tag axles

/ tag axles #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
Hello,

Does any of you have ever seen a self steering tag axle with a load rating less than 9 ton ? Here in Europe we cant find any, most manufacturers only sell self steering axles of the big sales volume series, the 9 ton axles.

/ tag axles #2  
Can you post a picture of one of the larger ones? Might help explain what a self steering axle is used for. I picture one of the dollies that sits under the rear of a very long load that has a steering wheel and a separate driver for each end... which probably isn't what your looking for.
David from jax

/ tag axles #3  
Would that be something like and old Tobacco Trailer. Were the axle steer's in the front.

/ tag axles #4  
Sandman - I think he is referring to something like this:

BPW Limited - Products - Self Steering Axle

They are used a lot in Ontario (Canada) where they add one behind the cab of a tandem dump truck to increase the payload. This configuration is not permitted in my end of the country. Some guys around here have bought used dump trucks in Ontario that are set up like this and are now driving them around with the extra axle lifted while lobbying to make them legal here. Unlike the ones in the URL above, the have to be lifted to back up, or the inclined kingpins cause the wheels to drag sideways. These axles are equipped with a damper to keep them from oscillating when going forward.

/ tag axles
Yes, i was referring to those BPW axles. http://www.bpw.de/en/produkte/nfz/data/pdf_axles/p32-33_self-steering_axles.pdf

Gigant, Colaert, DaimlerChrysler werk Kassel, SAF, all have self steering axles.

It seems that no one builds them smaller than 7,5 ton. I was wondering if theres a3 or 4 ton self steering axle available, to be used under a super low semi ??

We have customers that ride to the German automobile factories quite often, and they have to pay extra road toll when the truck and trailer totals above 12 ton.. So they want to use an 8,5 ton semi with 2x 3500kg axles on 14" tires, to keep it as low as possible. There are no tires available of the same height that can carry this weight on a single axle with dual tires. The low height is desireable to have a low ramp angle, and to be able to carry cars on another elevated loading deck.

Oh, herringchoker, why exactly are self steering axles illegal in your part of Canada ? I have worked at a trailer builder, assembling 7 axle 70 ton tank transport trailers for the Dutch and British armies. i believe they had only 2 rigid axles, the rest of them was steered by a PLC

Broshuis defensie afbeelding
(I only worked on the 4 axle defence trailers, for about a month)

Broshuis gallery: Mefigro
Broshuis gallery: Mefigro

Last edited:
   / tag axles #6  
Renze, I think these axles aren't permitted (yet) here because our provincial authorities haven't yet recognized the self-steering axle as being different from a rigid lift axle. All lift axles are banned here (probably because drivers were indeed lifting them at times and overloading the pavement under the other axles). At least, that's my understanding of it. To have 4 axles on a straight truck here, 2 have to be steering axles (not a steering axle plus a self-steer axle), which tends to be a rather expensive setup. The Province of Ontario seems to be the leader in Canada in this sort of thing. Perhaps in time we will catch up. :rolleyes:

/ tag axles #7  
I have installed a couple of Silent Drive Inc. steer axles before. The ones I have installed are 13,000 and 9,000 LB axles. They probably have something that would work for your application.

aas737.jpg

AAS-737 FEATURES

LIGHT WEIGHT: Light weight design using high strength steel.
AIR RIDE/AIR LIFT: Provides a smooth ride and maximum cargo protection.
Air springs lift axle when not in use.
CAPACITY: 9,000 lbs.
MAXIMUM LIFT: Up to 9 inches.
LOW MAINTENANCE: Durable bushings at all pivot points.
No lubrication required.
SELF-STEERING AXLE: Offers longer tire life, better vehicle handling and light weight design.
PARALLELOGRAM DESIGN: Maintains a constant kingpin angle through the full axle travel.

aas727sh.jpg

AAS-727-SH FEATURES

LIGHT WEIGHT: Light weight design using high strength steel.
AIR RIDE/AIR LIFT: Provides a smooth ride and maximum cargo protection.
Air springs lift axle when not in use.
CAPACITY: 13,000 lbs.
MAXIMUM LIFT: Up to 8 inches.
LOW MAINTENANCE: Durable bushings at all pivot points. No lubrication required.
SELF-STEERING AXLE: Offers longer tire life, better vehicle handling and light weight design. Bolted axle ends for greater ride height range.
ADJUSTABLE AXLE: Fabrication axle provides a ride height range of 6 to 13 inches.
PARALLELOGRAM DESIGN: Maintains a constant kingpin angle through the full axle travel.

Silent Drive Inc., Premier Suspension Manufacturer :: Product Line :: Steerable Air Suspensions by Silent Drive Inc.

Contact Information

Silent Drive Inc.
1300 Arizona Place SW
P.O. Box 227
Orange City, IA 51041
Phone Toll Free: 800-658-3866
FAX: 712-737-2865
E-Mail: rkelch@silentdrive.com

edited to add:
I just noticed they also have a steerable axle called MAXLE. I have never installed one of these but it looks interesting. It mounts to the back and lift's completly up out of the way.

Silent Drive Inc., Premier Suspension Manufacturer :: Product Line :: MAXLE
maxle-cm.jpg

williamson.jpg

/ tag axles
Dieselpower, how do these tag axles self steer ?

It seems to me that they have the kingping intersect the wheel axis, unlike the BPW axle which has the wheel pivot extended 120mm in front of the wheel center.

If they self steer because they are turned over with the kingpins leaning forward, you can make any axle self steer, and i have a lot of adresses where i can get a standard steering axle of the required capacity. Mercedes sells their light truck and Van axles also OEM, next to their trailer axle industry. Using this would be lots cheaper, Merc parts are available all over europe, and it saves us from any liability and business risk of having axle pivots machined to our own specifications...

DaimlerChrysler Werk Kassel - Home