Trailering Newbie Questions

/ Trailering Newbie Questions #1  

Ben3130

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
Hi all,

I have been browsing this forum recently because the time has finally come where I need to start hauling my tractor locally and I have no experience with picking out the right setup.

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extend Cab Z71 4wd with towing package and wired for electric brakes. My towing capacity is ~8,400# (I don't remember what the exact figure was from my owner's manual).

My tractor is a Kubota L3130 with ag tires (rears loaded) and FEL. I currently have a 7' rear blade and a 5' KingKutter bush hog. Ideally I would like to fit the tractor and the bush hog on the trailer together, but I am willing to transport the bush hog in the bed of the truck if necessary.

What trailer would you recommend for this setup? I have been looking at an 18' flat trailer. From what I have seen from pictures, I am hoping I could hang the FEL just over the front of the bed of the trailer. This would fit the entire tractor with just a small section of the bush hog hanging out the back between the ramps. I have no idea if this is ok or not. Also, I was told to get a 10,000# trailer because if I ever decided to get a backhoe, a 7,000# would not be enough.

Thanks in advance, this forum has helped me so much already, and I appreciate any help you trailering experts can provide.

/ Trailering Newbie Questions #2  
I had a 7K trailer and by the time I subtracted its weight I was down to 5K capacity pretty guick. My TLB set-up was right at my 5K limit and I believe my tractor was smaller than what you have. If I had it to do over I would have went with a 10K trailer. As for the trailer I like dove tails and adjustable ramps for sure. I had good luck with Big Tex trailers both from a cost and performance stand point :).

/ Trailering Newbie Questions
Thanks for the info, JDGREEN4ME. I am all about getting the 10,000# trailer. My only concern is will it be safe for my truck to pull when you add up the weight of the trailer, my tractor, FEL, and bush hog. From my calculations it should be, but again I have no practical experience towing anything that weighed this much.

I have looked at the dovetail trailers, my only concern with getting a dovetail is since I am looking to use all available real estate on the trailer, would I be better off with having all 18' just flat deck space? They do look like they are really nice for loading/unloading...

/ Trailering Newbie Questions #4  
I had an 18', 7K flat trailer, when I purchased it from the dealer I asked if he would load a JD 4500 4WD/FEL and backhoe on it, he said no. The trailer had square tube rails on top and was purchased for mowing equipment only. That weight might pick up the butt-end of the truck when you load the trailer- no problem, just place blocks under the back of the trailer. I also have a 10K Pequa deck over trailer and the JD can still make the back of a 1 ton 4wd dually pop up but not in an unsafe manner (ie. skidding or rolling).

Good Luck!

/ Trailering Newbie Questions #5  
I'd get a minumum of 20' 10K trailer for the load you want to haul.
I have a 20' trailer for my Mahindra 2615HST with loader. With the loader up front and my 5' KK rotary mower on back it takes up the whole 20' with only inches to spare. Your truck should haul it fine. I had an 02 1500 EC 4x4 and it was rated to haul 8500#. I have since moved up to a 3/4T with Duramax and allison that will haul a 12K tag a long or a 15.5K gooseneck.

/ Trailering Newbie Questions #6  
George2615 said:
I'd get a minumum of 20' 10K trailer for the load you want to haul.

yep, me too, totally agree
7k lb trailers are for mowing equipment, they dont' last and they aren't solid.
Tractors are heavy.
Plus the extra couple feet lets you go forward and back and set the tractor correctly to get the right amount of tongue weight.

/ Trailering Newbie Questions #7  
I am also looking to get a trailer to haul my tractor and attachments. I was planning on a 10K 18' - 20' car/equipment hauler since my truck is rated for 7800 lbs. Just today, one trailer dealer told me that it was illegal to tow a trailer with a capacity rated higher than what the truck is rated to pull even if the trailer is empty. So he says I can not get a 10K rated trailer. I am in NY state. Is he correct?

Thanks,

Ken

Thanks to everyone so far for the great input. Sounds like I'm on track with the 10,000# trailer, but it seems that I need to start looking into 20' trailer pricing. What would a respectable price for a 20' 10,000# trailer be?

ksimolo, you bring up an interesting point. I live in southwest VA, and I asked a couple of trailer dealers about that very thing. I never got a straight answer, but from what I gather down here it doesn't matter what the trailer is rated for, it only matters what you are actually hauling. As long as I don't exceed my towing capacity in actual weight (tractor, trailer, and implements), I should be good. I would like to verify that, though.

LoneCowboy, you mentioned that the 20' gives you a little extra room to balance the tongue load. How do you know when the load is balanced?

/ Trailering Newbie Questions #9  
ksimolo . . . I don't know NY law, but I doubt if the trailer dealer is correct.

Ben3130 . . . be careful how much trailer you buy, too little is bad, but too much is not good either. You have 8400# capacity maximum, assuming your truck is in good shape, the brakes are good, etc. Do not presume a safety factor. A 10,000# trailer will weigh roughly 2000# alone, but a 20' 10,000# trailer will weigh more than an 18' 10,000# trailer. So the longer you go the less actual capacity you will have.

Now presuming a 2000# trailer weight, you have to deduct that from the 8400# towing capacity, that leaves you with 6400# of cargo capacity.

Add the weight of your tractor (roughly 3300#), loader (roughly 1000#), implements (varies 500# on up) and then factor in 400# to 500# for fluid filled tires. You will have roughly 6 heavy chains, and probably 4 ratchet binders, that is easily another 100# probably 150#. I presume you are going to fill the fuel tank (tractor weights are rarely given with a full load of fuel) and diesel weighs about 9 pounds per gallon so figure another 90# of weight for the fuel. If you toss an extra 5 gallon fuel can on there then add another 45#. Everything adds up.

So now what is left over? How often will you tow?

I guestimate 5500#, perhaps a bit more. That leaves you some margin.

If you tow occasionally and you are towing at/near your maximum then you are putting a lot of strain on your truck but not doing it very often. If you intend to tow a lot, then you are really going to be stressing your truck and can expect shorter life. Double check the condition of your brakes. Get a good brake controller and make sure you have brakes on both of the trailer axles.

By the way, if you move the load from the trailer to the truck bed you do not accomplish anything. The truck is going to have a maximum combined vehicle weight and that weight will include the people in cab, the load in bed, and the candy bars, flashlight & maps in the glovebox. Maximum is maximum. No way around it.

You are not yet at maximum, but a backhoe would easily throw you over.

Realize I only guestimated your FEL, fluid fill and implement weight, you should be more accurate before you load any trailer.

Bob_Skurka,

Thanks for the great info. I'm going to get more accurate numbers for everything this weekend, including the exact length of the tractor and the bush hog (which will be the longest configuration I would have).

For the foreseeable future, my hauling duties will be occasional and local. I have just had the entire truck checked out, specifically for this reason. I was told by mechanics I trust that the truck was in great towing shape. It is wired for electric brakes. Every trailer that I have considered buying has electric brakes on both axles.

My comment about putting the bush hog in the bed of the truck was not for weight issues, but length issues. If (for whatever reason), I end up getting an 18' trailer and the bush hog will not fit mounted on the tractor, then I would transport it in the bed of the truck.