Cut your loading time in half?

/ Cut your loading time in half? #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
For those of you with stowable ramps (not fold up type), do you take advantage of low spots in your property to load tractor? I have several uneven spots that I can just pull through, and stop in right spot, just drive tractor up on trailer. This could also be something (more seat time) some of you with loaders, box blades, etc. could build to ease your loading. Just make a ramp to back up to, then just drive on, drive off.

/ Cut your loading time in half? #2  
Ramps? Who needs ramps when there is a ditch in front of the house?
David from jax

/ Cut your loading time in half? #3  
After a year of owning my tractor, I finally got the ramps back from the friend who borrowed my trailer before I bought the tractor. So, I've always loaded and unloaded without the ramps. Worst case scenario is the landscape rake would get caught and I'd have to pull the trailer forward to disengage the tractor.

I still find I'm only using the ramps about 50% of the time!

/ Cut your loading time in half? #4  
I use my ramps and dont like the way the rear of the trlr drops severely when the weight of the tractor gets on it. I dont like the way it raises the tounge of the trailer(and my truck). I think I am going to get some large blocks of wood or something and put them under the rear of the trlr when I load.

/ Cut your loading time in half?
I have thought that welding some square tubing (vertically) to each side back of trailer, then getting some smaller tubing that would fit inside that with a base plate (kind of like adjustable jack stands on front of gooseneck trailers with twin jacks) would be a solution for this problem. You would unpin stabilizer, drop down and pin back in place. This would keep trailer from dropping down. Then after loading, you would raise up and pin back in place. That would be the tricky part--remembering to raise them back up each time before driving off.

/ Cut your loading time in half? #6  
BTDT said:
I have thought that welding some square tubing (vertically) to each side back of trailer, then getting some smaller tubing that would fit inside that with a base plate (kind of like adjustable jack stands on front of gooseneck trailers with twin jacks) would be a solution for this problem. You would unpin stabilizer, drop down and pin back in place. This would keep trailer from dropping down. Then after loading, you would raise up and pin back in place. That would be the tricky part--remering to raise them back up each time before driving off.
Kinda like forgetting to raise the staplelizers after using the BH.
----->> Tilt bed trailers solve all these problems .......>>>
MY First Car
http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg
Our First Car
1960 Chevy Impala Convertible, Classic Car Pictures

/ Cut your loading time in half? #7  
I welded two trailer tongue jacks on the rear of the trailer. I just drop them and crank them down a little. I roll my Kubota M4900 right on up.

/ Cut your loading time in half? #8  
BTDT said:
I have thought that welding some square tubing (vertically) to each side back of trailer, then getting some smaller tubing that would fit inside that with a base plate (kind of like adjustable jack stands on front of gooseneck trailers with twin jacks) would be a solution for this problem. You would unpin stabilizer, drop down and pin back in place. This would keep trailer from dropping down. Then after loading, you would raise up and pin back in place. That would be the tricky part--remembering to raise them back up each time before driving off.

I did this to my first trailer (6x14) so I could drive tractor onto trailer to unload gravel with the loader. I did it to help keep some weight off the rear axle. It worked good when my brother used the trailer to haul his Jeep too.
JC

/ Cut your loading time in half? #9  
With the pin type stabilizers you had better be sure to anticipate the trailer squatting under the load of your tractor. It would be a bummer to not be able to pull the pin out once you're all loaded up.

I use ramps each time despite the ability to dig a loading pit. The ramps are pretty easy to deal with, easier than backing up to a pit just right and risking breaking lights or banging the back of the trailer.

The bigger hassle is dealing with all the chains and binders.

/ Cut your loading time in half? #10  
Highbeam said:
With the pin type stabilizers you had better be sure to anticipate the trailer squatting under the load of your tractor. It would be a bummer to not be able to pull the pin out once you're all loaded up.

I use ramps each time despite the ability to dig a loading pit. The ramps are pretty easy to deal with, easier than backing up to a pit just right and risking breaking lights or banging the back of the trailer.

The bigger hassle is dealing with all the chains and binders.

As with the pin type stabilizers binding after loading, I just use a jack stand under the back center of my trailer then if it binds after loading all I have to do is drive forward a few feet go back and pick up my jack stand, never bent one yet I couldn't straighten out. LOL