Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull?

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
Having just bought a tractor, I'm now looking for a trailer to put it on. I was hoping the knowledgeable people here could help educate me on some of the differences.

I'm planning on buying one of the new Tundra pickups, which pull 10,600 pounds. Much as I'd love a dump trailer, it probably doesn't work for me now price/weight/size wise.

The question is, what are the advantages of the different hitch arrangements? Obviously, a bumper hitch leaves the truck bed empty, which is good. But is it noticeably harder to tow than a gooseneck? And how about 5th Wheel style hitches - are those even made for trailers?

Thanks for the advice,

charles

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #2  
Wow, toyota has come a long way with a tow rating of 10,600. What kind of trailer you get depends on how much the tractor weighs and how long it is. I'm guessing your tractor is within the rating of your truck. My opinion is a minimum of 18' - 20' double axle trailer with a 7K - 10K rating with a frame mounted load leveling hitch and brakes on both axles. A 7K trailer generally weighs 2000-2300# which leaves you able to haul 4700-5000 on it. If your tractor and implements weigh more than 5K you need the 10K trailer. I don't know if you can use a 5th wheel or gooseneck setup in the Tundra but those trailers usually cost much more than what you need. I have a 20' tiltbed and a 24' gooseneck but also have a 3/4 ton diesel truck to pull them.

George

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull?
Toyota is coming out with big pick up trucks - making them in San Antonio. I've been really happy with toyota over the last 20 years - cars going to 200k with no real repairs, so they are my first choice of pickup.

I definitely want the 10k rating on the trailer - I'd rather have excess capacity than be pushing right up against it.

Seems like installing a gooseneck is just a matter of putting the right hitch in the bed. The question is, is a gooseneck noticeably better than a regualr hitch style? And if so, why?

thanks

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #4  
I do not know what hitches are available for that Tundra, but that would be the first place I would start. See what their capacities are, I would wonder about bumper pull on a tundra at 10,000 lbs.

Gooseneck is more forgiving of errors in loading, helps to get your load centered up over the rear axle of your truck, just generally tows nicer.

Good or bad, they react to your steering input slower when backing.

Bumper pulls are far more common, easier to find parts and pieces for, quicker turning if you are trying to back into small areas, and if needed, a lot easier to find someone's truck to borrow if need be in a pinch. (that is both a pro and a con as it makes one less argument when people want to borrow your trailer).

I have both, and see advantages and problems with both systems.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #5  
I would not rely on a bumper mount ball to haul a 10K trailer. Either get the frame mounted receiver hitch or your local tractor supply store sells the gooseneck plate w/2 5/16" ball that goes in the bed. Holes must be drilled through the bed to attach the plate to the truck frame. My tag along trailer is easier to back up than the gooseneck. The axles on it are mounted more forward than the gooseneck axles which are mounted more toward the back of the trailer. In my opinion I have to turn the truck wheel twice as much to get the gooseneck backed in. As Alan said the gooseneck reacts slower to steering input. I no longer loan out my trailers since in the past they always have come back damaged from inattentive users.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #6  
Gooseneck is far better to tow with..turn with and you can put it 90*plus to the truck where a TT it is impossible. You get far less sway with a GN trailer. Yes backing is harder but easily mastered... everything else far outweighs this negative.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #7  
is a gooseneck noticeably better than a regualr hitch style? And if so, why?

The gooseneck is most definitely better; much more stable, no separate sway control required and will not have the sway that a conventional trailer is subject to. It puts more weight on the truck (on the pin) but farther forward so it's much better balanced. It's safer and more comfortable for the driver. Slower steering input in reverse? Yes, but I consider that an advantage instead of disadvantage, and you can "jackknife" the gooseneck muich farther than you can a conventional trailer.

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull?
Sorry, by bumper pull I was trying to describe "non-gooseneck". Toyota is evidently building a 10k hitch into the the frame of the truck, and if they certify it as such I'm sure it'll be fine.

So gooseneck is better for towing, and tag along for backing? I have to admit I'm not exactly great at backing my little utility trailer.... Is it just a matter of easier balance on the gooseneck, or is the sway dramatically higher on the tag along?

And with the pluses and minuses, for occasional use, does whatever extra value the gooseneck has justify the higher expense?

Thanks again for all the useful advice!

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #9  
Charlesaf3 said:
And with the pluses and minuses, for occasional use, does whatever extra value the gooseneck has justify the higher expense?

That you will have to answer for yourself after you get prices:eek:

Maybe you could tell us some more info to help us help you:

1. How much do you want to spend?
2. How much towing will you do?
-once a week
-once a month
-once a year
3. How many miles would be your average towing trip?
4. What will be attached to or carried along with the tractor?

Also remember to include hitches, brake controller, chains, straps, binders, wheel chocks, spare tire, etc. when answering question #1, these accessories add up quick!

/ Gooseneck, 5th Wheel, or Bumper pull? #10  
How about one of the pluses is the GN is a safer trailer due to its pulling charasterics.
Both trailers will do what you want to do and if $$$ is the deciding factor then the TT will wins hands down.