How much $$$$ to Register

/ How much $$$$ to Register #1  

johnk

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags
About how much does it cost to register a trailer around the good ole US. I just bought a 10K trailer and it initially cost me $148.00 for the year in New York. That was includinding a $50.00 title fee transfer. So basically it will cost me $98.00 a year in this state to have it registered for the full 12 months. Talk about robbery........

/ How much $$$$ to Register #2  
In michigan we have perminant(sp) plates. I do not know the price for the heavier trailers, but under 2500 lb. it is $75. I think the other fees are $150 and $300. My boat trailer I bought in Florida was around $27/yr so I reristered it in MI. I have a 12K dump trailer and the fee on that trailer was $75.

/ How much $$$$ to Register #3  
The State of California has a relative recent change in trailer license, and I don't know if a weight fee applies for > 10,000#? I have about eight trailers; 10,000# GVW or less, and the new fees are $10/ 5 Yr. renewal/ trailer. That's not a mis-print! $2.00/yr./ trailer, and renewed every five years? We have very few bargains in this state, and this maybe the first one? Also, no trailer inspections is required. Before the recent fee renewal, the annual cost was $20 or less per trailer. The auto/truck fees are a different story, and are assessed at one percent of value until their 13th birthday; then it's a fixed yearly fee.

/ How much $$$$ to Register #4  
In Kansas the trailer reg. fee is annual and based on the total weight that will be hauled on the trailer. My 7,000 utility trailer is $25.00/year, registered for less than 12M, my 16,000 gooseneck dump trailer is $35.00/year, registered for over 12M. The county also tacks on a small service fee of $3.00 per year which I think goes up to $5 in 2007. The real kicker is every year we pay personal property tax on about everything, these two trailers are a little over $150.00 this year (2006). That has been about the same for the last few years, as they are about depreciated out, according to the county appraiser.

/ How much $$$$ to Register #5  
In Virginia a permanent license plate is around $50 (an annual plate is close to $30). There is a $10 fee for a title, and a 3% title tax (based on the sales price) that is also collected at the time it is titled.

The $50 fee covers any trailer gross weight.

brian

/ How much $$$$ to Register #6  
johnk said:
About how much does it cost to register a trailer around the good ole US. I just bought a 10K trailer and it initially cost me $148.00 for the year in New York. That was includinding a $50.00 title fee transfer. So basically it will cost me $98.00 a year in this state to have it registered for the full 12 months. Talk about robbery........

johnk,

My 10K dump trailer only costs $86.25 a year to register it in NY. NY's trailer registration is on a calendar year basis - January to December and is pro-rated based on the number of months left in the year at the time you register or renew the registration. NY offers on-line renewal. I take advantage of this. Since I don't use the trailer in the winter months, I wait until I need it in the spring (usually April) to renew. When it is time to take the trailer out, I go on-line and renew. I get the new registration and the sticker for the license plate in the mail in about a week but, if I really needed to use the trailer that day, I think I could get by with the renewal receipt printed from the web site. I do the same thing for my wife's horse trailer which was never on the road last year. I renewed in late November just to keep the registration active so I would get the renewal notice for 2007.

Jeff

/ How much $$$$ to Register #7  
When I had trailers registered as "farm" trailers, it cost $5 a year regardless of weight capacity. But now, I've got a little 4' x 8' trailer, gross weight 1500#, that costs $42.75 a year, and my boat trailer, gross weight 1800#, cost $68.15.:(

/ How much $$$$ to Register #8  
Iowa is $10 per year for the little trailers I have, + sales tax when you first register. I don't know if it's more for larger trailers.

/ How much $$$$ to Register #9  
South Carolina does not require a plate/registration unless it is for commercial use or the weight puts it into CDL range. Campers have a separate plate. I've lived in several other states, and they all required a plate...that is, if it rolls on the road it better have a plate. SC residents are accustomed to pulling trailers without a plate. I have 5 trailers and the only one that has a plate is my pop up camper..around $30 a year. South Carolina is odd also with boats. I have 2 boats, and each outboard is registered, (fees paid and sticker applied to the motor), and the boats themselves are registered separately, (and a seperate fee paid on it, also). I pay personal property tax on the boats and motors, and pop up...but nothing on my other trailers. I do however, keep a separate trailer plate up to date, (around $30 year)...and attach it to whatever trailer I am pulling when going out of state...just to keep from being pulled over by the Highway Patrol and having to explain why I don't have a plate.

/ How much $$$$ to Register #10  
Wow, some states are bargains for sure.

Wisconsin is a part bargain and part not. Trailers up to 3000# are no plate no charge. (Bargain) My 10,000# trailer is $55 and 12,000# is $65 and less of a bargain.

jb