duramax diesel EC/SB 4x4. My 02 gas Chevy 1500 EC/SB 4x4 only averaged 15.5 MPG empty and 8-9 MPG towing 6500# (tractor w/ loader & attachments on trailer). The first 18 months I averaged 18 MPG empty and 14 MPG towing w/ the diesel. two weeks ago I added a larger exhaust system and a programmer and have averaged 21-22 MPG empty. I haven't towed with it yet but expect I'll see about 15-16 MPG towing.

I thought about an E85 truck but fueling stations are far and few between around here and wouldn't have seen any mileage improvement over the gas truck.

/ Need New Truck e85?
As for diesel, I do alot of starting/stoping. No long trips hardly at all. So I figured gas would be best.

I've about narrowed it down to a f-150 or a Nissan Titan.
4x4 supercab (4-doors) short bed.
The f-150 says towing of 9500lbs. I hardly EVER tow my tractor. I I reckon this will do... It is about 4300lbs with the backhoe as I recall. So Trailor and tractor should be under 7000lbs..

Any comments on the Titan vs f-150?

/ Need New Truck e85?
Opps, I almost forgot,
Besides the towing package
auto trans
Ethanol capapable engine
5.4 liter
Electric windows and seats
Cloth seats (I hate leather)
Power sliding rear window
Cruise control
Dark interior (would probably show less dirt)

Is there anything else you guys would recommend?
Remember, this is a all-around use truck. Though I MIGHT pull my tractor... someday...

/ Need New Truck e85? #7  
I have a ’05 f150, fx4, 5.4, short bed, stepside, regular cab. I really like it but the engine is underpowered and doesn’t get any mileage (the thing is really heavy). I have added an airaid intake, flowmaster exhaust and hypertec reprogramming which has greatly improved performance but still only can manage 14mpg on good days. I don’t put many miles on it (has under 20,000). It rides/drives really well and hauls really well too. It has no problem towing a two horse trailer, my jeep or bx23 on a 16’ car hauler, and the 28’ toy hauler was a good load with the jeep in it. If you are looking for mileage the chevy may be a better pick but my last chevy (’89, ½ ton, short bed, 350. 5speed, 2wd) had too many problems for me to ever get another one. I did get 20mph a few times though and it had good power. I was going to get the Titan but it was a still a month out when I got my ford. Glad I didn’t because of the problems they have had. Don’t know if they are all fixed yet. My brother has a ‘90 Dodge, ¾ ton, club cab, diesel, he loves and that thing gets 20+ mpg towing his ’50 Merc around. With the banks kit it lights the tires too. Of course it sounds like it’s falling apart and you can hear it a mile away

/ Need New Truck e85? #8  
When it comes to fuel economy I'd take a 3/4 diesel over a 1/2 gasser anyday.

/ Need New Truck e85? #9  
viking said:
When it comes to fuel economy I'd take a 3/4 diesel over a 1/2 gasser anyday.

Sad but true. The diesel is much more efficient at light loads.

/ Need New Truck e85? #10  
rcrcomputing said:
As for diesel, I do alot of starting/stoping. No long trips hardly at all. So I figured gas would be best.

I wouldn't let that rule out Diesel trucks. They are not like the old when it was such a pain to start. The new diesel's will happily start and stop just as many times as a gas engine. But the diesel will go 400,000 miles without problems and the gas will last about 1/3 that if your lucky.

I have always loved the Dodge Cummins Diesel, but have heard very good things about the Chevy duramax and you can get an Allison tranny. But that sounds like overkill for you. Have you seen the hybrid Silverado. That would be a great gas saver truck. Dodge is in the design process of two smaller diesel engines for the 1/2 ton trucks, that in my opinion will be the ultimate all-around truck.