trailer ramps for dovetail

/ trailer ramps for dovetail #21  
I also think you should add a little more plate or bracing on the bottom where your addition meets the trailer. I attached a rough (very rough) drawing of where to add plate / bracing in red.

Attachments

• fishplate.JPG
    fishplate.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 870
   / trailer ramps for dovetail
SEON
just curious why didnt you just build longer ramps? i have seen trailers like yours with fold up ramps even some with helper springs so your not lifting so much. one guy suggested to me to use simi frame pieces, thats what he had used back in the day. I built my ramp so i could hit it with the z turn mower, but i also built because i didnt like messing with the ramps everytime i wanted on or off.

/ trailer ramps for dovetail #23  
workinallthetime said:
SEON
just curious why didnt you just build longer ramps?...

A couple of reasons but mainly economics.

1. I already had the steel from a previous project but none long enough to make a longer ramp.

2. Even if I bought more steel to make longer ramps, they would be a minimum of 8' long which would be too heavy. Then I'd have to buy heavy springs, cabling and other material to make a spring assist...(more money). The existing 5' long ramps are heavy enough but manageable, so I decided to build a 4' dovetail from existing steel and use the existing ramps.

BTW I do plan on welding braces under the dovetail for added support.

i hear ya, i spent about 250 on my ramp but my trailer has a dovetail on it allready. I love it but now im worried cause my b3030 gets here in a week or so and i hope it fits with the BH on it without driving it way up on the trailer putting the weight on the tongue :confused:

/ trailer ramps for dovetail #25  
workinallthetime said:
i...but now im worried cause my b3030 gets here in a week or so and i hope it fits with the BH on it without driving it way up on the trailer putting the weight on the tongue :confused:

That's why I changed from this 18' flatbed bumper pull to the 24' G/N. Now, it'll also let me transport a couple of attachments along with the tractor with room to spare.

Attachments

• CarsonTrl 001.jpg
    CarsonTrl 001.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 732
   / trailer ramps for dovetail #26  
Seon said:
Well I finished it up today but still need to paint them.

Are you going to move all the lights to the end of the ramps?

/ trailer ramps for dovetail #27  
Gamma said:
Are you going to move all the lights to the end of the ramps?

Yeah, I'll have to, otherwise I'll probably be pulled over. However, not at the end of the ramps but at the end of the trailer where the dove tail is attached.

Last edited:
the b3030 bearly fits on the 18 foot trailer with the ramps i built. i have to turn the BH to one side to close the gate. if i had a brush hog id be screwed but i have room up front for a box blade. new trailer might be in the works if business keeps up.

/ trailer ramps for dovetail #29  
George2615 said:
I also think you should add a little more plate or bracing on the bottom where your addition meets the trailer...

Well I decided to modify my dovetail to a fold up ramp. The reason is that I couldn't double tow the hydraulic dump trailer behind the gooseneck trailer.

Originally, I had an EZDump bed rated at 3tons in my dually pickup. Then when I bought the 5th wheel RV, I had to remove the insert dump. I then built a trailer and mounted the insert on the trailer. Here's the results. I'll still need to tweak the bracket to hold the ramps.
As you see in the bottome pic, the original ramps stows underneath the trailer.

When there's a will there's a way ;)

Attachments

• GNeck 001.jpg
    GNeck 001.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,293
  • GNeck 004.jpg
    GNeck 004.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 664
  • GNeck 005.jpg
    GNeck 005.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 624