How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for?

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #1  

Dmace

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20 HST
I recently picked up a 94.5 Ford F-350 powerstroke diesel (non-turbo) dumptruck with a 9' Fisher plow for plowing and yard work. Now that the temps are dropping, I have been plugging it in overnight if I know I will need it the next day for plowing or anything else.

Now for instance, I plugged it in last night and left it overnight to plow today but there was very little snow with more on the way, so I figured I would wait until the storm ends and plow tomorrow.

Is there any harm in leaving it plugged in for 24 hours or more?
Except for the harm done to my electric bill of course... :D

Here is the truck...
66049d1166050563-your-vehicle-dumptruck-1.jpg

Thanks,

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #2  
The Ford block heaters are thermostatically controlled. As you stated, the only harm in leaving it plugged in all the time will be to your electric bill. Been a few years since I had a Ford that old with a block heater, but I think the '93 IDI turbo I had was 1500 watts.

Both of my 6.0's have never been plugged in. This morning it was 7 degrees with a beautiful 3" coating of ice on the ground. My '05 started just like it was 70 degrees outside. They both stay in the shed, but its unheated. The in-cab thermometer showed the outside temp. of 7 degrees when I started it.

Stong batteries and good oil make the use of the block heater pretty much unnecessary down to 0 or so. But it may be that cold where you are.

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #3  
The only damage will probably be to your wallet and possibly a premature heater failure. The block heater is 1000 watts IIRC...

On my truck (1992 F250HD ATS Turbo'd 7.3L), I use a heavy duty timer from Home Depot and set it for 3 hours before I think I will need the truck, This has worked well for me for the last 5 years...

PS. If your truck does not have a turbo, it is not a "PowerStroke" engine. It is simply a International 7.3L IDI (Indirect Injected) or NA (naturally Aspirated) engine. You have the E4OD Automatic correct? The PowerStroke was only available in the 94.5 year with the 5 speed...At least I think I remembered that right:confused:

Check out this site for great info and help if you need it...
http://www.oilburners.net

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #4  
beagdog said:
The Ford block heaters are thermostatically controlled.

Not on the older ones, there is no thermostat. The heater is ON if its plugged in.

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #5  
I used to get up at like 3 am and get dressed and go outside and plug it in.
Atter a while I decided that that was stupid
If it's going to get down below 10 degrees, I just plug it in the night before.

done

And while I'm sure it will start in the evil cold, it sure warms up a lot faster when it's plugged in, and I'm sure the bearings and such like having oil instead of frozen sludge.

don't forget anti-gel for the fuel.

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for?
kennyd said:
PS. If your truck does not have a turbo, it is not a "PowerStroke" engine.
I have been told from three different Ford and Diesel forums that 94.5 was a Powerstroke and went DI (direct injection) from IDI and the turbocharger was an option and standard on 95+. I really have no idea... :confused: It is an automatic if that helps.

LoneCowboy said:
don't forget anti-gel for the fuel.

I run Power service in the early winter months until the gas stations have completely changed to "winter blend" diesel. Do you guys run it all winter ? all year round...?

Thanks for the quick replies.

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #7  
The electric bill is really going to suck. I started plugging mine in in the late fall and didn't really think much of it. Then I got my electric bill and I used 8kwh more. The heater in my 6.0 is 960watts so I draws around 8 amps. Since I know a good electrician, (me) I got a mechanical timer and set it for 2 hours before I need to leave. I don't absolutly need to plug it in but it runs pretty rough when cold and it runs like it's summer with a few hours on the heater. I'm sure that the heater is a good idea for longevity of the motor.

Matt T.:D

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #8  
I bought a heavy duty timer (~$20 @ Lowes) and have the heater come on about 2 to 3 hours before I plan on starting it..

I do it primarily because I used to have a very short drive to work and my truck would hardly start to get warm by the time I was at work.. But it will start without plugging it in.. I do it now to save the wear and tear on the truck.

BTW - I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 w/ 5.9 Cummins..

Brian

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for? #9  
My electric bill almost never varies
winter/spring/fall, it's always right around $35

plugged in, not plugged in, whatever (natural gas heat, forced air)

I have never seen it to make any difference.

/ How long do you leave your diesel plugged in for?
The timer is a very good idea. Is 2-3 hours long enough? Maybe on newer vehicles, but I had mine plugged in for only 2 hours with outside temps about 18-20 degrees F and it did not seem to make a difference. I am sure the newer ones are much more effective.

Thanks for all the great info so far.