How many miles on your Powerstroke?

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #21  
machmeter62 said:
Bill: Once again thanks for the fuel pump info. I have a fuel pressure gauge that I plan to install on the van. What has slowed the process, is the route of the pressure line to the gauge; I don't want to drill through the firewall, and with freezing weather, I will delay crawling under it! I am convinced I am getting reverse fuel flowing after shut-down, which empties the mechanical fuel pump or close to it? I would also like to install a one-way check valve up-stream of the mechanical pump. Does that FPR screen apply to my 89' vintage?? From what I have read, it is for the later models 96'+?? Or maybe I'm confused?------------LEE

Mine's a 94.5 year model and it had the FPR screen, on mine the screen didn't show any sign of debris when I checked it a few years ago. I don't have any idea whether the older vintage engines had a similar screen, but they might.

As far as going through the firewall, on mine I found a diamond-shaped plastic plug that pried out to reveal a hole right above the accelerator pedal (maybe a couple of inches above the pedal). For folks with an automatic tranny, there's also supposed to be a plastic plug in the firewall where the clutch master cylinder would mount to the firewall (off to the side of the brake master cylinder).

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #22  
machmeter62 said:
Dargo: Your stories always add "good humor" to this forum!! Is this the same guy that beats his tractor also?

Yes! This the neighbor that I wouldn't consider letting him borrow a hammer. If it came to it, I'd just give him the hammer. I wouldn't want it back! He is really a good guy, but absolutely is brutal on all his equipment.

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #23  
1997 F250 with 244k miles.

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #24  
I have a 95' F350 with a 7.3 and I have 367,000 mile on it right now and I
use it daily.
I agree that the original Ford air filtration system was crappy.

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #25  
This is not a PS reply; the '89 F250 4x4 xcab I used to have had a 351 gasser in it. However, the point is with good care, you can expect a lot of miles from a vehicle.

I got this truck used, with a lot of miles on it. It was apparent when I got it, that it had been kept up well, although there were no records(got it from a used car lot). I continued to take good care of it. When I sold it to get my new(in '01) truck, it had over 225,000 miles on it. It still ran great; in fact besides some fading of the pain and use scratches(it was a TRUCK after all :D) it was pretty nice. I had done some work to it; the 5spd tranny was not as good as the manuals these days, and the IFS sagged(never get an IFS with leaf springs...

Overall though, it was a great truck. I used it to haul tractors, fire wood, and an 11' cab-over camper. At over 200,000 miles, we hauled the camper on a 4 week, 3500 mile trip around the west.

I replaced it with a Cummins Dodge, but would still buy another F250, even used. I prefer the Cummins engine, but the 7.3PS I have driven over the years have been pretty decent.

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #26  
I sold my 94 1/2 last summer and bought an 03 Dodge. The only reason I didn't go back to the PS was I didn't find the right one at the time. The Dodge "fit." I had a few injection issues towards the end and had replaced the clutch. All things that just happen at some point with diesels. It happened to have right at 175,000 also. I think part of our issues were from the fact that we did not drive it ENOUGH. It might sit a week to 10 days at a time. It was a great pickup. I would do as others have said, have it inspected by a trustworthy person and see what they say. Sounds like it could be a great deal.

And Dargo... I am starting to worry about you... can't see you around a "tractor beater." Sounds like he needs a support group.. :)

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #27  
my 96 e350 has 385000 pulled traillers on highway alot. It has starting problems. Still runs good. Larry

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #28  
rback33 said:
And Dargo... I am starting to worry about you... can't see you around a "tractor beater." Sounds like he needs a support group.. :)

Ha! That's not the half of it. A local vet had the Humane Society people all over him. It appears that the vet was called out to his farm to fix his mule. From what I hear the old guy (BTW, he is 6'5 and wears size 23 shoes :eek:) got into it with a mule. The mule bit him when he slapped it. So, again from what I heard, he beat the mule with a stick until an eyeball fell out. :eek: Then, when he was walking away, the mule bit him in the back yet again causing him to need stitches. ROFL! Not about the mule, but about my neighbor. Knowing the guy, I can just picture that in my mind.

So, I don't doubt at all that he's beaten his tractor and his truck! Heck, when I have out of town executives here for an overnight stay, I sometimes take them to his house just for the entertainment of not knowing what he'll say or do. What a hoot! The last time I did that he was holding his baby with one arm and was eating something with another. The baby's nose was running big time and was getting really messy. Since he didn't have a spare hand, he turned the baby towards him, covered the baby's face with his mouth and sucked the baby's nose clean! :eek: Holy cow man!! That was a classic! He explained that his momma and granny always did that and it works "reel good". Ah, and his Powerstroke is still running...

Heck, I ought to have a TBN get together at his house and charge admission! It's a virtual petting zoo and you get to meet people from so many different countries who work there...

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #29  
Dargo said:
Ha! That's not the half of it. A local vet had the Humane Society people all over him. It appears that the vet was called out to his farm to fix his mule. From what I hear the old guy (BTW, he is 6'5 and wears size 23 shoes :eek:) got into it with a mule. The mule bit him when he slapped it. So, again from what I heard, he beat the mule with a stick until an eyeball fell out. :eek: Then, when he was walking away, the mule bit him in the back yet again causing him to need stitches. ROFL! Not about the mule, but about my neighbor. Knowing the guy, I can just picture that in my mind....

:D That reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles where Mongo punched the horse in the face....:D This guy seems like a trip..

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke?
Thanks for all the replies. This would not be my first diesel purchase, though it would be my first diesel in a personal pickup. I did have a T444E in a 25,500 GVW international a few years ago.... sold it with about 225 miles on it. It ran good with no major problems but really nickel and dimed me in comparison to my 3126 Cat in my other medium duty.... but that is probably for some other forum. I also owned an F350 with a pre-turbo 7.3 which was generally trouble free. I ask about the miles you are getting out of your Powerstrokes, as i was thinking i would want to keep whatever i buy ten years..... however i may be thinking too far ahead, as i cannot remember one vehicle i've EVER kept ten years. I'm not neccesarily more pro Powerstoke than Cumminsor even Duramax..... but the Fords with the powerstrokes are finally getting into the price range (used) where i can pay for one outright, and have no truck payment. I have yet to see a Dodge/Cummins in similar condition within a couple grand of what i'd be paying for the F250. Perhaps because there are so many more of the Ford diesels around? And the Duramaxes just haven't been around long enough for them to be of the age where you can find one in decent shape in the 10-12 thousand $ range. Maybe if we could get the Ford with a Cummins and an Allison in it?

Dargo..... i can see this forum is ripe for a "Your Wackiest Neighbor" thread !