How many miles on your Powerstroke?

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #31  
Ductape said:
Maybe if we could get the Ford with a Cummins and an Allison in it?

There are a couple companies that will do that for you, although I do not think theyhave the Allison part of the equation. I'm guessing it would cost a chunk of change though...

I have always liked Ford trucks, but got a Dodge in '01. I thought I might have a good engine but ok truck; the Dodge has been a great truck.

There was a guy a few years ago here in Sacramento, who wanted a H1 Hummer, but was dissappointed with the stock diesel. He had too much money burning a hole in his pocket... He bought a brand new Hummer AND a new Duramax pickup. He had the shop yank the motors, swap the Duramax in to the Hummer. He had no further desire for the enigine-less pickup; I never heard what happened to it. But, he spent the bucks to get the truck, just for the motor.

From what I heard, that Hummer ran pretty good...

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #32  
I agree. I would seriously look at an H2 Hummer if they would only put a Duramax in it. To me, this seems like a natural option, yet year after year, they continue to not offer diesel power in that machine. I realize the image of the H1 reasons one to think diesel for it, but most of us do not want something so expensive or specialized to drive daily. Why they do not put a diesel in the H2 is really beyond me--if course many things the General does are beyond me.

John M

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #33  
We have about six in our fleet and we've seen anywhere from 170,000 to about 275,000 tops. I shouldn't say that! I guess it just depends on how much money you want to throw at it! There does seem to be differences in some of the engine components with the glow plugs but otherwise we keep winding up with low compression from about 200,000 and up depending on the truck. These trucks get 4000 mile oil changes with good oil but the uses vary from roll backs to service bodies but most are hauling a load. The gearing on them does make a difference as well as the speeds of the engine, our lowest milage unit to fail was a interstate truck that turned about 2600 to 2700 at 65. It cost ten to have it repowered but we use it in the country now.

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #34  
art said:
We have about six in our fleet and we've seen anywhere from 170,000 to about 275,000 tops. I shouldn't say that! I guess it just depends on how much money you want to throw at it! There does seem to be differences in some of the engine components with the glow plugs but otherwise we keep winding up with low compression from about 200,000 and up depending on the truck. These trucks get 4000 mile oil changes with good oil but the uses vary from roll backs to service bodies but most are hauling a load. The gearing on them does make a difference as well as the speeds of the engine, our lowest milage unit to fail was a interstate truck that turned about 2600 to 2700 at 65. It cost ten to have it repowered but we use it in the country now.

Art,
Not knowing your particular situation, but low compression is typical of poor air filtration.. Could you possibly have been using aftermarket filters(cheapies or oil type)? Maybe loose intake hoses or cracks in the hoses?? Just a suggestion, but we see it all the time..These engines should last much longer than that..

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #35  
We're not the best there as we use NAPA's and change them out at the second oil change do to the dirt. We use Fleet gaurd oil filters and Case-IH oils. We haven't seen much difference from some of our customers trucks when talking about those engines for life. In the bigger trucks and for where they are used in school buses what we have seems to match with them in this area.

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #36  
art said:
We're not the best there as we use NAPA's and change them out at the second oil change do to the dirt. We use Fleet gaurd oil filters and Case-IH oils. We haven't seen much difference from some of our customers trucks when talking about those engines for life. In the bigger trucks and for where they are used in school buses what we have seems to match with them in this area.

Like I said, not knowing the exact circumstances, its hard to say... Seems low to me though:confused: ...I know, and deal with, fleets who have no trouble getting 600k out of them... Hope you have better luck in the future..

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke?
OK...... i did not end up with the truck i was originally looking at. I DID still buy a Ford with a powerstroke though. I was adamant about having an extended cab at the least, and preferably a crew cab. However..... i ended up buying neither ! BUT..... i did find a REALLY clean 97 F350 Reg. cab, XLT 4X4 SRW. Bought it from the original owner with a scant 62,XXX on the clock. Its NICE !! Pics to follow once i get it washed !

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #38  
If you do not mind my asking could you give us a range of price a truck like that would bring???

John M

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #39  
Ductape said:
I'm looking at a 99 F250 PSD 4x4 (automatic). It looks well cared for and has 175,000 on the clock. How many more miles can i expect out of this truck? It will be my daily transportation, as well as occaisionally towing a 7000GVW open car trailer, hauling my firewood home, and perhaps occaisionally towing a 7000GVW dump trailer. Anything i want to look out for?

The 99's had changes to them. The later 99's had an intercooler on them from the factory. This increased the HP on the units due to the cooler and denser air intake. These are good trucks. I put 128K on a 92 pre stroke and have only 65K on my 03. That engine should be good for 300K to 400K miles easy.

/ How many miles on your Powerstroke? #40  
My highest mileage 444E powered vehicle I currently own is a 98 Super Duty E van has around 315K on it now and no complaint's here. I am a stickler for maintenance and have been since day one when I bought it new. I use only top of the line lubricants and filters (and avoid KN type gauze filters like the plauge). I have also done UOA's on the engine and trans fluid since day one. The only aftermarket changes I have done to it is to add a larger auto trans cooler, a very mild program change to gain some HP and better MPG and the addition of a second fuel filter prior to the one on the engine. For a little over 2 years now this van has run on 100% home brew biodiesel.

I have only ever done 2 major repairs to it so far to the engine. First was to install a set of updated injector O-rings a couple of years ago. They were not leaking yet but I figured they would soon and being slow at work at the time was the perfect time to do the upgrade. While I had the (pain in the neck to get off) valve covers off I also stuck in a set of glow plugs. They were not bad yet but at 200K I figured why take the chance. Having worked at a International dealer in the past I have replaced dozens of sets of the injector O-rings so I figured I better just get them out of the way. Second was a water pump that started leaking at around 190K which seems to be about average mileage for a 444E engine water pump.

Other than that I have been tickled pink with the 18 foot cube van that runs a GVW of around 17,000 pounds 5-6 day's a week. It's a mobile service truck loaded with tools and oil drums. The automatic transmission is the weak link and it was rebuilt once at around 175K. I had a friend who builds race transmissions do it and had him make it as bullet proof as possible, so far so good. If a manual transmission could have been had it would have, I hate automatic's.

So you got one with only 62K on it. Shoot, it's hardly even broken in yet. :) Taken care of it should last you for many years to come.