Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks....

/ Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks.... #11  
I had my 100 gallon Tractor Supply tank on my Dodge dually for at least three years. The biggest drawback was slightly limited vision and loss of deck space (I have a flatbed). Being a diesel, my fuel mileage was not really discernable. When my fuel use demands lessened, I would fill my tractors and a couple of five gallion jugs and dump the rest in my home heating oil tanks. Handling was not much of an issue, in fact, I would keep the tank filled in the winter for traction.

I decided to remove the tank to increase my space for hay hauling. I have tried setting the tank on and strapping it down, bringing home the fuel and filling all my machines and jugs, etc. I find that to be a pain.

Being your truck is not your daily driver, I would have no problem mounting the tank on it.

One thing you do want to consider is insurance. My farm insurance covers chemical spills so if I was to have an incident and spill my fuel, I would be covered.

/ Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks....
I have farm bureau insurance and I believe I have spillage as well. I didn't think about that point so I'll have to verify that's the case. Thanks again everyone.

/ Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks.... #13  
Is it legal to have a DOT approved fuel tank mounted in the neck of a trailer.
I have considered this for myself with a low profile tank, but I am not sure if it is legal. This way it would not take up any bed or trailer space.

/ Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks....
rutwad said:
Is it legal to have a DOT approved fuel tank mounted in the neck of a trailer.
I have considered this for myself with a low profile tank, but I am not sure if it is legal. This way it would not take up any bed or trailer space.

I've seen it a couple of times locally but I would not want to put that much more tongue weight on my gooseneck.

/ Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks.... #15  
QRTRHRS said:
I had my 100 gallon Tractor Supply tank on my Dodge dually for at least three years. The biggest drawback was slightly limited vision and loss of deck space (I have a flatbed). Being a diesel, my fuel mileage was not really discernable. When my fuel use demands lessened, I would fill my tractors and a couple of five gallion jugs and dump the rest in my home heating oil tanks. Handling was not much of an issue, in fact, I would keep the tank filled in the winter for traction.

Why not just have home delivery to the fuel oil tanks and tap them for fuel for everything else?

/ Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks.... #16  
gordon21 said:
Here are some things to think about.

I assume the tank will have off road diesel in it. There is no reason to haul it around with you all day long everyday. It will hurt your mileage and you can't use the dyed fuel in your truck. It will also reduce the useable size of the bed.

The tank on the skid idea is workable if your FEL can handle 650-900# with the pallet forks installed. Your main worry here is securing it on the bed for the ride home. Hills, curves, etc. I would chain it at four corners minmum to the bed.

The simple and cheap solution is to drill a hole and mount a 2" hitch ball in the front edge of your FEL and move the fully loaded 5x8 trailer around with it. You can install or remove a ball on the front in a couple minutes without affecting whatever you have on the 3PT. All you need to move it is a little more power than your arms and shoulders can provide. You will be looking straight at it while you are backing the trailer into it's parking spot. If you have your own trackhoe and dozer, I'm guessing you have a box full of various hitch balls laying around somewhere.
Wouldn't it be simpler to just get home delivery to fill the tank?

/ Question about fuel transfer tanks on trucks.... #17  
Why not just have home delivery to the fuel oil tanks and tap them for fuel for everything else?
I have two tanks in the basement so I would have to install some means of pumping it back out. Then, I would be transferring fuel into my tractors, one of which holds 65 gallons, next to my house.

Generally, I don't dump all that much into the house tanks per sey. Usually, I dump fuel that has been sitting in the tank during damp weather prior to filling it with fresh fuel. I like to dump a quart of additive to 100 gallons.

(Perhaps I am being fussy but the injection system on my older Case seems to be in fine working order and I want to keep it that way.)

Getting back to adding to the house tanks, I have hauled home 100 gallons for those several times. I save five cents a gallon by picking up fuel over home delivery. When oil prices are high and my budget is tight, I don't have to call for say 400 gallons and shell out ~1000 bucks. There are also times during the winter when the oil truck cannot get up my driveway.