Look what I bought today....

/ Look what I bought today.... #1  
   / Look what I bought today....
Well I took my trailer 18 miles down to the quarry for a load of crushed stone this afternoon and was told that they would not load a pick-up truck or single axle trailer. They could see that my truck was a Ford F-350 dually and the trailer was a heavy duty dump and that I wasn't some idiot trying to get 2 tons of stone in a 1/2 ton pick-up truck with a homemade landscape trailer. But no, they wouldn't budge.
So I called another quarry another 8 miles down the road and they said "Sure, we don't care". I got 1.8 tons @ $8.95/ton. The trailer pulled great and now I don't have to rob the axle from under my other trailer to make the dump a tandem. I thought about putting a set of cheater wheels on it to fool that Hansen quarry into loading it. But it's worth not having to do all that work for the extra 16 miles, although I can see that it will add up in a hurry.
Now I have to put a set of sides on it because people are already talking to me about hauling mulch.

/ Look what I bought today.... #3  
Well, that's a nice new toy you've got there. I would love to have one! Once saw a bumper sticker that said "Yes, this is my truck, No, I will not help you move"... you might be needing something similar for your trailer soon.

/ Look what I bought today.... #4  
It could be a good bumpersticker like "I only take dumps in my own yard"

roxynoodle said:
Well, that's a nice new toy you've got there. I would love to have one! Once saw a bumper sticker that said "Yes, this is my truck, No, I will not help you move"... you might be needing something similar for your trailer soon.

SOON!!! After I dumped the stone I had three people lining up in my driveway...

My buddy just found out that it's going to cost him $50 to use it.

Highbeam said:
It could be a good bumpersticker like "I only take dumps in my own yard"
OOH!!! Now that's good!

I've decided to leave it in the rental motif, that way if I do something stupid people will understand.

/ Look what I bought today.... #7  
Hi, Ford960. I went on brimar trailer website and if you have 225R15 load range d tires the gvw is 5000 lbs. but if the tires are 205R15 load range c the gvw is 3000 lbs. This could be why first quarry didn't load you. I have seen a roofer with same trailer as yours blow a tire and had one lane blocked until it could get towed or fixed, he was way overloaded. The DOT officers stop landscapers for license endorsement if needed and to check weight of trailers. This happens in my home state. plowking

Mine is the DT508-5 which has the 225 LR D tires and a gvwr of 5,000. The -3 is the 3k trailer.

They didn't even look at my trailer, I was in the office since the weighmaster had taken a break and her door was locked. They asked me if it was a tandem axle trailer and then said that they had a policy against loading pick-up trucks and single axle trailers period. I e-mailed the general manager last night to get a reconsideration but haven't heard back.
I just got back from the other quarry with 4,400 lbs of crushed stone. The frist load this morning was a little light at 3,550 lbs and so I had the loader drop a little extra. It's 27 miles to the quarry and 15 miles is limited access highway with a 70 mph speed limit but I stay between 60 and 65.
Stopped raining now so I have to go out and see how much has washed away.

I had a guy from down the street knocking at my door this morning and asking if my tractor was running. He had 2 loads of pea gravel dumped in his driveway and was trying to spread it with a rake.
Went down there and told him $50 would get it spread and leveled and he countered with the obvious that he had way too much gravel and he would give me a whole truck load in trade. Sounded good to me and I was done in 30 minutes and went back home and got my trailer. There is about 8 tons of stone and I know that it goes for $13.95/ton down at the quarry so that comes out to $111.60 for the load. I've taken 2 trailer loads out at 2 tons a load, dumped one in my driveway and sold the other one to my buddy for $40 when he got home from work.
There is still another 2 loads over there at least, maybe more. He paid $300/ load delivered. The rest of it will have to wait till this rain stops now...Ernesto is coming to visit they say.

plowking said:
I have seen a roofer with same trailer as yours blow a tire and had one lane blocked until it could get towed or fixed, he was way overloaded. plowking

Roofing ya say...Let me guess that the tire probably went flat from a nail and he ran it to destruction. Typical of a roofer as is the overloaded part.

I'm toying with the idea of extending my trailer by about 3', adding another axle, and extending the box. The frame is really stout and I wonder if the cylinder would have a problem dumping the extra weight. It doesn't have much angle to start with in the down position. Once the bed is up about a foot then it has plenty of power. I could always get another cylinder and mount them near the outside frame rail which would increase the strength of the pivots. It would cut the dump time in half but it would still be plenty fast. Have to look at the cost of doing this compared to selling it a buying another larger trailer. The guy that I do work for wants me to start putting in gravel driveways and the 2 tons that I can haul is not enough as there needs to be at least 4 tons of crushed stone for each one. All of my profits are eaten up by the 2 trips to the quarry. Need to make one trip.